Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #931
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, there might be - in the 645z... but clearly not in the K-mount DSLRs.
There’s ample room in the 645z, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a new model with a totally new body showed up:
Pentax 645Z Cut in Half - CP+ 2015 | PentaxForums.com

10-24-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #932
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
The most important consideration Ricoh/Pentax will make regarding an articulating screen is the following:

From a marketing standpoint, will a flagship ASPC camera without an articulating screen attract new customers to the brand in today's market?

I think the answer is obvious.....
From a marketing standpoint, with an APS-C flagship camera such as the K-New do Ricoh try to attract new customers to the brand or rather satisfy current customers?
10-24-2019, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #933
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
There’s ample room in the 645z, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a new model with a totally new body showed up:
Pentax 645Z Cut in Half - CP+ 2015 | PentaxForums.com
IMO if mirrorless comes to RI one day it will be via 645 platform.
10-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
How mean of Canon to drop a fly in the "DSLRs are dead" ointment.

However, according to some, the 1D X Mark III is only targeting professionals so luckily the "mirrorless is superior" narrative can continue for any non-professionals. Phew.
Do the $4500 A9ii and A7Riv count as "professional", "rich enthusiast", "specsheet-obsessed" or do we just qualify them as "saviours of all cameras"?
Jokes aside, hopefully Ricoh brings out some nice steamy info soonTM

10-24-2019, 02:41 AM   #935
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
(...)hopefully Ricoh brings out some nice steamy info soonTM
...or later™
10-24-2019, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #936
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO if mirrorless comes to RI one day it will be via 645 platform.
Yes.
In an older interview (the translation is still here, on some topic I think) a Pentax Ricoh official said that the 645 with its larger mirror would make most sense for a mirrorless.
It would be a pity because of that huge, bright optical viewfinder; but from an image quality point of view...
10-24-2019, 02:58 AM - 2 Likes   #937
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
From a marketing standpoint, with an APS-C flagship camera such as the K-New do Ricoh try to attract new customers to the brand or rather satisfy current customers?
They have to do both...

10-24-2019, 03:00 AM   #938

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Almost - but what's also interesting is that the greatest threat to dedicated cameras these days comes from a sector that doesn't have articulating screens
Might not have articulated screens, but have you seen the selfie sticks...
Dude, if Ricoh comes out with a mirrorless c/w built in selfie stick, they will take over the world!
10-24-2019, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #939
Pentaxian

^ I'd like to see a 645 mirrorless with a built-in selfie stick.
10-24-2019, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This camera will sell (or not sell) based on price and overall performance. While people get a bit crazy about the flip out screen, it won't be the end of the world if it isn't there, assuming the functionality is. The Canon 1Dx and Nikon D5 series cameras don't feature articulating screens, from what I can tell and I don't see a whole lot of comment either way on it. The sports and wildlife photographers who use those sorts of cameras might occasionally want such a feature, but what they want more is the high frame rates and top end auto focus that you get with these cameras.

I'm guessing that's what this camera will feature -- with or without such a screen.
10-24-2019, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes.
In an older interview (the translation is still here, on some topic I think) a Pentax Ricoh official said that the 645 with its larger mirror would make most sense for a mirrorless.
It would be a pity because of that huge, bright optical viewfinder; but from an image quality point of view...
I think you are making a reference to the 2011 interview with Toshiyuki Kitazawa, then Head of Business Development:
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshiyuki Kitazawa:
北沢 645 ですが、そのうちミラーレスを作りたいですね。 理由は一眼レフのミラーショックです。この微振動ってかなり画質に影響しているんです。 将来的にはフルサイズや645でミラーレス化をねらいたいなと思います。
Kitazawa: Well, regarding the 645, sooner or later we will want to make it into a mirrorless. The reason is the mirror shock inherent to SLRs. Those very tiny vibrations do have an effect on the final image. I think in the future I would like to pursue mirrorless full-frame and 645 cameras.
Source: Translation of Kitazawa Interview - PentaxForums.com

It was made clear later on that Kitazawa-san only expressed personal views. However, the success of the Fujifilm GFX and Hasselblad X1D cameras has proven that his perception was right.

One year after (in October 2012), Kitazawa-san had to fall in line and toe the party line:
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshiyuki Kitazawa:
First, there is a trend that is moving forward to higher IQ among whole this industry includes manufacturers and consumers. Meantime, mirrorless segment is moving forward to smaller size. Even though there was possibility to bring FF into this segment, it was our conclusion that APS-C should be the utmost size for mirrorless segment.
Source: DC Watch: Interview with Toshiyuki Kitazawa, Pentax's Head of Business Development - PentaxForums.com

The latest official position on the topic, at least the latest I know of, dates back to Photokina last year:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
RICOH is monitoring the market situation for medium format with regards to mirrorless versus optical viewfinder. Given the advantage in image quality medium format will continue to be supported in one form or another.

RICOH feels that there will be a market for cameras with an optical viewfinder in the K-mount arena for many years to come, because many photographers prefer an optical viewfinder. DSLRs and mirrorless each have their strong points, and RICOH is closely watching the mirrorless market and studying how users want to use their cameras and which features they expect. At this point RICOH has not decided if they will add mirrorless cameras to the product lineup, but they don't exclude anything. The deliberations regarding mirrorless also cover the 645 format and decisions made could vary by format. The focus is on how the photographers want to use their cameras and what they expect from them; this will drive decisions about format (APS-C/FF/645) and type of camera technology for future products.
Source: Interview with Ricoh Imaging - Photokina 2018 - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
10-24-2019, 04:00 AM   #942
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This camera will sell (or not sell) based on price and overall performance. While people get a bit crazy about the flip out screen, it won't be the end of the world if it isn't there, assuming the functionality is. The Canon 1Dx and Nikon D5 series cameras don't feature articulating screens, from what I can tell and I don't see a whole lot of comment either way on it. The sports and wildlife photographers who use those sorts of cameras might occasionally want such a feature, but what they want more is the high frame rates and top end auto focus that you get with these cameras.

I'm guessing that's what this camera will feature -- with or without such a screen.
On the other hand, the Pentax K-New will be closer to the Nikon D500 than to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III (development announced today) or the Nikon D6 (development announced on 4 September) and the D500 has an articulating LCD touchscreen.
10-24-2019, 04:11 AM   #943
Pentaxian

Ricoh, come on. Give us more leaks. Show us if this thing will have a flippy screen. The natives are getting restless. At least if you guys give us more leaks about the screen, maybe those who do and don't like it will finally say that's it. It's over and done with. SSsshhhhhhh. Just thinking out loud. Sssshhhhhhhh
10-24-2019, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Ricoh, come on. Give us more leaks. Show us if this thing will have a flippy screen. The natives are getting restless. At least if you guys give us more leaks about the screen, maybe those who do and don't like it will finally say that's it. It's over and done with. SSsshhhhhhh. Just thinking out loud. Sssshhhhhhhh
You're acting as if this forum would let facts get in the way of healthy speculation.
10-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #945
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You're acting as if this forum would let facts get in the way of healthy speculation.
Actually I'm as excited as everyone. And, speculating about this cam particularly what's under the hood is fun.
Closed Thread