Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Sshhhh, don't tell the Sony people that their spec sheets don't make good compositions by themselves. They get grumpy.

Oh no, the Sony people got you!

Nevermind, still sound of mind . I feel the same way, the slow workflow makes things very enjoyable.
Verryy funny. Thanks for that!

10-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use mostly TAv mode - that way I, empasis on the I, have control over both aperture and shutter speed. With the KP, it is really hard for me in most cases to get the ISO too high.
It's definitely TAv when I shoot action. Too bad for other systems. I was told all of them don't have this feature.
10-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #348
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
It's definitely TAv when I shoot action. Too bad for other systems. I was told all of them don't have this feature.
At least some Canon cameras use 'M' + auto ISO .... which gives the same results via a slightly different path.
10-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At least some Canon cameras use 'M' + auto ISO .... which gives the same results via a slightly different path.
This is what I use on my K-01 (which lacks TAv). What's lost, though, is the ability to set exposure compensation.

10-04-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #350
Pentaxian

Hopefully with additional af points we'll have better performance in tracking moving subjects.
10-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #351
Pentaxian

Everybody is expecting a major change in AF.C speed. I hope it will quite a leap.
10-04-2019, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #352
Pentaxian

Everybody is expecting a major change in AF.C speed. I hope it will quite a leap.
Achieving the speed that of a Nikon D500 is a quantum leap for us Pentaxians

10-05-2019, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Achieving the speed that of a Nikon D500 is a quantum leap for us Pentaxians
I don't think Pentax will be able to match the D500's AF.C. But who knows maybe it can. But I think AF.C as good as the D7200 would do.
10-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #354
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax will be able to match the D500's AF.C. But who knows maybe it can. But I think AF.C as good as the D7200 would do.
In dreams 😊
10-05-2019, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #355
Veteran Member

Both Canon and Nikon have this feature. In Manual mode you have to set ISO to Auto and you'll basically have a TAV mode with exposure compensation available. I rarely use any other mode in my camera because I don't mind having high ISO in some situations as long it will remain in the range selected by me, which is 100 ISO to 12800 ISO.

But, if you shoot action, let's hope that Pentax will add some features that will help you in this regard:
1. a better custom af system to let you select and fine tune the best af settings depending on subject movement
2. a dedicated button to change in speed Af from Af-S to Af-C (I have the DOF preview button set for this); from the photos of the camera it seems that it will have one
3. The option to hide the Af modes that you don't need given the things you're going to photograph:
- you can hide Spot Af and Large group area for example and let active only Single af point and 5 af points (this will reduce time when you shoot a bird on a branch using single point af and with a press of a button you go to 5 af points to track the bird if it's going to fly from the branch)
- you can also hide the af points that are not f8 sensitive in order to have active only the af points compatible at f8 with 1.4x or 2x TCs
4. we know that this new Pentax camera will have a joystick which is very good for changing the Af points; to this joystick you can set also a few things to speed your shooting:
- af point/points that can be set differently for shooting vertical or horizontal (if you rotate the camera, the focus points will switch to the one you customized); also, if you need the center point fast, with one click you can go from top left af point for example to the center one
- af points selection movement that can be customize so that it won't stop at AF area edges (I set this to move the af point over to the other side when I am close to the edge and it's very usefull)
5. Anti-flicker which is very handy when you shoot action under artificial lights

As I said a few comments back, Pentax seems to release a more sport/action oriented camera given the joystick and another few things that can be seen in the images with the camera. Given how well received was KP in terms of image quality, if Pentax will improve the af system, it will have a very apealing camera for the ones shooting sport and BIF.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-05-2019 at 07:36 AM.
10-05-2019, 02:59 AM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
As I said a few comments back, Pentax seems to release a more sport/action oriented camera given the joystick and another few things that can be seen in the images with the camera. Given how well received was KP in terms of image quality, if Pentax will improve the af system, it will have a very apealing camera for the ones shooting sport and BIF.
Better AF will not hurt anybody. As Pentax is a small company, I'm afraid they can't develop several models for different users. On APS-C, other companies develop cameras for studio work (more resolution usually), others more action oriented (less MP, faster AF, more buffer, better low light behabiour), and also they have entry cameras. Pentax can develop just one 'advanced camera' on APS-C, so it's hard to fulfull requirements for so many different users.
In my case, I'd be happy with 26MP and better AF. When I sell prints, I send just 4,5MP pictures to the lab, so really 16MP is more than enough for me. Before processing pics, I use to compress RAWs with DNG converter to save space. My equipment can handle 24Mpx more or less OK, but it's slow handling 36MP K1 RAWs for example. So more MPx is worse for me, apoint against buy a new camera, I prefer less MP and better low light behaviour.
Yes I know, sure I need to upgrade my computer, but not by now, it works fine with C1, I'm so happy with this software.
10-05-2019, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Better AF will not hurt anybody. As Pentax is a small company, I'm afraid they can't develop several models for different users. On APS-C, other companies develop cameras for studio work (more resolution usually), others more action oriented (less MP, faster AF, more buffer, better low light behabiour), and also they have entry cameras. Pentax can develop just one 'advanced camera' on APS-C, so it's hard to fulfull requirements for so many different users.
In my case, I'd be happy with 26MP and better AF. When I sell prints, I send just 4,5MP pictures to the lab, so really 16MP is more than enough for me. Before processing pics, I use to compress RAWs with DNG converter to save space. My equipment can handle 24Mpx more or less OK, but it's slow handling 36MP K1 RAWs for example. So more MPx is worse for me, apoint against buy a new camera, I prefer less MP and better low light behaviour.
Yes I know, sure I need to upgrade my computer, but not by now, it works fine with C1, I'm so happy with this software.
Ricoh traditionally improved Af on each model released, so I'm sure that this new camera will also have better Af than K-3 II line. As for resolution, I don't need either more than 20mp.
10-05-2019, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Ricoh traditionally improved Af on each model released, so I'm sure that this new camera will also have better Af than K-3 II line. As for resolution, I don't need either more than 20mp.
For me more resolution is good because they don't offer a sports-oriented, fast-focusing lens longer than the 55-300PLM. When shooting things like soccer I often crop pretty aggressively to make up for not getting close enough to the action. I guess 20 or 24MP would be fine if there was a ~400mm lens that focused really fast.
10-05-2019, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
For me more resolution is good because they don't offer a sports-oriented, fast-focusing lens longer than the 55-300PLM. When shooting things like soccer I often crop pretty aggressively to make up for not getting close enough to the action. I guess 20 or 24MP would be fine if there was a ~400mm lens that focused really fast.
In sport I rarely see lenses longer than 400mm f2.8 which in 99% of the time they are mounted on full frame cameras. With 55-300mm PLM you'll have a field of view of 450mm if you mount the lens on a crop camera, so you should be covered from the reach perspective. You loose some light due to aperture of the lens at 300mm, but if the new camera will have similar or better high ISO performance than KP, then you should get decent high ISO images.
10-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #360
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In the new Pentax Story microsites they have the DFA* 70-200 as well as the 150-450 mounted on K-3's. It's quite interesting to see in official Pentax material imho.
Closed Thread