Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 06:59 AM - 3 Likes   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I really don't know what pro sports photographers use. I have a buddy who shoots DC United matches for one of their supporters clubs, I should ask. But all I know is standing almost on the sideline of a soccer match the far side of the field requires cropping with a 55-300. If I'm farther away I definitely need some extra reach to get the players to fill the frame and not have every shot look like a random gathering of 14 players. FF and 300mm seems awfully short unless you're moving around the pitch and constantly keeping up with the action.
According to Canon and Nikon who are present at most of the major sport events, the most used lenses by pro photographers are:

1. 400mm f2.8 (this was the most used lens at the World Cup 2018 due to reach and fast aperture)
2. 300mm f2.8 (used at soccer, tennis, basketball, etc.)
3. 200-400mm f4 - the one that has 1.4x TC built in (used a lot at the Olimpics)
4. 70-200mm f2.8 (this lens is usually mounted on the second body)
5. 16-35mm f2.8 (this is a very used lens and is mounted on the third body)
6. 200mm f2 (used indoor)

At outdoor sports like boat racing, skying, etc. they also use 500mm f4 and 600mm f4 lenses.

One of the advantages of pro sport photographers is that they can choose the spot to shoot from and they can change it if they need to. They have this freedom given their press credentials. As an amateur you don't have this luxury and therefore you may need some extra reach on the lens to compensate the lack of a good spot to shoot, which I understand.

10-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If you don't compromise the aperture you will compromise the weight and size of the lens. It's about choosing the compromise that fits you best.
Yep, we have to compromise. I don't know how much is the weight of the Tamron 100-400 vs. Pentax 150-450. Anyway, it's just a dream for me for Pentax to make one. Who knows, maybe someday I might decide to get a 150-450.
10-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #408
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote

Yep, we have to compromise. I don't know how much is the weight of the Tamron 100-400 vs. Pentax 150-450. Anyway, it's just a dream for me for Pentax to make one. Who knows, maybe someday I might decide to get a 150-450.
The Tamron us about 1132 grams or 2.5 pounds while the Pentax is 2000 grams or about 4.4 pounds. So the Tamron weighs about half as much as the Pentax.
10-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #409
Pentaxian

(...) I don't know how much is the weight of the Tamron 100-400 vs. Pentax 150-450. (...)
  • Tamron 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD: 1,135g
  • Pentax D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 ED DC AW: 2,000g

10-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't know what pro sports photographers use. I have a buddy who shoots DC United matches for one of their supporters clubs, I should ask. But all I know is standing almost on the sideline of a soccer match the far side of the field requires cropping with a 55-300. If I'm farther away I definitely need some extra reach to get the players to fill the frame and not have every shot look like a random gathering of 14 players. FF and 300mm seems awfully short unless you're moving around the pitch and constantly keeping up with the action.
Per my son - college lacrosse shooters use 400mm lenses if they’re willing to move with the action; 600mm lenses if they want to stand at a corner and fire away. Many have two cameras and both lenses. Some shoot in teams.
10-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, it's about 1.1 kg (which isn't that much) compared to the mastodon that is the 150-450 (2.3 kg with tripod foot and hood). You pay an extra kg for 50mm of reach, 1/3rd of a stop faster aperture and better IQ (probably) & build quality (most definitely). It would be great if their compromise fit you, but sometimes it doesn't happen :/
10-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #412
Pentaxian

I can just dream of that Tamron and also dream that Pentax will make one. I guess its dream and dream only.������

10-06-2019, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #413
Pentaxian

I really don't see the point of the lock lever when you could just make the lock button in the middle of the dial a bit taller for easier operation.
Well, you'd hear me cursing if they ever made a lock again that one cannot permanently disable.

I don't want to get my fingers into any kind of contortion just to change a mode.

My mode dials never changed on their own and if one of them ever did, it would take me next to no time to turn it into right position (without finger acrobatics).
10-06-2019, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What we need is part kits for the preferences! (My mode dial has a tendency to end up in bulb, somehow )
10-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #415
Pentaxian

My mode dial has a tendency to end up in bulb, somehow
Check the images on your cards; perhaps you are an astrophotography sleepwalker!
10-06-2019, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #416
Pentaxian

If 100-400 is 6.3, 1.4 TC will make 5.6 something around 7.8?
This thread is supposedly about the new APS-C camera; assuming this camera is at least as good as my KP - and that is a very good assumption - I don't worry about aperture any more. The KP's higher ISO performance is just fine, so we won't have to worry about higher ISO for the new camera also. I first started thinking about higher ISO when I discovered that a 'pro' photographer, who presumably could pick any lens he wanted, was shooting the National Final Four using a higher ISO value using Canon equipment; he had chosen f/6.3, and had gone to a much higher ISO setting so he could still use a higher shutter speed. If that was good enough for him, it will be good enough for us, thanks to the fine folk at Pentax.

10-07-2019, 01:19 AM - 2 Likes   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This thread is supposedly about the new APS-C camera; assuming this camera is at least as good as my KP - and that is a very good assumption - I don't worry about aperture any more. The KP's higher ISO performance is just fine, so we won't have to worry about higher ISO for the new camera also. I first started thinking about higher ISO when I discovered that a 'pro' photographer, who presumably could pick any lens he wanted, was shooting the National Final Four using a higher ISO value using Canon equipment; he had chosen f/6.3, and had gone to a much higher ISO setting so he could still use a higher shutter speed. If that was good enough for him, it will be good enough for us, thanks to the fine folk at Pentax.
Yep he had gone to a much higher ISO. Something the KP is very much capable of handling. The KP might even beat Canon's image quality.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-08-2019 at 05:30 AM. Reason: naughty word
10-07-2019, 01:44 AM   #418
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
...had gone to a much higher ISO setting so he could still use a higher shutter speed. If that was good enough for him, it will be good enough for us,..
Yes, but...

I suspect that some of these high ISO images would not pass a pixel peeping test. More importantly, this may not apply to sporting events, but there are situations that benefit from maximum dynamic range, which you do not get at ISO 8000.
10-07-2019, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
According to Canon and Nikon who are present at most of the major sport events, the most used lenses by pro photographers are:

1. 400mm f2.8 (this was the most used lens at the World Cup 2018 due to reach and fast aperture)
2. 300mm f2.8 (used at soccer, tennis, basketball, etc.)
3. 200-400mm f4 - the one that has 1.4x TC built in (used a lot at the Olimpics)
4. 70-200mm f2.8 (this lens is usually mounted on the second body)
5. 16-35mm f2.8 (this is a very used lens and is mounted on the third body)
6. 200mm f2 (used indoor)

At outdoor sports like boat racing, skying, etc. they also use 500mm f4 and 600mm f4 lenses.

One of the advantages of pro sport photographers is that they can choose the spot to shoot from and they can change it if they need to. They have this freedom given their press credentials. As an amateur you don't have this luxury and therefore you may need some extra reach on the lens to compensate the lack of a good spot to shoot, which I understand.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Per my son - college lacrosse shooters use 400mm lenses if they’re willing to move with the action; 600mm lenses if they want to stand at a corner and fire away. Many have two cameras and both lenses. Some shoot in teams.
Thanks, both of these posts seem to make intuitive sense given my experience shooting soccer. I'm assuming most pros use FF cameras?

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 07:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Yes, but...

I suspect that some of these high ISO images would not pass a pixel peeping test. More importantly, this may not apply to sporting events, but there are situations that benefit from maximum dynamic range, which you do not get at ISO 8000.
Action and sports is rarely about pixel peeping. If you look at an iconic photo of Ali or the 1980 hockey team or Federer winning a match the last thing you're thinking is "if I blow this up to a meter wide there's a chance the dynamic range and noise will render his arm hairs somewhat blurry." It's capturing a moment. I'll post shots of my kids' soccer matches to our team shared site and include pictures with slightly missed focus if it's a key, exciting moment of the match. Because having a shot of that moment is way more important than making 100% sure it'll stand up to pixel peeping.
10-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #420

Thanks, both of these posts seem to make intuitive sense given my experience shooting soccer. I'm assuming most pros use FF cameras?

---------- Post added 10-07-19 at 07:21 AM ----------

Action and sports is rarely about pixel peeping. If you look at an iconic photo of Ali or the 1980 hockey team or Federer winning a match the last thing you're thinking is "if I blow this up to a meter wide there's a chance the dynamic range and noise will render his arm hairs somewhat blurry." It's capturing a moment. I'll post shots of my kids' soccer matches to our team shared site and include pictures with slightly missed focus if it's a key, exciting moment of the match. Because having a shot of that moment is way more important than making 100% sure it'll stand up to pixel peeping.
That depends on who's buying the photos. I've seen buyer arguments over who's promo logo (on sports players uniforms or in the background playing field boards) gets the sharper focus and at times it almost came to blows. So yes pixel peeping in sports is real when you get down to the money and saying that the promoters are vicious is an understatement.
Closed Thread