Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wonder why Ricoh would bother with making and showcasing at least three elaborate (and identical) copies with a fixed screen if the production camera were to have a moveable screen. A moveable screen is not something that would so much single the Pentax K-New out from its peers that Ricoh would keep it a secret until announcement day.
It's probably as simple as they wanted to show us something after years with no concrete direction in the APS-C flagship line, and they didn't have a prototype with the moveable screen.

10-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think the "must-have" aspect of a tilting screen is a personal one.

I do believe, though, that should the K-New not have one, it will get hammered in reviews because of that.
Bingo. Silver award. 88 percent. Review done.
10-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They had said some time ago, if I remember correctly, that "they couldn't show the shape of the camera as it would give away functions they didn't want to show".
I still (yet another repetition) think that the back plate cannot be final. Some buttons protrude more than others and the cover itself looks worse. Not to mention the very obvious "top cover and back plate DO NOT FIT" left corner.
10-19-2019, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Like you think I ever believed the sadly uniformed who said there wouldn't be. Honest folks, you can whine and cry a lament bogus speculations all you want, but you're fools if you believe these folks.

They have been proven wrong over and over again.
I don't hope for a moveable screen, I fully expect a moveable screen. And why not, a moveable screen has been a feature of every camera since the K-70.

Nothing any poster on the forum says, changes that.
I think the people who believe the prototype displayed by Ricoh as the new ASP-C flagship doesn't have a movable screen because............it doesn't have a movable screen?

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sometimes you guys spend so much time here, your opinions get warped by the consensus of the the uniformed.
If you actually got sucked into that nonsense, you might want to examine the thought process that got you there. Do us all favour, learn from your mistakes.
Are you referring to the nonsense that the prototype has a movable screen?

10-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #785
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
High end does need no tilting screen.
High end doesn't need built-in flash either.
10-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #786
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The re-opening of this thread may end up being very brief.
Please keep the discussion civil, and play the ball not the man....
10-19-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ouch, the big can of worms..... opened !
This is how forums operate. It is all about traffic management.

The screen debate is just a red herring designed to distract people from the main event. (It generates a lot of traffic)

If I buy the K-new it will be because the camera meets my needs and not because the screen on the back of the camera meets my needs. If I want a screen to meet my needs then I will go down to Harvey Norman???

I suspect the specs of this camera will be far more intriguing particularly in regard to AF advancements. Who knows there may be some innovation that we haven't considered yet?

Time will tell.

10-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #788
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
This is how forums operate. It is all about traffic management.

The screen debate is just a red herring designed to distract people from the main event. (It generates a lot of traffic)

If I buy the K-new it will be because the camera meets my needs and not because the screen on the back of the camera meets my needs. If I want a screen to meet my needs then I will go down to Harvey Norman???

I suspect the specs of this camera will be far more intriguing particularly in regard to AF advancements. Who knows there may be some innovation that we haven't considered yet?

Time will tell.
Yes "time will tell" - but we are in the current time now.

Yes, most of the discussion has been about the LCD - but that is something we can see right now.

Yes, most of the changes most likely involve things like AF - but we cannot see those things in a turned off prototype.

Yes, we purchase the camera we need - but for me that means a KP, which I have owned for ten months now; the people who need a "K-3ii replacement" have needs which typically cannot be seen in a turned-off prototype.

No, many of us would post here regardless of actions of Ricoh this Autumn - @Adam has seen to that with his 'raffles'; I have not seen 'traffic' statistics, but I would guess this Section is just a fraction of the traffic this Autumn .... I am quite certain it is for me.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-19-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Snarky
10-19-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #789
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes "time will tell" - but we are in the current time now.

Yes, most of the discussion has been about the LCD - but that is something we can see right now.

Yes, most of the changes most likely involve things like AF - but we cannot see those things in a turned off prototype.

Yes, we purchase the camera we need - but for me that means a KP, which I have owned for ten months now; the people who need a "K-3ii replacement" have needs which typically cannot be seen in a turned-off prototype.

No, many of us would post here regardless of actions of Ricoh this Autumn - @Adam has seen to that with his 'raffles'; I have not seen 'traffic' statistics, but I would guess this Section is just a fraction of the traffic this Autumn .... I am quite certain it is for me.
What we can see right now is a prototype that has a fixed screen. The reopening of the thread is based on speculation of the future. A new ASP-C camera being released in 2020 and the possibility of it having a movable screen. This speculation is rather flimsy. An admission that the prototype is not an actual production unit!

The raffles are an attempt to increase traffic because revenue is based on traffic and so, I suspect, is the reason for reopening this thread.

If the camera is being released in early to mid 2020 the the hardware specifications are already set. No amount of wishful thinking will change that.

My admittedly uneducated suspicions are that the screen is fixed for packaging reasons. The K-new may need extra room inside for another processing board in order to achieve a step change in AF performance. A movable screen would need extra thickness in the body for mounting etc and may make the camera a bit too bulky.

I am sure the Ricoh engineers have given this careful consideration.

Maybe they have plans for a lower specs camera into the future that has articulating screen and ultimately replaces the KP?

Time will tell.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-19-2019 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Snarky
10-19-2019, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #790
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once again, settle down.
Play nicely or the thread closes again.
10-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #791
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think we'll just have to wait and let Ricoh shock us. It'll be out in a couple of months.
10-20-2019, 01:44 AM   #792

I think we have to wait about more facts.
10-20-2019, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #793
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think we'll just have to wait and let Ricoh shock us. It'll be out in a couple of months.
i'm not so sure it will. A couple of months is late December. I'm expecting the K-New to be announced just before CP+ (27 February - 1 March 2020).
10-20-2019, 04:08 AM   #794
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok then, we just have to keep speculating. Sometimes we have to control our imagination. Too much imagination will think of a super perfect camera and I know it won't be perfect. So I don't want to disappoint myself. But I think this will be a great camera.
10-20-2019, 04:13 AM - 3 Likes   #795
Pentaxian

Of course the K-New will be a great camera. Only those with impossible dreams or very specific requirements will be disappointed.
Closed Thread