Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 689 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 05:34 AM   #946
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Actually I'm as excited as everyone. And, speculating about this cam particularly what's under the hood is fun.
...and brings raffle tickets.

10-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #947

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I know more AF points is one of the big requests from Pentax users over the years......but......

am I the only one whose first action on getting a new camera is to change the focus points from "whatever they are" to central 9 ?
You are not the only one - I do that too. :-)
10-24-2019, 05:58 AM - 4 Likes   #948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
On the other hand, the Pentax K-New will be closer to the Nikon D500 than to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III (development announced today) or the Nikon D6 (development announced on 4 September) and the D500 has an articulating LCD touchscreen.
I suppose. The 7D II though doesn't have one. My point is mostly that not every camera that is released has to have this feature, even though people who are rabidly after it will incessantly pound it on the interwebs if it isn't present.

I suppose this is the way of things. If the K new is too big, too small, doesn't include 4K video, doesn't include mechanical SR with video, have focus peaking with video, or even has the name Ricoh somewhere on the camera, someone will pick it up as a reason to be upset and not purchase it -- particularly if the price is too high. Everyone has their pet feature that has to be present for them to purchase a particular camera.

For me, the most important feature is the K mount and we'll figure it out from there...
10-24-2019, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #949
bxf
Veteran Member

^ I'd like to see a 645 mirrorless with a built-in selfie stick.
I think it would have to be a selfie pole...

10-24-2019, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #950
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 7Dii is older than the K-3ii! A camera from 2014, before Pentax even released their first DSLR with articulated screen, is really not a good metric. Let's count the mid-to-high end ILCs released since 2015 that have a fixed screen:

-Pentax: K-3ii
-Canon: 1DXii, 5DS, 5D4, 7D2, 1300D
-Nikon: D5, D810 (2014 but let's take it into account), D7200, D3500.
-Sony: nothing
-Fujifilm: X-Pro2, X-E2

Not a whole lot of them, huh. For Canon, the 5D series (the 6D2 has a flippy screen now), and the 1300D which is their cheapest model -I saw it on sale for under 300€, new, with kit lens a year and something ago.
For Nikon, the D7200 is replaced by the D7500 with flippy screen (and manages to be 3 mm thinner and a bit lighter too, again what were the odds). The D3500 is in the same position as the Canon 1300D as cheapest in the lineup.
Fuji's bodies with fixed screens are rangefinders through and through, so I guess that Fuji thinks about it in the way that Ricoh might be thinking, VF or bust.

Well, if the K-new has a hybrid VF then I'll shut up anyway, provided I manage to pick my jaw from the floor

---------- Post added 10-24-19 at 06:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I think it would have to be a selfie pole...
Let's not kid ourselves, it would need a selfie scaffold. Maybe not to hold the camera, but definitely to help with the lifting
10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #951
Pentaxian

Canon eos 1d x mark III...
No flippy.

Size impact minimal on such a beast. So why no flippy? I ask rhetorically.
10-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #952
Pentaxian

Pro[minent] camera.

10-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #953
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Canon eos 1d x mark III...
No flippy.

Size impact minimal on such a beast. So why no flippy? I ask rhetorically.
Because Canon segments their lineup in a weird way and you can never get "everything" . The GFX 100 has it, but it looks far less practical due to the blockier shape.

Mentioning the K-new in the same thread as the 1D series is ridiculous anyway.
10-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #954
Pentaxian

@Serkevan: the recently announced Fujifilm X-Pro3 has a tilting screen.

@house: there was a CR2 ranked rumour ('Good information from a known source') saying that the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III, the development of which was announced today by Canon, would have a similar top-down LCD to the EOS R. However, there is no mention of a moveable LCD screen in the press release published today. However however, no picture of the back of the camera has been published by Canon yet.
10-24-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Serkevan: the recently announced Fujifilm X-Pro3 has a tilting screen.

@house: there was a CR2 ranked rumour ('Good information from a known source') saying that the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III, the development of which was announced today by Canon, would have a similar top-down LCD to the EOS R. However, there is no mention of a moveable LCD screen in the press release published today. However however, no picture of the back of the camera has been published by Canon yet.
Absolutely correct, that's why I listed the X-Pro 2 only. The X-Pro3 has a quite unique tilt-down screen which is not *that* useful beyond playback and low angle shots so I didn't want to comment too much on that one.

EDIT: Regarding the 1DXiii, the BH video shows it with a fixed screen.

Last edited by Serkevan; 10-24-2019 at 08:18 AM.
10-24-2019, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #956
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
My two cents on the flippy screen...

I've used it a couple times in the past on my KP but never found it necessary at all. However, the other night I was at my daughters choir concert. I typically would only take pictures before or after the performance as to not interrupt. This time, with the flippy screen I was able to shoot from chest height rather than eye height. Couple that with the silent PLM, live view, and electronic shutter I was totally unobtrusive to the performance. Big +1 to the flippy screen in this scenario.
I'm not hating on the flippy screen, I think it's pretty cool. But I won't be very upset if it's missing. Every now and then though I think that it would be nice, however I don't think every single camera needs one. There are no shortage of flippy screens out there, even Pentax has got some good ones already.
10-24-2019, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #957
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
even Pentax has got some good ones already.
Literally every Pentax camera (apart from the Q and compacts) in production, to be precise. Every. Single. One. When a manufacturer "takes away" a feature that has become more or less standar, people feel disgruntled.
10-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #958
Pentaxian

I think you are making a reference to the 2011 interview with Toshiyuki Kitazawa, then Head of Business Development:

Source: Translation of Kitazawa Interview - PentaxForums.com

It was made clear later on that Kitazawa-san only expressed personal views. However, the success of the Fujifilm GFX and Hasselblad X1D cameras has proven that his perception was right.

One year after (in October 2012), Kitazawa-san had to fall in line and toe the party line:

Source: DC Watch: Interview with Toshiyuki Kitazawa, Pentax's Head of Business Development - PentaxForums.com

The latest official position on the topic, at least the latest I know of, dates back to Photokina last year:

Source: Interview with Ricoh Imaging - Photokina 2018 - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
Maybe but I think they actually meant that they are against FF mirrorless.
We may or may not see 645 milc but IMO this wasn't the subject.
10-24-2019, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #959
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

With a SLR, face detect (eye detect is again something I don't expect, but it's possible with a high enough resolution metering sensor) is possible also in OVF mode, as the metering system is active during focusing and attempting to detect and identify the subject.
The new Canon 1DXiii now has a metering sensor with 28 times the resolution as before. They seem to be going that way.
10-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #960
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
The new Canon 1DXiii now has a metering sensor with 28 times the resolution as before. They seem to be going that way.
Isn't that the AF sensor? "When using the optical viewfinder the camera will use a new autofocus sensor, with approximately 28 times the resolution in the center of the EOS-1D X Mark II."

Quite possibly they'll increase the metering sensor resolution, too.
Closed Thread