Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2019, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #826
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Try holding your fixed rear screen dslr above your head in your right hand while trying to hold a phone (or tablet) in your left hand to view and take the picture.
I see the advantages of articulating screens and enjoy the one on the K-1, however, with a WiFi connection to a phone, one could imagine an articulating phone holder cradle that attaches to the hot-shoe connector of the camera.

This should address the issue of us not being octopuses (which would be quite cool in many ways).

10-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
one could imagine an articulating phone holder cradle that attaches to the hot-shoe connector of the camera.
Or is anchored to the base plate, which is why we're not allowed to see it!
10-22-2019, 02:39 AM   #828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the advantages of articulating screens and enjoy the one on the K-1, however, with a WiFi connection to a phone, one could imagine an articulating phone holder cradle that attaches to the hot-shoe connector of the camera.

This should address the issue of us not being octopuses (which would be quite cool in many ways).
That is actually not a bad bit of lateral thinking! Though given the inceasingly large phones on the market the cradle would have to be fairly big.
10-22-2019, 02:42 AM   #829
Veteran Member

I see huge fail in that approach. Attaching phones or whatever screens is prone to fail in cold temperatures. Too many failing devices in the chain. It must work at -30C or it gets the hammer. Articulating screen or no camera at all please.

10-22-2019, 03:22 AM   #830
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I see huge fail in that approach. Attaching phones or whatever screens is prone to fail in cold temperatures. Too many failing devices in the chain. It must work at -30C or it gets the hammer. Articulating screen or no camera at all please.
I don't know how many articulating screens consistently work at -30C. Certainly the K-1's screen didn't meet your requirements.

Of course, a phone is not a real answer for most of the reason to have an articulating screen. I have two hands and if I am working with my camera with those two, I really don't have another one to hold a phone and work with that. But I guess we'll see. I do think the prototypes look pretty formed, but it would also surprise me quite a bit if the final product didn't have a movable screen of sorts -- mainly because every Pentax that has come out recently, even the 645z has had one. It would be weird to leave it off on this camera...
10-22-2019, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #831
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Of course, a phone is not a real answer for most of the reason to have an articulating screen. I have two hands and if I am working with my camera with those two, I really don't have another one to hold a phone and work with that. .
It would be perfect for Zaphod Beeblebrox.

10-22-2019, 03:29 AM   #832
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
It would be perfect for Zaphod Beeblebrox.
Of course. But wouldn't he actually need two cameras, one for each of his heads?

10-22-2019, 03:39 AM   #833
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If an articulated screen is that important to you than than having a high speed DSLR likely isn't the best choice for you anyway. If you are a landscape shooter the KP and K1II are already available. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a flipping screen, there have been probably a dozen times over the last couple years that I thought this would be easier with a flipping screen.
10-22-2019, 04:08 AM   #834
Veteran Member

K-1 met my requirements for cold temperature work with silicone grease applied to the articulating screen joints. Have to be careful not to use sensor shift though - it may crash the IBIS and require removing the battery. KP screen creaks a little bit in super cold but otherwise works. But if I had to stuff a phone in the equation it would be the first to fail.
10-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #835
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need a poll:

a: I believe the next ASPC will have a tilting/articulating screen
b: I don't believe the next ASPC will have a tilting/articulating screen

10-22-2019, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see that being used maybe twice before giving up. First you fiddle with the Wifi to try to get it to connect to the phone, then you have this contraption holding your smartphone on top of the camera when the phone is almost as wide and tall as the camera itself. Maybe you'd go through that trouble for certain tripod-friendly applications. But that's the polar opposite of a compact, simple, easy-to-carry rig.

In car analogies, it's someone buying a slick new Toyota Supra and then putting a hitch and a cooler/luggage carrier on the back with a week's worth of stuff bungee corded to it.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 08:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
If an articulated screen is that important to you than than having a high speed DSLR likely isn't the best choice for you anyway. If you are a landscape shooter the KP and K1II are already available. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a flipping screen, there have been probably a dozen times over the last couple years that I thought this would be easier with a flipping screen.
God forbid someone use the same camera to take landscapes on their vacation to the Alps, and to take photos of their kids' soccer team, too.
10-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #837
Pentaxian

Aren't we a bit off topic, again?
10-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to keep reminding myself that posts are for post counts up here.
10-22-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #839
Veteran Member

Not at all? IMHO articulating screen is what makes or breaks a camera these days. Ricoh cannot just pull GR here and not have at least a tilting screen.
10-22-2019, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #840
Pentaxian

Not at all? IMHO articulating screen is what makes or breaks a camera these days. Ricoh cannot just pull GR here and not have at least a tilting screen.
I completely agree. Like it or not, I think it is a deal-breaker in today's market.
Closed Thread