Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2019, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Well, old Canon 5D1 and 70-200/2.8 IS1 is faster than K-1 and 70-200 D-FA.

09-24-2019, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax cameras have come a long way over the last several years. I expect this to be another step along that way with regard to auto focus performance.

I would say a couple of things. First of all, with regard to DP Review, I don't trust their testing enough to believe them with regard to tracking auto focus performance. If they say it's good, I guess that's nice, but they don't really have a reproducible test that they do for all cameras. Second, Pentax lenses are what they are. People saying that Pentax doesn't have enough ring motor driven lenses, enough long fast lenses (600 f4, 300 f2.8 etc) or enough third party support really need to move on to another mount that offers those things. I don't want to see anyone leave, but Pentax just released the 70-200 f2.8. They aren't going to either replace it with a Tamron lens or re-release it with a faster motor.

Personally, I think Pentax lenses are optically stellar and "good enough" when it comes to auto focus. The SDM lenses in the past weren't great, but the more recent DC motor driven ones are quite a bit better. And I don't know about Tamron's motors being so much better either. I own the DFA 24-70 and 15-30 which are Tamron re-badges and while they are fine with regard to auto focus speed, I wouldn't say that they are significantly faster than the DFA * 70-200.
09-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Compared D810 with Tamron 70-200G2 and K1II with DFA*70-200. Quite different lenses in terms of focusing/refocusing.
This is actually why I asked. K-1 m2 should be the weak link at here. We will see when and if that focusing system will be actually remade.
09-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
Pffff, take a chill pill 🙃 shooting with Pentax cameras is not a religion 🤪 I for one are interested how it performs compared to other cameras. User experiences are valuable, especially coming from guys using several systems
I've posted this earlier, but never mind: "Compared side by side, from fastest to slowest lens AF speed (my own tests):
Canon 100-400 => Sigma 150-600 Sport => Nikon 200-500 => Pentax 150-450 => Tamron 150-600 G1 => Sigma 150-600 C
The Canon 100-400 II AF motor is faster than Nikon, but the Nikon tracking is more sticky than the Canon.

So, before suggesting that a new Pentax camera model will be slower because Pentax doesn't have a fast enough lens, wait until the camera is released and real.

09-24-2019, 03:51 AM - 9 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon users shooting hundreds of the same dull landscape in full mid-day sun image, in burst mode. I'm afraid that photography isn't like using a machine gun in a battle field.
I have always thought of photographers as working a lot like a sniper, it is pointless to fire multiple shots when only one good shot is what you need.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-01-2019 at 05:10 PM.
09-24-2019, 04:36 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm always thought of photographers as working a lot like a sniper, it is pointless to fire multiple shots when only one good shot is what you need.
+1

You may not enjoy watching Irene Rudnyk (YouTuber). It just always rubs me the wrong way how she rapid fires during a portrait shoot even when nothing had a chance to change between shots.
09-24-2019, 04:46 AM - 3 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA*70-200 lacks ultrasonic ring motor. This lens should be upgraded or replaced by rebadged Tamron 70-200/2.8 G2 if they lack resources.
Say WHAT??

The DFA*70-200 has a ring motor. Its AF is fast, and the lens is optically incredible. If the D810 does better with a third party lens it's probably because the AF algorithm in the body is better. The lens doesn't need a refresh.

09-24-2019, 04:46 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
This is actually why I asked. K-1 m2 should be the weak link at here. We will see when and if that focusing system will be actually remade.

The lens is comparatively slow even if you put cap on it and just go from infinity to shortest focus and back. Camera of course has some impact, but well.. even my old K5 with Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II can do fast moving objects quite well if AF has enough light and good contrast, because that fast strong ring motor helps a lot.

DA18-135WR is quite fast focusing lens too and has no USM ring, but those are tiny elements when compared to 70-200/2.8. And 70-200/2.8 lenses are very classic somewhat standardized lenses. Nowdays every 70-200 on market except DFA*70-200 has ring type ultrasonic motor. No matter if Canon (since 80") or Nikon or Sony or Sigma or Tamron.

70-200 has to be even faster than 15-30 or 24-70, because with telephoto you are often tracking some small subject and if you miss the shot, the background difference is usually big and it takes time to run forward and back. Especially brutal changes if you try to track some sports or action.

Concerning the price of DFA*70-200 there is no reason to exclude ring ultrasonic motor... much cheaper and still optically comparable Tammy has it.

And it is hard to compete on market against other systems who have such lenses in several versions from several manufacturers. Would you buy K1II with pentamron 15-30 + pentamron 24-70 + DFA*70-200 or D850 + tamron 15-30G2 + tamron 24-70G2 + tamron 70-200G2? In local shops it is cheaper to get the second... and D850 has more resolution, more lenses in ecosystem available and those tamrons are G2 versions while Pentax is based on Gen1..

Good luck with such competition.

btw nicely pointed out also here:

#theCameravillePentax K-1 + Pentax * 70-200 Review vs Nikon D810 + Tamron G2 70-200

---------- Post added 24-09-19 at 01:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Say WHAT??

The DFA*70-200 has a ring motor. Its AF is fast, and the lens is optically incredible. If the D810 does better with a third party lens it's probably because the AF algorithm in the body is better. The lens doesn't need a refresh.

It has DC motor. It is even written in the lens name...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-24-2019 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Rude comments removed - for the LAST time
09-24-2019, 05:04 AM - 4 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently you do not know what are you talking about. It has DC motor. It is even written in the lens name... don't lie please
Sometimes I'm amazed by the patience of our moderators ... kudos Sandy!

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 09-24-2019 at 06:07 AM.
09-24-2019, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently you do not know what are you talking about. It has DC motor. It is even written in the lens name.
Of course the DFA* 70-200 has a DC motor. Educate me - is it not another type of ring motor? If I'm mistaken, I apologise.

I maintain that any difference is more likely due to Nikon's AF algorithm rather than any superiority of the Tamron. Comparing one outcome between platforms when there are multiple variables is, frankly, a stretch.
09-24-2019, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course the DFA* 70-200 has a DC motor. Educate me - is it not another type of ring motor? If I'm mistaken, I apologise.

I maintain that any difference is more likely due to Nikon's AF algorithm rather than any superiority of the Tamron. Comparing one outcome between platforms when there are multiple variables is, frankly, a stretch.
I keep thinking about this comparison with the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8

That is a huge difference in real-world performance just in the time it takes to move the lens. The Nikon also gives the focus-confirmation beep more quickly once the lens has stopped moving. Body and lens both contribute to AF performance, but the body is limited more by the lens performance.
09-24-2019, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Body and lens both contribute to AF performance, but the body is limited more by the lens performance.
If you change both components of a system you simply can not make that conclusion. Because science.
09-24-2019, 05:38 AM - 5 Likes   #73
Pentaxian

The lens is comparatively slow even if you put cap on it and just go from infinity to shortest focus and back. Camera of course has some impact, but well.. even my old K5 with Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II can do fast moving objects quite well if AF has enough light and good contrast, because that fast strong ring motor helps a lot.

DA18-135WR is quite fast focusing lens too and has no USM ring, but those are tiny elements when compared to 70-200/2.8. And 70-200/2.8 lenses are very classic somewhat standardized lenses. Nowdays every 70-200 on market except DFA*70-200 has ring type ultrasonic motor. No matter if Canon (since 80") or Nikon or Sony or Sigma or Tamron.

70-200 has to be even faster than 15-30 or 24-70, because with telephoto you are often tracking some small subject and if you miss the shot, the background difference is usually big and it takes time to run forward and back. Especially brutal changes if you try to track some sports or action.

Concerning the price of DFA*70-200 there is no reason to exclude ring ultrasonic motor... much cheaper and still optically comparable Tammy has it.

And it is hard to compete on market against other systems who have such lenses in several versions from several manufacturers. Would you buy K1II with pentamron 15-30 + pentamron 24-70 + DFA*70-200 or D850 + tamron 15-30G2 + tamron 24-70G2 + tamron 70-200G2? In local shops it is cheaper to get the second... and D850 has more resolution, more lenses in ecosystem available and those tamrons are G2 versions while Pentax is based on Gen1..

Good luck with such competition. And no, please don't try to tell fairy tales about how DFA*70-200 is optically superior.. those are rather equal.

btw nicely pointed out also here:

#theCameravillePentax K-1 + Pentax * 70-200 Review vs Nikon D810 + Tamron G2 70-200

Pentax K-1 + Pentax * 70-200 Review vs Nikon D810 + Tamron G2 70-200 - YouTube

---------- Post added 24-09-19 at 01:49 PM ----------

Apparently you do not know what are you talking about. It has DC motor. It is even written in the lens name... don't lie please.
WoW. Have to say. it was quite neutral question from me.

Second of all. Did watch that video you linked. That guy should adjust focus.

Third of all. I have the lens. I have K-1 I shoot with it quite often. I know it is K-1 what is pulling it back.

I think that I did not actually deserve that kind of attack from you. I can pull my own conclusions of you, and why you always attack Pentaxians. You basically draw your conclusions from these videos, and 'reviews'.Oone thign what DFA*70-200 do give is consistancy. Sure it is not the fastest out there. But it for sure is no slouch, you say it is, based on -videos-. I'd say put your money where your mouth is.

It is easy to be 'armchair expert'. Almost like troll with your 'conclusions' and verdicts at some point in most of these threads, just going to make it more easy for me in future(ignore). Sorry, if I offended you.
09-24-2019, 05:39 AM - 5 Likes   #74
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Sometimes I'm amazed by the patience of our moderators ... kudos Sandy!
I'm not so patient. Post edited.
09-24-2019, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

There ARE DC Ring motors. Asahiman hinted at such a drive in the dFAs.

Until someone opens his lens we will not know for sure.

BTW there are incredibly slow ring USM drives out there as well.
Closed Thread