Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #571
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I thought free speech was only considered dangerous in... oh never mind. That was NOT my intent. I've re-stated that many times, and if you keep taking snippets out of context, I guess you can have some fun. Everwhat. I was only trying to make peace with the idea that if people have glommed onto the fact that the feature exists, and DPR has publicized it as a negative marketing issue, weather real or perceived, RPentax might consider and Off switch, an when I said switch, I meant a menu dive option, not some mystery button on the back that people will hit by accident. Maybe put it into a user1-5 mode macro.
Eric
PS: Constant harping on every post that mentions it is perpetuating the issue as much as the original poster.
Sorry Eric, did not mean to sound harsh. I agree with you in most areas and, even if I quoted you, it was not directed at anyone personally.
And "constant harping" might not address the proper person either, I have still 3 post to go to my first raffle entry, obviously not so constant

10-10-2019, 11:57 AM - 6 Likes   #572
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
  • "...
  • "Joystick doesn't elicit joy" (that one is by someone else).
That one was by me on the DPR announcement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I wonder what reviewer's will have left to complain about if Pentax puts together an amazing AF system?
Here's my list:
  • "Too heavy,"
  • "Too big,"
  • "Not Sony/Canon/Nikon/Fujifilm/ Olympus/Sigma/Panasonic,"
  • "Not enough megapixels,"
  • "Too many megapixels,"
  • "Not Fullframe,"
  • "Not mirrorless,"
  • "Not enough fps,"
  • "Video quality isn't good enough,"
  • "Doesn't have a flippy/articulating screen"
  • "Doesn't pass the 'man-erratically-riding-a-bike-on-a-busy-sidewalk-in-a-busy-part-of-town-with-a-lot-of-background-noise' eye-AF test to our liking so the AF is automatically terrible,"
  • "Shake reduction isn't 10 stops,"
  • "Doesn't have ILIS,"
  • "The handgrip looks funny,"
  • "The joystick doesn't elicit joy,"
  • "Water, dust, sand and dirt gets into the mirrorbox when a lens isn't attached,"
  • "Doesn't power on without a battery,"
  • "Shatters when driven over by a M1 Abrams so not 'tough as a tank,'" (Honestly, if they can pull this off, I will accept it as an acceptable negative)
  • "Body, mirror, sensor, and displays scratch when stabbed and scraped at with a sharp knife and bashed at with a heavy rock,"
  • "Too much noise reduction in RAW,"
  • "Too little noise reduction in RAW,"
  • "Too much image processing in RAW,"
  • "Too little image processing in RAW,"
  • "Overbaked JPEGs,"
  • "Underbaked JPEGs,"
  • "Can't bake a souffle,"
And worst and most likely criticism of all for it not being a suitable camera,
  • "It's a Pentax."
10-10-2019, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #573
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I wonder what reviewer's will have left to complain about if Pentax puts together an amazing AF system?
It's not mirrorless.

Hahaha!
10-10-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Sorry Eric, did not mean to sound harsh. I agree with you in most areas and, even if I quoted you, it was not directed at anyone personally.
And "constant harping" might not address the proper person either, I have still 3 post to go to my first raffle entry, obviously not so constant

Sorry MMVIII ! It is getting hard to keep up with all the players with all the rapid contest posting. Mia culpa!
Eric

10-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Central one for me, most of the time.
I don't think anyone who has looked at the numbers for how much using more than the central point slows down subject acquisition and focus confirm uses multi-point for speed tests. The only place AF-c multipoint is useful would be a BiF against a sky.
10-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't think anyone who has looked at the numbers for how much using more than the central point slows down subject acquisition
My own feeling is that 9 points is often 9 times slower than 1.
10-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I haven't noticed it being slower but I can't trust the camera to know exactly where I want focus.

10-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I haven't noticed it being slower
I should have specified that mine is a K3.

My biggest issue is that it can be indecisive, (too) often using multiple focus points I will get a focus point illuminated and the beep then before I can squeeze the button whiiiirrrrr as the camera tries to find something else to focus on or the camera hunts between two or more focus points millimetres apart.
10-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #579
Pentaxian

I should have specified that mine is a K3.

My biggest issue is that it can be indecisive, (too) often using multiple focus points I will get a focus point illuminated and the beep then before I can squeeze the button whiiiirrrrr as the camera tries to find something else to focus on or the camera hunts between two or more focus points millimetres apart.
How large is your aperture - with the 55-300mm lens, even at maximum opening, that lens settles fairly quickly .... but I can see that at f/1.4, a lens might wander.
10-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How large is your aperture
It varies, the setup is usually K3,DA*300,1.4TC often at f8, it can happen in full sunlight or light shade.

or the camera hunts between two or more focus points millimetres apart
I should add that this is the only time that AF-C focus priority seems to work. At most other times it's happy to take oof shots.
10-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #581
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
That one was by me on the DPR announcement.

Here's my list:
  • "Too heavy,"
  • "Too big,"
  • "Not Sony/Canon/Nikon/Fujifilm/ Olympus/Sigma/Panasonic,"
  • "Not enough megapixels,"
  • "Too many megapixels,"
  • "Not Fullframe,"
  • "Not mirrorless,"
  • "Not enough fps,"
  • "Video quality isn't good enough,"
  • "Doesn't have a flippy/articulating screen"
  • "Doesn't pass the 'man-erratically-riding-a-bike-on-a-busy-sidewalk-in-a-busy-part-of-town-with-a-lot-of-background-noise' eye-AF test to our liking so the AF is automatically terrible,"
  • "Shake reduction isn't 10 stops,"
  • "Doesn't have ILIS,"
  • "The handgrip looks funny,"
  • "The joystick doesn't elicit joy,"
  • "Water, dust, sand and dirt gets into the mirrorbox when a lens isn't attached,"
  • "Doesn't power on without a battery,"
  • "Shatters when driven over by a M1 Abrams so not 'tough as a tank,'" (Honestly, if they can pull this off, I will accept it as an acceptable negative)
  • "Body, mirror, sensor, and displays scratch when stabbed and scraped at with a sharp knife and bashed at with a heavy rock,"
  • "Too much noise reduction in RAW,"
  • "Too little noise reduction in RAW,"
  • "Too much image processing in RAW,"
  • "Too little image processing in RAW,"
  • "Overbaked JPEGs,"
  • "Underbaked JPEGs,"
  • "Can't bake a souffle,"
And worst and most likely criticism of all for it not being a suitable camera,
  • "It's a Pentax."
Don't really care about DPR comments. I've made my own choice. It's mine and mine alone.
10-10-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
"Shatters when driven over by a M1 Abrams so not 'tough as a tank,'" (Honestly, if they can pull this off, I will accept it as an acceptable negative)
Aberdeen proving grounds is not all that far away
10-10-2019, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #583
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think anyone who has looked at the numbers for how much using more than the central point slows down subject acquisition and focus confirm uses multi-point for speed tests. The only place AF-c multipoint is useful would be a BiF against a sky.
I've always used a single point focus. It's automatic, quick eye-focus, and recompose. Takes me all of two seconds if that long. Until models get used to my style of shooting I have to frequently remind them not to hold the same pose so long. I'll keep up, go ahead and follow the script.
10-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #584
Pentaxian

I'm sure by now that my KP takes longer to find nine points in focus than to find one - which I use depends on the circumstances; of course, I'm 'supervising', so if the 'important' part of the scene looks out of focus, I can change that, but it takes time that I would prefer not to take offen.
10-11-2019, 01:01 AM   #585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Central one for me, most of the time.
I use any focus point I need. There are less than 3% of situations where I use the central focus point. Depending on the available light, I choose only the most sensitive af points, but in good light any af point will do the job for me.
Closed Thread