Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Does anyone keep track or count how many times they recharge camera batteries? Certainly wouldn’t want my camera to pop a note on screen telling me I’ve reached the recharge count limit
I recharge and inspect batteries on every Monday - so I'll never have one quietly going bad on the shelf.

10-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like that it appears this camera may have mount illumination (by the openings under prism bulge.

Regarding batteries, this all getting a bit off topic but I have not had any batteries fail (or cause camera problems) personally and one of my batteries was manufactured in 2011. I do try to not to store them fully charged (when practical) though - as keeping lithium batteries fully charged ages them faster. That said I have noticed some reduction in capacity however.
10-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does anyone keep track or count how many times they recharge camera batteries?
Counting on my fingers, I get pretty close to 500 partial charges on the somewhat suspect battery.
10-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Interesting. As previously mentioned it never occured to me. Always felt like they were mechanical engineers first.
Optical engineers, electrical engineers1 and manufacturing process engineere really.. (last is a Ricoh core skill).

1 IBIS / PixelShift is an electromagnetic system rather than a mechanical system

10-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I hope we are going back to ancient times, when the K10D was almost in the same class as the D200 but (much) more affordable.
And DPR was already biased against it. I remember clearly.
10-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Nope; count me in, as well. I just don't use all the focus points available.
Who does? They are there if you need them as focus and recompose doesn't always work especially with shallow depths of field.
10-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So you're saying that the Pentax batteries don't last the advertised 500 recharges, or do you recharge often enough that you reach 500 recharges in 5 or 6 years??
I've never seen an advertisement saying they last 500 recharges and I've never gotten the average number of shots from them either. I'm not a stickler who says "this battery should get me 300 shutter actuations" and if it doesn't its junk, there are too many variables that affect battery life. I try to have extra batteries with me whenever I'm out shooting.

10-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone keep track or count how many times they recharge camera batteries? Certainly wouldn’t want my camera to pop a note on screen telling me I’ve reached the recharge count limit.
You'd have to be a bit OCD to do that in my opinion.
10-02-2019, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I try to have extra batteries with me whenever I'm out shooting.
I just have the one in the camera, if it goes flat I've been out too long.
10-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never seen an advertisement saying they last 500 recharges and I've never gotten the average number of shots from them either. I'm not a stickler who says "this battery should get me 300 shutter actuations" and if it doesn't its junk, there are too many variables that affect battery life. I try to have extra batteries with me whenever I'm out shooting.
Anytime I go out on a planned shoot I carry at least two spare batteries and a couple of SD cards. Ya never know.
10-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I recharge and inspect batteries on every Monday - so I'll never have one quietly going bad on the shelf.
So they quietly go bad in your camera?? When one of mine needs charging I take a new one off the top of the battery stack and pull it out of its zip lock bag and put it in the camera. I then take the low battery to the charger along with the zip lock bag and when the charge is complete it goes in the zip lock bag and to the bottom of the battery stack. Works like a charm.
10-02-2019, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(...)

They certainly design the AF sensors. I don’t think it is known whether they actually fabricate them or farm it out, but I suspect Ricoh has fab capability.
I'm afraid Ricoh don't have semiconductor / sensor / VLSI fab capability.
10-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Counting on my fingers, I get pretty close to 500 partial charges on the somewhat suspect battery.
You just have pretty big hands for that many fingers.

I just label my batteries from 1 to whatever and I rotate them on down the line whenever they need charging. If 1 needs to be charged, I pop in 2, then 3, etc until I get to the end.
10-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm afraid Ricoh don't have semiconductor / sensor / VLSI fab capability.
Probably not (anymore?).
This things have become way too costly, even for older processes.

And if so they might have to use Nikon stuff they'd probably like to avoid (this is not serious at all but fun anyway).
10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So they quietly go bad in your camera?? When one of mine needs charging I take a new one off the top of the battery stack and pull it out of its zip lock bag and put it in the camera. I then take the low battery to the charger along with the zip lock bag and when the charge is complete it goes in the zip lock bag and to the bottom of the battery stack. Works like a charm.
I have only a couple batteries so when one runs out it gets unceremoniously tossed in the backpack and the other goes in... I have never managed to empty either of them in a single day anyway.
Closed Thread