Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 101 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I cannot evaluate the quality of or appreciate fully my gnocchi until I have tasted the gnocchi made by other cooks.

11-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #92
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

(I hope everyone sees this is an attempt to help everyone stop taking things too seriously.... there's always positives and negative in every camera system and even in having a camera system to start with)
Hi,
In the 20th century, when the Super A came out, there was about 14 A lenses in the catalog...
For many it was a M series adapt to the KA mount, but there was choice.
In this century, for the release of the new k-1, you have... old FA lenses... and few DA lens that were running on the full frame.
That's why I've an olds FA 20-35mm, FA 15mm F/1.4, and the famous FA* 85mm F/1.4.

To be a better manufacturer in the photo market, Pentax should come out of old lens re-adapted to full frame, as they did for the FA 35mm F / 2.

Whaiting more that 2 years for a new D-FA* 85mm... it's not serious. But I'm waiting, I not have the choice.
11-02-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uh . . . . IIRC Automotive was separated from Smart Vision and the Compact Camera plant written down as Impaired Capital and transferred to Industrial Solutions > Automotive, resulting in a significant reduction in earnings for the prior Fiscal Year. Certain financing operations were sold off from Smart Vision.

Pentax brand is a tiny part of Ricoh Imaging, which is a small part of Smart Vision, which barely warrants a line item on the Ricoh financial report. (...)
Not exactly. Ricoh Imaging is Smart Vision, not a small part of it. Smart Vision is a small part of the 'Other' business segment. Automotive has always been included in Industrial Products and never in Smart Vision.

The ¥9.5bn (around $100m) write down of some Ricoh Imaging assets took place in FY2016. The earnings for the prior fiscal year (FY2018) were boosted by the gain from the transfer of logistics business shares.
11-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not exactly. Ricoh Imaging is Smart Vision, not a small part of it. Smart Vision is a small part of the 'Other' business segment. Automotive has always been included in Industrial Products and never in Smart Vision.

The ¥9.5bn (around $100m) write down of some Ricoh Imaging assets took place in FY2016. The earnings for the prior fiscal year (FY2018) were boosted by the gain from the transfer of logistics business shares.
Thus IIRC . Thank you for setting me straight. I think the underlying intent of my point stands.

11-02-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

If I had some money in Ricoh shares this thread would be more entertaining.
11-02-2019, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
If I had some money in Ricoh shares this thread would be more entertaining.
If I had some money ............ Or preferably lots of money, every thread would be more interesting (and my shopping list would grow and grow)
11-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
If I had some money ............ Or preferably lots of money, every thread would be more interesting (and my shopping list would grow and grow)
My shopping list continues to grow regardless of the amount of money I actually have...

Ricoh would be a tiny bit healthier if I had more money

-Eric

11-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #98
PDL
Pentaxian

Gee, maybe it is time for me to start wearing my Spamalot "I'm not dead yet" t-shirt. Replace the Spamalot on the shoulder with Pentax and I am right up there with biting commentary.
11-02-2019, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of my Sunday afternoon nap fantasies is “What would you do if you had a Billion dollar windfall?” Return on investment doesn’t matter - just do something with money - but it has to be possible in the real world.

One mental exercise is to approach Ricoh with an offer to inject enough capital into Imaging to expand the Pentax brand as we wish on these threads. They could issue privately to me some sort of Convertible Preferred with Warrants tied to Pentax performance.

In my dreams I think $50 million would do.
11-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's right. With Pentax you buy what you can, with Canikon you buy what you want, with Sony you buy what DPR tells you to buy after they've been paid by Sony to say so.
(Laughs)

11-03-2019, 12:25 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

In my dreams I think $50 million would do.
That sounds reachable if all of us participate
11-03-2019, 01:33 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's right. With Pentax you buy what you can, with Canikon you buy what you want, with Sony you buy what DPR tells you to buy after they've been paid by Sony to say so.
I thought it was Nikon paying them. Now it's Sony? Hmmm. I mean hmmmm.
11-03-2019, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #103

Maybe they feel they have a duty to preserve the existence of pentax

Sorry, rush of blood to the head
I sincerely agree!

---------- Post added 11-03-19 at 01:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There isn't much to say, I'm sure some would analyse and twist around the various figures - but I'll just quote from Ricoh's presentation:
"Earnings continued to rise on higher profits of Smart Vision business and finance business expansion"
Nope, no sign of doom this time either. And yes, I'm quite confident the APS-C flagship will be mentioned when the time comes.
https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/data/pre/pdf/r01q2_1.pdf
I am as pleased as anyone that Pentax looks set to continue... but isn't it sad when the good news is "Still not doomed!" ??? (Make a great T-shirt slogan, actually.) Such is life, I suppose.
11-03-2019, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I thought it was Nikon paying them. Now it's Sony? Hmmm. I mean hmmmm.
Hmm, indeed. To paraphrase an old joke: "An honest review site is one that, when it's bought, stays bought."
11-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hmm, indeed. To paraphrase an old joke: "An honest review site is one that, when it's bought, stays bought."
Again, hmmmm.
Closed Thread