Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Even a cheaply built 400/4 is going to have a more complex design than my Tamron, so there's just not much that can be done to make it a lightweight.
They could add hover technology in heavy lenses. Just dial in the distance from the ground. Would feel weightless and no need of a tripod.

10-07-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Yes, but...

I suspect that some of these high ISO images would not pass a pixel peeping test. More importantly, this may not apply to sporting events, but there are situations that benefit from maximum dynamic range, which you do not get at ISO 8000.
People generally don't "Pixel Peek" sports pictures; "the moment" is much more important than absolute quality of the image.

More important, the 'accelerator' provides serious Dynamic Range at higher ISO. The chart below shows that the Pentax KP nearly matches the Canon 1DXii as far out as 25600.
Attached Images

10-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
That depends on who's buying the photos. I've seen buyer arguments over who's promo logo (on sports players uniforms or in the background playing field boards) gets the sharper focus and at times it almost came to blows. So yes pixel peeping in sports is real when you get down to the money and saying that the promoters are vicious is an understatement.
The fact remains that as high as ISO 25600 the 'accelerator' does a sufficient job of noise and Dynamic Range to mollify almost any sponsor.

Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com
10-07-2019, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The chart below shows that the Pentax KP nearly matches the Canon 1DXii as far out as 25600.
You cannot compare downward pointing triangles to filled circles.

That's an apples to oranges comparison, if there ever was one.

Up until ISO 640, you can talk about "dynamic range" on the KP and compare the figures to other cameras. At higher ISO settings, you ought to allow the files from the other cameras to be processed as well.

10-07-2019, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

That's an apples to oranges comparison, if there ever was one.

Up until ISO 640, you can talk about "dynamic range" on the KP and compare the figures to other cameras. At higher ISO settings, you ought to allow the files from the other cameras to be processed as well.
To the person like me who uses the camera, the 'direction' of the triangles is unimportant - the 'accelerator' delivers truly good images,
10-07-2019, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Up until ISO 640, you can talk about "dynamic range" on the KP and compare the figures to other cameras. At higher ISO settings, you ought to allow the files from the other cameras to be processed as well
Except you can't post-process extra DR or color depth out of a raw file so it is actually a fair comparison.
10-07-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #427

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
... a little vanity for using newest camera and tech instead loving photography itself.I mean, maybe they are rich on substance, but their spirit and soul are still quite poor.
Unfortunately this is generally a very good description of too many photographers around the world.

10-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #428

The fact remains that as high as ISO 25600 the 'accelerator' does a sufficient job of noise and Dynamic Range to mollify almost any sponsor.

Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com
Btw i wasn't being camera brand specific.
10-07-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Unfortunately this is generally a very good description of too many photographers around the world.
While I do try and avoid the throw gear at the problem there are situations where throwing gear at the problem is the correct solution. It is why I bought my most recently acquired lens. However at the moment I don't feel the need to get a replacement camera body because it won't solve any problems. However another higher end digital body, especially a K-3ii, would solve a problem I have which is I really want to run a telephoto and a wide lens on the night sky but now am stuck having to pick one or the other and almost always pick telephoto.
10-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #430
Pentaxian

To the person like me who uses the camera, the 'direction' of the triangles is unimportant ...
It's 100% fine if you are happy with the results of the KP.

No problem.

However, you cannot state that "the Pentax KP nearly matches the Canon 1DXii as far out as 25600".
Such a claim has no basis whatsoever. If you think it does then you don't understand what the symbols indicate.
10-07-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Except you can't post-process extra DR or color depth out of a raw file so it is actually a fair comparison.
Of course you can artificially increase measured DR.

DR is defined by the distance between full saturation and noise floor. By lowering the noise floor -- achieved by smoothing and hence the removal of some detail -- you can create a file that exhibits more DR. More precisely, if that file had been produced by a camera without further manipulation then said camera would have more DR than the one producing the original file.
10-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #432
Pentaxian

How about... comparing images?
Neah, let's stick with charts
10-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How about... comparing images?
Neah, let's stick with charts
???

I didn't compare charts.

I just pointed out that someone else's comparison of charts was flawed.

Is that OK?
10-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #434
Pentaxian

It's 100% fine if you are happy with the results of the KP.

No problem.

However, you cannot state that "the Pentax KP nearly matches the Canon 1DXii as far out as 25600".
Such a claim has no basis whatsoever. If you think it does then you don't understand what the symbols indicate.
The symbols mean exactly what they say.
The KP has almost as much DR as the 1DXii as far as 25600 ISO.
You can do further "PP" if you want to, but if you're a newsman on a schedule or an amateur, you don't have to.

You're one of the ones who spend way too much tearing down Pentax and not enough understanding how the 'accelerator' has improved life.
10-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #435
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
???

I didn't compare charts.

I just pointed out that someone else's comparison of charts was flawed.

Is that OK?
I don't generally pay attention to who posts what outside a few regulars. For the past couple of days I have taken note of yours as in general they've been pretty informative if not at the same time coming off a bit discourteous in a couple of them. No biggie since that's just how some people write, short and succinct. It also seems as tho you're not exactly a Pentax fan either, or have I misread you? It helps me knowing where regular posters are coming from. For example I knew to ignore opinion posts from RonHendricks as he was consistently negative at any mention of Pentax cameras, or autofocus, or lenses or.... Hopefully I have the wrong impression about where you stand on them.

Kudos tho for a nice series of very informative posts in the Studio lighting thread the past few days. Thanks
Closed Thread