Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 101 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Slow is good, but you need to mark a line in the sand to tell if they've moved. After all as I said earlier already into the second generation on FF. I love my K1MII but really find it annoying that there isn't a descent selection of glass.
I think that’s a myth. The current lens catalog is more than sufficient to meet the needs of enthusiasts, generalists, birders and professional field camera users. The APSc catalogue is the broadest available. With a K-3ll and K-70 per your profile I’m puzzled what you lack.

If the current catalog really can’t meet your needs you have the wrong brand of camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-01-2019 at 07:55 AM.
11-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not dead yet!
11-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Good to hear, but not very important news to me.
11-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It’s my understanding that “Smart Vision” includes quite a bit that isn’t Pentax, so it’s possible Pentax is still doomed while the market for automotive cameras and t-shirt printers is booming...

But I consider it broadly good news. And much better than losses...

-Eric

11-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I too think it's too bad Pentax don't have a stronger lineup of glass for the K-1. But I also recognize Pentax got into the full frame game far too late (5 years too late, maybe). They were just getting up to speed on full frame when Sony were getting up to speed on full frame mirrorless.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Pentax's lens designers are working on a lineup of glass for a mirrorless effort. Yes, we've all heard how Pentax/Ricoh is dedicated to the DSLR, and those of us who appreciate nothing but a real image reflected off a mirror, we like that.

But there's no denying what all the cool kids are playing with now, and Pentax is likely putting its limited resources in that direction, or face watching more people sell of their Pentax glass to go Sony (or Z, or R).
11-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Slow is good, but you need to mark a line in the sand to tell if they've moved. After all as I said earlier already into the second generation on FF. I love my K1MII but really find it annoying that there isn't a descent selection of glass.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think that’s a myth. The current lens catalog is more than sufficient to meet the needs of enthusiasts, generalists, birders and professional field camera users. The APSc catalogue is the broadest available. With a K-3ll and K-70 per your profile I’m puzzled what you lack.If the current catalog really can’t meet your needs you have the wrong brand of camera.
Ricoh executive Takashi Arai San himself said at an interview in 2017 or 2018, that what they needed more lenses for the K1 system. There was only one lens DFA50 released since. It's just that Ricoh Imaging weren't given the financial means Ricoh HQ to roll out what is needed for the Pentax K1. We should be in denial.
11-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think that’s a myth. The current lens catalog is more than sufficient to meet the needs of enthusiasts, generalists, birders and professional field camera users. The APSc catalogue is the broadest available. With a K-3ll and K-70 per your profile I’m puzzled what you lack.

If the current catalog really can’t meet your needs you have the wrong brand of camera.
So much this. Folks need to stop conflating "abundant" with "sufficient".

I periodically compare what's available to me in K-mount versus other brands, and when I write things down and carefully consider my wants/needs in a camera system, I find that in order to get something in another system that I currently lack I have to give up something I currently have with Pentax.

11-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh executive Takashi Arai San himself said at an interview in 2017 or 2018, that what they needed more lenses for the K1 system. There was only one lens DFA50 released since. It's just that Ricoh Imaging weren't given the financial means Ricoh HQ to roll out what is needed for the Pentax K1. We should be in denial.
Sure. Pentax needs to sell lenses to make money. And probably new lenses designed for the K-1 will provide more impressive measurables. But certainly older lenses like the FA Limiteds and 60-250 should be sufficient for the vast majority of users until newer lenses are released.
11-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It’s my understanding that “Smart Vision” includes quite a bit that isn’t Pentax, so it’s possible Pentax is still doomed while the market for automotive cameras and t-shirt printers is booming...
Smart Vision includes quite a bit that isn't Pentax, however that's not the automotive cameras (Industrial Products) and the multiple printing businesses (under completely different business groups).
Smart Vision, as far as I can tell, is Ricoh Imaging.
11-01-2019, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Just buy the system that already has all the lenses and camera bodies you want/need. Sounds strange but might be reasonable solution.
11-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Just buy the system that already has all the lenses and camera bodies you want/need. Sounds strange but might be reasonable solution.
Yes, that is the right thing to do.
11-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

What glass do you miss?
11-01-2019, 08:54 AM - 6 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I think a person is better off buying a system that does not have the bodies and glass they want. That way they can complain about the glass they "need" and there is no pressure to make good photos.
11-01-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #29
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I too think it's too bad Pentax don't have a stronger lineup of glass for the K-1. But I also recognize Pentax got into the full frame game far too late (5 years too late, maybe). They were just getting up to speed on full frame when Sony were getting up to speed on full frame mirrorless.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Pentax's lens designers are working on a lineup of glass for a mirrorless effort. Yes, we've all heard how Pentax/Ricoh is dedicated to the DSLR, and those of us who appreciate nothing but a real image reflected off a mirror, we like that.

But there's no denying what all the cool kids are playing with now, and Pentax is likely putting its limited resources in that direction, or face watching more people sell of their Pentax glass to go Sony (or Z, or R).
There is no R system APSC , the Z system APSC is overpriced and underwhelming - no need to play with these “cool kids”.
11-01-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would like for people to give a list of the lenses that they feel they are missing. And then, to answer these questions:
-Is the focal length covered by a different modern lens?
-Is it a refresh or redesign of a legacy lens (say, D FA* 85/1.4 compared to the FA*)?
-Is the aperture at least 1 stop faster than similar lenses?
-Would this "missing lens" be weather-sealed when the legacy or similar lenses are not?
-Is the performance of similar or legacy lenses so bad that the K-1 won't get good quality A3 or even A4 prints?

If the answers to most questions is "no", then the gap in the lineup is more perceived than real, I would say. At least, for the vast majority of users.
Closed Thread