Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #766
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Her last sentence will open up the flood gates There seems to be hope for those that want a moveable screen.

10-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #767
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Her last sentence will open up the flood gates There seems to be hope for those that want a moveable screen.
I hope she is right. I have had cameras with and without the movable lcd and those with are always nicer to work with. As other have commented, I do not use the tilt often but when I need it it makes a big difference in getting difficult shots. I have never had a problem with a movable lcd and I do most of my shooting in the fiels where banging against things and other mishaps are likely.
10-19-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Like you think I ever believed the sadly uniformed who said there wouldn't be. Honest folks, you can whine and cry a lament bogus speculations all you want, but you're fools if you believe these folks.

They have been proven wrong over and over again.
I don't hope for a moveable screen, I fully expect a moveable screen. And why not, a moveable screen has been a feature of every camera since the K-70.

Nothing any poster on the forum says, changes that.

Sometimes you guys spend so much time here, your opinions get warped by the consensus of the the uniformed.
If you actually got sucked into that nonsense, you might want to examine the thought process that got you there. Do us all favour, learn from your mistakes.

Last edited by normhead; 10-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.
10-19-2019, 08:36 AM - 3 Likes   #769
Pentaxian

I wonder why Ricoh would bother with making and showcasing at least three elaborate (and identical) copies with a fixed screen if the production camera were to have a moveable screen. A moveable screen is not something that would so much single the Pentax K-New out from its peers that Ricoh would keep it a secret until announcement day.

I'd rather say Ricoh Imaging executives are polite enough not to bluntly say 'No, the production camera won't have a moveable screen' to their asking visitor.

Alternatively, Ricoh are doing damage control and, confronted with people's reaction to the showcased K-New, asked the designers to go back to the drawing board and add a moveable screen to the final camera. Be prepared to at least a one-year delay if this were the case.

One final thought on this: in the sentence 'staff tell me this is not the final model for mass product, so who think the back screen will be unable to pull out can rest assured now', the first part 'staff tell me this is not the final model for mass product' reports what staff said and is actually stating the obvious (the showcased cameras aren't production models) but the second part 'so who think the back screen will be unable to pull out can rest assured now' looks very much like a deduction made by Karen the Star alone, not a hint given by staff.

10-19-2019, 08:52 AM - 3 Likes   #770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wonder why Ricoh would bother with making and showcasing at least three elaborate (and identical) copies with a fixed screen if the production camera were to have a moveable screen. A moveable screen is not something that would so much single the Pentax K-New out from its peers that Ricoh would keep it a secret until announcement day.

I'd rather say Ricoh Imaging executives are polite enough not to bluntly say 'No, the production camera won't have a moveable screen' to their asking visitor.

Alternatively, Ricoh are doing damage control and, confronted with people's reaction to the showcased K-New, asked the designers to go back to the drawing board and add a moveable screen to the final camera. Be prepared to at least a one-year delay if this were the case.

One final thought on this: in the sentence 'staff tell me this is not the final model for mass product, so who think the back screen will be unable to pull out can rest assured now', the first part 'staff tell me this is not the final model for mass product' reports what staff said and is actually stating the obvious (the showcased cameras aren't production models) but the second part 'so who think the back screen will be unable to pull out can rest assured now' looks very much like a deduction made by Karen the Star alone, not a hint given by staff.
I totally agree with that analysis - there is one other logical, if unlikely, possibility - that there is something else anout the back of the camera that they don't want seen, so they put a simplified fake back on so as not to reveal this. I don't hink this is true, just (vaguely) plausible - but what you say in your last sentence is certainly how I would read the scanty evidence we're actually given.

Last edited by ffking; 10-19-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: patchily responsive keyboard
10-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sometimes you guys spend so much time here, your opinions get warped by the consensus of the the uniformed.
Well put and much needed.
10-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It looks like Karen the Star may have some new information regarding the prototype so I will tentatively re-open this thread. Please try to stay on topic
No floppy floppy screen for speedy machine. Perhaps it will hit The market early.

10-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #773
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I totally agree with that analysis - there is one other logical, if unlikely, possibility - that there is something else about the back of the camera that they don't want seen, so they put a simplified fake back on so as not to reveal this. I don't think this is true, just (vaguely) plausible - but what you say in your last sentence is certainly how I would read the scany evidence we're actually given.
I agree: this is another possibility, albeit with a low probability.
10-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #774
Pentaxian

(...)

(...)
That's a revealing slip of the tongue if I know one!

(...) If you actually got sucked into that nonsense, you might want to examine the thought process that got you there. (...)
Read in conjunction with his former sentence, this is a valuable guidance the writer is giving to himself.
10-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #775
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It looks like Karen the Star may have some new information regarding the prototype so I will tentatively re-open this thread. Please try to stay on topic
Ouch, the big can of worms..... opened !
10-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #776
bxf
Veteran Member

Like you think I ever believed the sadly uniformed who said there wouldn't be. Honest folks, you can whine and cry a lament bogus speculations all you want, but you're fools if you believe these folks.

They have been proven wrong over and over again.
I don't hope for a moveable screen, I fully expect a moveable screen. And why not, a moveable screen has been a feature of every camera since the K-70.

Nothing any poster on the forum says, changes that.

If you actually got sucked into that nonsense, you might want to examine the thought process that got you there. Do us all favour, learn from your mistakes.
What colour are the uniforms of these people? I'd like to be able to identify them from a distance.
10-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #777
Pentaxian

I have not had a camera with a tilting screen, so I don't know if I would miss one that much if the K-new was lacking one. However, I can see their potential usefulness and how they could have saved me some awkward positioning. Can the informed among us state whether a tilting screen is a must-have?
10-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #778
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I have not had a camera with a tilting screen, so I don't know if I would miss one that much if the K-new was lacking one. However, I can see their potential usefulness and how they could have saved me some awkward positioning. Can the informed among us state whether a tilting screen is a must-have?
IMHO as a hobbyist, it really depends on what I'm doing.

Airshow - don't need it. Shooting flowers at ground level - extremely useful.

The way I see it, if it is on the camera, you don't have to pull it out and use it, but it is there if you need it/ want it.
10-19-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I think the "must-have" aspect of a tilting screen is a personal one.

I do believe, though, that should the K-New not have one, it will get hammered in reviews because of that.
10-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And it will just be less attractive. Those who do not use it are not impeded by its presence, indeed, most of them will come to see its use. Those who have learned the value will be less likely to buy the camera if it does not have one. There may be a small extra cost but we should hope for it if we want the best possible camera.
Closed Thread