Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3229 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #3406
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May be playing out like GM and Ford in the early 70’s seeing small cars as the ‘future’ and rushing to us the Pinto and the Vega

11-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #3407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
May be playing out like GM and Ford in the early 70’s seeing small cars as the ‘future’ and rushing to us the Pinto and the Vega
And they are still trying to find their way. The Toyota "Camry" seems to me as large as a Chevrolet "Malibu" and the Toyota "Tundra" is a fairly large pickup - so something other than size is the secret to auto sale success also, just as MILC vs DSLR is not the secret success in the camera business.
11-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #3408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And they are still trying to find their way. The Toyota "Camry" seems to me as large as a Chevrolet "Malibu" and the Toyota "Tundra" is a fairly large pickup - so something other than size is the secret to auto sale success also, just as MILC vs DSLR is not the secret success in the camera business.
Have you seen the new Ford Ranger?
As a former owner of the last generation... dang, it got big...

But just like I think it is good that someone will keep selling regular cars, I think it's good Pentax is still selling SLRs...

-Eric
11-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #3409
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From Nikon:
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The competitive environment will intensify further on price and technological development alike.
Maybe they know more about the K-new than we do.

Actually, I suppose that would not be very surprising. But the choice of words at this time tickles my funny bone!

11-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #3410

named what?

Last edited by nnky; 11-08-2019 at 12:54 AM.
11-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #3411
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nnky Quote
named K-V
So it’s called Pentax KV?
11-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #3412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
K-V was a name suggested on DPR, something like 6 months ago. I've seen nothing since that suggests the name has been taken up.

11-08-2019, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #3413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Built like an actual tank this time. Eat it, Zenits.
11-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #3414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Doesn't surprise me.... those that wanted something new to tinker with that were excited about mirrorless have probally scratched that itch..... the rest of us just wait for stuff to help us take better photographs..... or have other itches.
Perhaps the rumored hybrid viewfinder is meant to scratch both itches... (or has that rumor been debunked already?)
11-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #3415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Perhaps the rumored hybrid viewfinder is meant to scratch both itches... (or has that rumor been debunked already?)
A hybrid viewfinder was patented by Ricoh - that part is not rumor. We do not know when/if they ever plan to use such a thing.
11-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #3416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A hybrid viewfinder was patented by Ricoh - that part is not rumor. We do not know when/if they ever plan to use such a thing.
Camera makers patent ideas all the time; I just read of Canon patenting a lens with a built-in blower that would remove dust from the sensor: Canon Designed a Lens That Sucks. Of course, just because something has been patented does not mean that it will ever be used in a production product.
11-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #3417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Camera makers patent ideas all the time; I just read of Canon patenting a lens with a built-in blower that would remove dust from the sensor: Canon Designed a Lens That Sucks. Of course, just because something has been patented does not mean that it will ever be used in a production product.
It's true, but the value-added of a hybrid viewfinder (if it doesn't add $$$ to the price) would be significant. A lens with an attached leaf-blower, perhaps less so.
11-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #3418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
It's true, but the value-added of a hybrid viewfinder (if it doesn't add $$$ to the price) would be significant. A lens with an attached leaf-blower, perhaps less so.
If Pentax can make a hybrid viewfinder work at a reasonable price, then that could be a potential competitive advantage. We'll find out if it made the cut with their next DSLR.

I use my K-5's Shake Reduction feature to shake dust off the sensor when I power up my camera, so a lens with an integrated dust removal blower has little appeal to me.
11-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #3419
Veteran Member

I use my K-5's Shake Reduction feature to shake dust off the sensor when I power up my camera, so a lens with an integrated dust removal blower has little appeal to me.
Exactly, me too.
11-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #3420

If Pentax can make a hybrid viewfinder work at a reasonable price, then that could be a potential competitive advantage. We'll find out if it made the cut with their next DSLR.

Don't most cameras have that functionality? Why would you need such a blow-function then?
Closed Thread