Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I could find use for the 11-18mm, the KP, and the new APS-C flagship, so I'm trying to be as useful as possible while posting a lot. I need about 64 more posts for my second entry.

10-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The grand price raffle could have been “To enter the grand raffle, the sum of posts and likes must be higher than 100”.
10-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Suggestions? This style of competition is really fair, in that anyone can win.
I agree its fair, but it turns the forums into mush. There is no substance. Its fair, but just bad for the integrity of the forums
10-31-2019, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I agree its fair, but it turns the forums into mush. There is no substance. Its fair, but just bad for the integrity of the forums
Maybe you have posted ‘fluff’/‘mush’- I have posted several hundred serious posts.

10-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #305

I hope that I can be a lucky man.
10-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #306
Forum Member

Contest for goodies

More goodies given away
10-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #307
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
The grand price raffle could have been “To enter the grand raffle, the sum of posts and likes must be higher than 100”.
101 posts + 0 likes would then qualify

10-31-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #308
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
It encourages participation in the forum and also brings new members. While some posts may lack "substance", the forum, overall, is more active. I don't see a problem with 'integrity'. There is much serious posting going on, as per usual.
10-31-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe you have posted ‘fluff’/‘mush’- I have posted several hundred serious posts.
Me too!!
10-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #310
Pentaxian

Maybe there are more posts now but pentaxforums has always been lively when there are new products are in the pipeline. Members love to speculate how products would come out, their features and if it's a lens or a camera, the image quality that it provides. New products gets everyone excited.
10-31-2019, 05:14 PM - 3 Likes   #311
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just under 8 hours to go for the October giveaway! Shortly thereafter, I will announce the winners and post the November threads.

All posts made after 8am GMT on 11/1 will count toward the November giveaway.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #312
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the time remaining reminder. Have you thought about adding a line like “the current month contest ends at hh.mm GMT on mmmdd” to the PentaxForums.com (month) Giveaway header?
10-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just under 8 hours to go for the October giveaway! Shortly thereafter, I will announce the winners and post the November threads.

All posts made after 8am GMT on 11/1 will count toward the November giveaway.
I would suggest the number of 'likes' also count in the total number.
10-31-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #314
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boy, would that inflate things. Unless there was a formula to count xxx number of likes = 1 post to keep someone from just liking every post to gain entries. Then Adam would have to figure what is a fair conversion, is it 10 to 1, 50 to 1, 100 to 1, or some other ratio? Regardless of the ratio if implemented, I’m sure a string of happy and unhappy posts will entail.
10-31-2019, 06:36 PM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Boy, would that inflate things. Unless there was a formula to count xxx number of likes = 1 post to keep someone from just liking every post to gain entries. Then Adam would have to figure what is a fair conversion, is it 10 to 1, 50 to 1, 100 to 1, or some other ratio? Regardless of the ratio if implemented, I’m sure a string of happy and unhappy posts will entail.
I believe the theory is to count likes received; so if I "like" this post, you would receive an extra 'point' towards the 'raffle'. I also believe this was suggested last month when @Adam was asking for suggestions on how these 'raffles' should be run. What it boils down to, is that people will complain no matter how he runs it. I think he is very gracious in running the 'raffles' at all. Now, I will admit that I " do have a dog in this fight" - i.e., by this morning I already had a good number of 'raffle' tickets under the existing rules and had stopped trying to receive another 'ticket'. Some of those posts were posts about the "K-3ii replacement", which I have been campaigning for even though I cannot imagine myself purchasing one for myself {I purchased a KP last Black Friday, and I cannot imagine myself purchasing another camera body for the next three or four years}, some were in other threads - including this one - but the largest number of my comments were in the "Post Your Photos" section. For some reason, that seems to irritate people, but I believe those comments are as valuable as any other comments I made - certainly more than any comments I have made in this thread. I see value in posting comments on some 'old' threads - especially old photos. Is a photo more valuable if it was taken in 2019 instead of in 1978? I think not - in fact one of my photos was taken "today" and the point was to compare it to a photo taken in 1978 almost in the same spot ..... this is not talking about the artistic quality of the image, but that is not all these is to talk about in an image.