Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Absolutely ridiculous! How can anyone take this as a serious move? That all you got, Ricoh? A hotshoe cover, REALLY?
There’s still more than 2 months for the event, and maybe more products to come...
Were you expecting something in particular?

09-21-2019, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lighten up and take a breath. They wouldn’t make this stuff if people didn’t buy this stuff.
09-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Lighten up and take a breath. They wouldn’t make this stuff if people didn’t buy this stuff.
I wonder how hard it might be to make a similar item? It appears to be a chip of metal pressed and glued onto the standard plastic cover.

Steve
09-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
So can we say the wait is over and this is what we are going to get for Pentax 100 years anniversary?

09-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I wonder how hard it might be to make a similar item? It appears to be a chip of metal pressed and glued onto the standard plastic cover.

Steve
If correct, hat’s awful. Looks like reverse etched metal screened over the polished surface with a machine riveted pull tab,

It would be pretty easy to have some made if you could find a shop, but expensive because of the cost of the screen and machine setup. I’d bet there are members here who could fabricate a small number of pieces. For that price I can’t believe it isn’t solid aluminum (I actually think it is). Machined aluminum and reverse screen washed isn’t that hard. Glued to the existing covers is more or less a 10c / piece advertising specialty.

I could have a client CNC machine anything, ask a fellow Scouter to cast anything in bronze, or have a fellow Kiwanis member fashion something in gold or silver. But who would I sell them to?

This kind of thing neither excites nor bothers me. I have a box full of 60’s through 70’s logo merch sent to me by a former Pentax Rep. That stuff is cool and everything but where would I wear a KX Belt Buckle? What should I do with Store Display camera stands? Or a transparent Store Demonstrator SF-1n?

Last edited by monochrome; 09-21-2019 at 07:53 PM.
09-21-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This kind of thing neither excites nor bothers me. I have a box full of 60’s through 70’s logo merch sent to me by a former Pentax Rep. That stuff is cool and everything but where would I wear a KX Belt Buckle? What should I do with Store Display camera stands? Or a transparent Store Demonstrator SF-1n?
Start a roadside attraction on Rt 66?

Steve
09-21-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Start a roadside attraction on Rt 66?

Steve
Easy! Just 2 blocks from my house!*

* Formerly Rural, 1859-founded railroad town with a town square, vigorous businesses and live Amtrak station. St. Louis County grew around us but we never widened the road, so Route 66 has a yellow line and stoplights here. Last weekend we had our annual Greentree Parade (partly) along Route 66 with 365 High School students marching (cheerleaders, pommies and marching band), plus floats by all the churches, VFW, Kiwanis, Rotary, Boy Scout Troops, Moolah Shrine Men in fezes driving little cars, Police Motorcycle Club, politicians shaking hands, etc. Still 1959 here.

09-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Easy! Just 2 blocks from my house!*
Cool!

Another Roadside Attraction - Wikipedia

Steve
09-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve
I’ve only seen the photo in the media release – is there another?

The accompanying text says, inter alia: “This accessory features a metallic base treated with a honing process that creates a high-grade finish.” No clue there that there’s a plastic foot.
09-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

There isn't of course.
09-22-2019, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
“This accessory features a metallic base treated with a honing process that creates a high-grade finish.” No clue there that there’s a plastic foot.
Brushed stainless?

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
There isn't of course.
It does still need to be electrically insulated.

09-22-2019, 03:57 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So THAT is the design challenge where they transferred all the engineers who had been working on a mirrorless body!.
09-22-2019, 04:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Brushed stainless?

It does still need to be electrically insulated.
Well, it needs to not short the contacts, anyway. Some flashes have metal feet – they just don't make contact where it matters (electrically).
09-22-2019, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Formerly Rural, 1859-founded railroad town with a town square, vigorous businesses and live Amtrak station. St. Louis County grew around us but we never widened the road, so Route 66 has a yellow line and stoplights here. Last weekend we had our annual Greentree Parade (partly) along Route 66 with 365 High School students marching (cheerleaders, pommies and marching band), plus floats by all the churches, VFW, Kiwanis, Rotary, Boy Scout Troops, Moolah Shrine Men in fezes driving little cars, Police Motorcycle Club, politicians shaking hands, etc. Still 1959 here.
So the talk at your local camera shop must be interesting if it's still 1959...
"I've heard Pentax is going to put a meter in their next camera... AsahiBoy said it on the last newsletter..."
"That's ridiculous, they're going to go mirrorless, like the M3..."
Have you seen the new Kodak? that's the future of cameras..."

-Eric
09-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Absolutely ridiculous! How can anyone take this as a serious move? That all you got, Ricoh? A hotshoe cover, REALLY?
My sentiments exactly....

---------- Post added 09-22-19 at 05:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
So can we say the wait is over and this is what we are going to get for Pentax 100 years anniversary?
Exciting Huh ?Im sitting here shaking my head and only one word comes to mind....."Pathetic" !
Oh well.....we have all been here before.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 09-22-2019 at 05:50 AM.