Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #886
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
OMG!!! I'm doing that!!! I use my K-5II and my K-3II to do that!!!
...and the K-70, even the KS2.

10-23-2019, 05:39 AM - 3 Likes   #887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
We need a poll:

a: I believe the next ASPC will have a tilting/articulating screen
b: I don't believe the next ASPC will have a tilting/articulating screen

You left off:

c: I don't really care either way.
10-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You left off:

c: I don't really care either way.
Sorry!!! My bad...
10-23-2019, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd just say three things: (a) there is still a decent chance there will be a flippy screen on this camera, even though the prototypes don't show it, (b) the "Absolutely need flippy screen" folks are very vocal, but the reality is that the number of situations where you "should" use a flippy screen is fairly small and limited to situations where you are shooting in odd positions, hopefully stabilized on a tripod. (c) Pentax is typically building to a price point. We saw this with a K-1 and with other cameras as well. If they put premium everything in a camera it may end up being to rich for any of us to afford. Not saying this means the camera will not have a flippy screen, but if it doesn't my guess is they thought it would just be too expensive a camera with one of those in addition to everything else they are putting into it.

10-23-2019, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #890
Pentaxian

Money is not the only price to pay for an articulated screen: the camera would be somewhat ticker. This, and the fact that an articulated LCD is only occasionally useful to me, makes me quite ambivalent about its presence.
10-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #891
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Money is not the only price to pay for an articulated screen: the camera would be somewhat ticker. This, and the fact that an articulated LCD is only occasionally useful to me, makes me quite ambivalent about its presence.
Considering the fact that thickness is affected by so little, and it is so minor compared to width and height, and people complained that the KP is "too small", I really doubt if that was a major consideration in deciding whether or not to include a moveable LCD on the "K-3ii replacement".
10-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Literally not. Unless you take "somewhat" as 1mm thinner. This is the case for either the KP (76 mm) or the K-70 (74 mm) compared to the K-3 (77 mm). I struggle to find any actual reason that makes a fixed screen better than a movable one. I mean, people go on and on about how it's "sturdier" and more weather resistant, but the K-1 kinda laughs at those concerns... and I see no other reasons for a fixed screen.

10-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #893
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Shoot a GR III. It's pretty darn cool.
So is the GR (I).
GR III must be even better.
10-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #894
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Shoot a GR III. It's pretty darn cool.
Of course. On a compact camera . . .
10-23-2019, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #895
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the risk of going round in another great loop, my experience of the K-1 is that I don't use the flippy screen much, but there are circumstances when I do use it, and in those circumstances I'm really glad to have it - sometines it's to do with the camera being too low (or too high) to confortably get your eye to, sometimes it's useful as a waist-level finder, sometimes it's useful to reduce reflections in bright light - in fact, as I think about it, I don't use Live View much, but when I do, I usually pull the screen out. With a touch screen, I might use live view more, and that begs the question as to whether I'd want a screen that flipped. The only real disadvantages of a flip screen (or one that turns off when not using live view, anyway) are thickness of body, weight, cost, and something more to break - but those also are real considerations.

Last edited by ffking; 10-23-2019 at 08:34 AM.
10-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #896
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still don’t understan how to use a touch screen on a dslr. Seems like I’d need three hands. AFA a moveable screen, Almost all the (rare) times I use LiveView on K-1 and KP I move the screen out and shoot with two hands, arms IN, chest high. How would I also touch-focus?
10-23-2019, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #897
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd just say three things: (a) there is still a decent chance there will be a flippy screen on this camera, even though the prototypes don't show it, (b) the "Absolutely need flippy screen" folks are very vocal, but the reality is that the number of situations where you "should" use a flippy screen is fairly small and limited to situations where you are shooting in odd positions, hopefully stabilized on a tripod. (c) Pentax is typically building to a price point. We saw this with a K-1 and with other cameras as well. If they put premium everything in a camera it may end up being to rich for any of us to afford. Not saying this means the camera will not have a flippy screen, but if it doesn't my guess is they thought it would just be too expensive a camera with one of those in addition to everything else they are putting into it.
Regarding (a) I tend to think the same.
Regarding (b), the reality is that there are barely any cameras in the last... four or five years that didn't add any sort of moveable screen. Releasing a camera without it in 2020 is questionable at best.
And as for (c), I am sure that the cost of adding a movable screen (really not that much, it's basically no extra material and assembly is almost the same) is largely irrelevant, much more so on a flagship.

---------- Post added 10-23-19 at 06:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
At the risk of going round in another great loop, my experience of the K-1 is thtI don't use the flippy screen much, but there are circumstances when I do use it, and in those circumstances I really glad to have it - sometines i's to do with the carmer too low (or too high) to confortably get your eye to, sometimes it'suseful as a waist-level finder, sometimes it's useful to reduce reflections in bright light - in fact, as I think about it, I don't use Live View much, but when I do, I usually pull the screen out. With a touch screen, I might use live view more, and that begs the question as to whether I'd want a screen that flipped. The only real disadvantages of a flip screen (or one that turns off when not using live view, anyway) are thickness of body, weight, cost, and something more to break - but those also are real considerations.
My thoughts exactly. I don't use the screen for more than, say, 5-10% (or even less) of the pictures I take. But any time I'm holding the camera out at a weird angle the screen is out at a similarly weird angle. I do that relatively often on hikes when I want a different perspective but moving around is impractical or dangerous because of the terrain. This also goes for low-level shots (kneeling with a full backpack is more of a hassle than it looks like), architecture holding the camera overhead*, and as you said for bright light. I also agree that being able to comfortably point the camera at the setting sun without going blind(er) is very, very welcome .

All in all, after having used the K-1's screen, I don't think I will ever buy a fixed screen camera if I can avoid it...
10-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #898
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I still don’t understan how to use a touch screen on a dslr. Seems like I’d need three hands. AFA a moveable screen, Almost all the (rare) times I use LiveView on K-1 and KP I move the screen out and shoot with two hands, arms IN, chest high. How would I also touch-focus?
Well, there is always tripod use, but seriously, it may be a selling point for the few rather than for the many.
10-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm sure RI will implement the idea just fine.
As long as anybody can do/set things without use the touch screen, all will be fine.

It may even be useful for AF in LV mode.
10-23-2019, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #900
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I shoot lots of landscape and don't want a flippable screen...
On the KP and K-1 I have never had the flippy screens pop out without me actually pulling them out. Very handy when doing shots from unusual angles, astro and I suspect street.
Closed Thread