Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm jealous. The food and drink look great -- I love the half-eaten lens -- and the prototype crop camera is alluring. Thanks for posting!

10-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm glad this lens came out. I hope I'll win it. There will be lots of times when you'll need one particularly in travel. I've used my Sigma 10-20 a lot when I travel. Shooting in doors and of buildings when you can't move back to take a picture. As a Pentax user, my requirement is my lens should be WR rated at the very least. This answers my requirement. If I don't win it, it's in my purchase list. This is one great lens.
You can already put the lens on the shopping list. I will win it
10-24-2019, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #138

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
A very enjoyable report to watch and read. Pentax cakes ... mmmm. Thanks for sharing. However, I do not understand why the king of ISO, Pentax KP was not suitable and that Nikon was better.
First, I’m so proud as a Pentax user, unique and Maverick,
However,
It’s not shame for judging a camera objectively, KP does really a good job on high iso performance, however as photo report interview, the key point will be “speed”, kp is qualified, unfortunately, my teleport lens smc DA ☆50-135 just can’t catch up with people’s movement, plm 55-300’ s AF is fast but Aperture is not enough in such a dark environment, and surely IQ is a problem.
I can capture the moment even not be ready to focus, just press shutter button with z7, but kp still can’t, it’s true.
On Ergonomics & handling, I can quick switch any settings as I want, KP is highly customization but not as quick as Z series, I define it as a still photography camera for the best cost.
Anyway, KP is really good one , but can’t compare with Z7+70-200 F2.8E FL ED, they are not on the same level
Hope I’m not offend...
10-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #139
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
However,
It’s not shame for judging a camera objectively, KP does really a good job on high iso performance, however as photo report interview, the key point will be “speed”, kp is qualified, unfortunately, my teleport lens smc DA ☆50-135 just can’t catch up with people’s movement, plm 55-300’ s AF is fast but Aperture is not enough in such a dark environment, and surely IQ is a problem.
I can capture the moment even not be ready to focus, just press shutter button with z7, but kp still can’t, it’s true.
On Ergonomics & handling, I can quick switch any settings as I want, KP is highly customization but not as quick as Z series, I define it as a still photography camera for the best cost.
Anyway, KP is really good one , but can’t compare with Z7+70-200 F2.8E FL ED, they are not on the same level
Hope I’m not offend...
I'm sure it'll be quick if you put the Pentax DFA* 70-200 f2.8 on the KP, Karen.

10-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #140

Photos: Gallery
A very enjoyable report to watch and read. Pentax cakes ... mmmm. Thanks for sharing. However, I do not understand why the king of ISO, Pentax KP was not suitable and that Nikon was better.
First, I’m so proud as a Pentax user, unique and Maverick, However,
Hope I’m not offend...

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm sure it'll be quick if you put the Pentax DFA* 70-200 f2.8 on the KP, Karen.
Offended? No, just not taking the same approach. Personally I am not willing to run a 2 brand set-up. I have the KP. I use it a lot for Sports also in bad light conditions. e.g. Youth soccer game age 15-16 old. ISO 6400, F2.8, DFA* 70-200. Individual shots, no issue, neither to focus nor the speed of focus. When AF.C i.e. tracking is concerned, the keeper rate reduces but still fine enough for me, to not think of alternatives.

For indoor situations without much movement, e.g. concert. I use the same set-up (may need the DFA DFA 24-70 F2.8 in addition). Never had an issue to focus in time.

It may well be that other set-ups are better (like the Nikon one, you mention), but with the keeper rate on indoor event I get, I would tend to disagree. For sports & birds where the movement is key, I guess we will see a significant improvement soon with the new APSC camera.

Anyway, if you have a better setup for yourself, use it. Image 1st then gear.
10-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No issues, Karen. I used a Nikon alongside my MX in the 90s, and some of my greatest friends use Nikons! Whatever gets you the image you want is the one to have.
10-24-2019, 04:03 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I basically agree with you, but I cannot imagine spending so much on a lens - so for me it is "win it or watch someone make good use of it".
Okay then, if I don't win it, I'll try getting the 12-24. But then again, I already have the Sigma 10-20. I bought it because the 12-24 isn't WR at least.

10-25-2019, 03:35 AM   #143
Veteran Member

However, It’s not shame for judging a camera objectively........
Thanks for the honest answer. It is by no means an offense. Did you tell Ricoh officials why you photographed with Nikon? Maybe their mind is coming and they announce a modern ML.
10-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #144

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I agree, but I don't have K-1, use it with KP will waste some performance of this lens, also, its the heaviest 70-200 f2.8 lens as I know (except sigma)

---------- Post added 10-26-19 at 09:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Offended? No, just not taking the same approach. Personally I am not willing to run a 2 brand set-up. I have the KP. I use it a lot for Sports also in bad light conditions. e.g. Youth soccer game age 15-16 old. ISO 6400, F2.8, DFA* 70-200. Individual shots, no issue, neither to focus nor the speed of focus. When AF.C i.e. tracking is concerned, the keeper rate reduces but still fine enough for me, to not think of alternatives.

For indoor situations without much movement, e.g. concert. I use the same set-up (may need the DFA DFA 24-70 F2.8 in addition). Never had an issue to focus in time.

It may well be that other set-ups are better (like the Nikon one, you mention), but with the keeper rate on indoor event I get, I would tend to disagree. For sports & birds where the movement is key, I guess we will see a significant improvement soon with the new APSC camera.

Anyway, if you have a better setup for yourself, use it. Image 1st then gear.
I want to borrow a K-1 markII and DFA☆70-200 and try to compare tracking rate outdoor and indoor, hope I can do it.
I want to know potentiality of pentax, it's an incredible brands, give us want they can give in such a good price, also I will try to borrow a D850

---------- Post added 10-26-19 at 09:22 AM ----------

Thanks for the honest answer. It is by no means an offense. Did you tell Ricoh officials why you photographed with Nikon? Maybe their mind is coming and they announce a modern ML.
They didn't ask me, but actually I can see their curious face
However I brought 2 camera, Mine is KP with 35mm macro limited and Z7 with 70-200 FL ED, my brother brought J-limited with DA☆11-18 and D5 with a lens I forgot.

---------- Post added 10-26-19 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
No issues, Karen. I used a Nikon alongside my MX in the 90s, and some of my greatest friends use Nikons! Whatever gets you the image you want is the one to have.
Thanks for your kindness

---------- Post added 10-26-19 at 09:25 AM ----------

Okay then, if I don't win it, I'll try getting the 12-24. But then again, I already have the Sigma 10-20. I bought it because the 12-24 isn't WR at least.
12-24 has very good IQ and its very compact, the only problem is the voice when it do AF
10-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm also using the Sigma 10-20mm .... and if I do not win the DA* 11-18, I will keep on using it.
As I said before, I am not willing to purchase a "*" lens for myself .... and Pentax is apparently not willing to make a lens in that category and within my budget.
10-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #146
Pentaxian

12-24 has very good IQ and its very compact, the only problem is the voice when it do AF
It has a second problem - the price!
For someone like me, who doesn't have much money and doesn't use UWA that often, being priced at twice the competition is a real problem.
10-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #147
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, but I don't have K-1, use it with KP will waste some performance of this lens
The highest performing lens for your APS-C camera will usually be a full frame one, Karen, that's how Canon, Nikon, Sony and Pentax work.

If you had a Nikon D500 it would be their 70-200 FX f2.8 you'd put on it.
10-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Hope I’m not offend...
Are you sure that IQ of the KP is a problem at higher ISO values?? I have used the KP at ISO values as high as 12000 and have produced entirely usable results.
10-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #149
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like an unfair comparison - a $2900 full frame body against a $750 apsc body. How would a z5 (apsc and closer to the KP price) hold up at high iso, in a dim room?
10-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #150
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or better yet, put the current Pentax HD DFA 70-200 f2.8 on a KP to equalize things a bit. Unfortunately, we all have to shoot with what we have at times so no reason to complain or question when someone shows up at Pentax event with another brand.