Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3271
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I wonder if the sensor has enough back-and-forth motion range to accommodate the focus stacking requirements. I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I cannot guess what would be needed.
"It's complicated"!!

The amount of stacking possible with sensor movement is extremely sensitive to stacking scenario, focal length, and magnification.

For landscape stacks (stacking from foreground to infinity), shorter focal lengths work much better. If the sensor could move 10mm (and that means making the camera 10 mm thicker!), then it could do a landscape stack all the way from 0.1 meters to ∞ with a 28mm lens, but only do a stack from 1.1 meters ti ∞ with a 100mm lens and only 9.3 meters to ∞ with a 300mm lens.

For a modest macro (1:2) stacks, a sensor movement of 10mm would offer 23mm of stacking with a 28mm lens, 29 mm of stacking with a 50 mm lens, and 36mm of stacking with a 200 mm lens.

For high macro such as 2:1 stacks, a sensor movement of 10mm would offer only 2.1mm of stacking with a 28mm lens, 2.3 mm of stacking with a 50 mm lens, and 2.4mm of stacking with a 200 mm lens.

11-04-2019, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Well, we learned that the fixed LCD seems even more certain than it had.
I'm OK with it either way. I think the design is pretty much set now.
11-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #3273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Look's like Kimio Tanaka has had his hands on one and he says it feels good - a bit different but firmer than the K-3.

Photo of the Day 11?4?
Interesting comments.
11-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #3274
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like what we’ve seen is what we get as far as the body goes. Now all we need is the internals specifics and control functions.

11-04-2019, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #3275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Looks like what we’ve seen is what we get as far as the body goes. Now all we need is the internals specifics and control functions.
My pure guess tells me that it is not final body in all the details. I thing they left something for a small surprise.
11-04-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #3276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
My pure guess tells me that it is not final body in all the details. I thing they left something for a small surprise.
The final detail is the unlabeled button on the upper left rear of the body and what it actually does.
11-04-2019, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #3277
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I wonder what's the rationale behind a fixed screen in a camera that's not hardcore sports/journalism body with built-in grip like D5 or 1DX.
Perhaps it was to keep the camera within some target retail price, target physical size, or target mass.

Everyone wants a flagship camera but if it is too expensive, too big, or too large, fewer people will buy it.

Camera design always involves trade-offs. The challenge for the designers is in estimating the numbers of buyers added if the camera has some feature versus the number of buyers lost if that feature makes the camera costly and bulky.

11-04-2019, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #3278
Pentaxian

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't care whether this camera gets a movable LCD screen or not. It's great if it does & it's great if it doesn't. I can use the camera either way. Been doing it forever with a fixed screen K-50 & a fixed screen Sony a200 before that & a fixed screen Canon EOS before that. Hahaha!

My biggest interest is the AF accuracy, AF performance, & 5-axis IBIS that I hope they put in.
11-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #3279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^^ I’m with you.
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm probably one of the few that doesn't care whether this camera gets a movable LCD screen or not. It's great if it does & it's great if it doesn't. I can use the camera either way. Been doing it forever with a fixed screen K-50 & a fixed screen Sony a200 before that & a fixed screen Canon EOS before that. Hahaha!

My biggest interest is the AF accuracy, AF performance, & 5-axis IBIS that I hope they put in.
11-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #3280
Pentaxian

+1
11-04-2019, 09:45 AM - 3 Likes   #3281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The final detail is the unlabeled button on the upper left rear of the body and what it actually does.
^ This!

i'll try to learn more at the opening night of the Pop-Up Cafe in Paris. French people are talkative, in particular those who come from North Africa. If the distinguished Yazid Belmadi knows something, I'll make sure he spills the beans. I'll bring a goat and coarse salt with me.
11-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #3282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I prefer the term `available light'... I also rarely use a flash, but I will sometimes move the available light sources around, like in the picture below.

Maybe the new camera will come with a detachable iPad..?
As long as your subject is calm that is a great idea
11-04-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #3283
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
"It's complicated"!!

The amount of stacking possible with sensor movement is extremely sensitive to stacking scenario, focal length, and magnification.

For landscape stacks (stacking from foreground to infinity), shorter focal lengths work much better. If the sensor could move 10mm (and that means making the camera 10 mm thicker!), then it could do a landscape stack all the way from 0.1 meters to ∞ with a 28mm lens, but only do a stack from 1.1 meters ti ∞ with a 100mm lens and only 9.3 meters to ∞ with a 300mm lens.

For a modest macro (1:2) stacks, a sensor movement of 10mm would offer 23mm of stacking with a 28mm lens, 29 mm of stacking with a 50 mm lens, and 36mm of stacking with a 200 mm lens.

For high macro such as 2:1 stacks, a sensor movement of 10mm would offer only 2.1mm of stacking with a 28mm lens, 2.3 mm of stacking with a 50 mm lens, and 2.4mm of stacking with a 200 mm lens.
I had been thinking of much finer level of `stacking', just to ensure that the subject at the point of focus was indeed in focus. I don't even know if this kind of
thing would lead to perceptible differences in image quality.
11-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #3284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Look's like Kimio Tanaka has had his hands on one and he says it feels good - a bit different but firmer than the K-3.

Photo of the Day 11?4?
Firmer? My K-3ii doesn't have a whole lot of give.
11-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #3285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote

My sentiments exactly!!
Closed Thread