Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 101 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is not doomed. And both APS-C and full frame lines have good lenses for most situations except sports, which is not a market that Pentax is attempting to dominate. But for landscape photography, astrophotography, portraits, street (esp. with the Ricoh GR line) and travel /nature photography are all well covered.

11-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Of course I think Penthax system has big gaps in lenses and cameras. All system have them. And for sure there are more complete systems out there (like FF DSLR from Canon and Nikon, FF MILC from SONY). But on the other hand Pentax has quite good and original APS-C system (probably the most complete one) and FF has all the basics now. If you really need very special lens - long bright tele, tilt shift wide angle, f0.95 monster prime or superfast FF body for sports or BIF than you are not complaining on a forum. You just buy lens and body from other company and use this. Complaining on non existent products is a huge waste of time.
11-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I would like for people to give a list of the lenses that they feel they are missing. And then, to answer these questions:-Is the focal length covered by a different modern lens?-Is it a refresh or redesign of a legacy lens (say, D FA* 85/1.4 compared to the FA*)?-Is the aperture at least 1 stop faster than similar lenses?-Would this "missing lens" be weather-sealed when the legacy or similar lenses are not?-Is the performance of similar or legacy lenses so bad that the K-1 won't get good quality A3 or even A4 prints?If the answers to most questions is "no", then the gap in the lineup is more perceived than real, I would say. At least, for the vast majority of users.
That's an objective post (sort of...). Where is the Pentax 20mm full frame autofocus available for purchase new?
11-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do other makes have significantly more lenses or do they just advertise more? I know Sony's range isn't great but it now has sigmas coming on line, the Nikon mirrorless mount is poorly supported and they and canon are losing a fortune. The problem is, how big is the market for K1 lenses? And is there enough in it to cover R&D costs? I shoot apsc and am very happy with my choices but I know the K1 is under supported. However, I would hate them to spend money they can't recoup for fear it would put Pentax's future in jeopardy

11-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's an objective post (sort of...). Where is the Pentax 20mm full frame autofocus available for purchase new?
See? There's one that makes sense. You could argue that the 15-30/2.8 covers it, but a 20/4 (or even 2.8 if possible) compact prime would be different enough to qualify as a gap. It's just that saying "the lineup is small" without saying how and why it is small helps no one.
11-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Nobody said "new' or "autofocus".
When I was "new" here. the cry was "give us a camera that will allow a 50mm lens to act like a 50mm lens."
Pentax answered that cry.
11-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, finding a 20 mm lens for Pentax *has* been slightly complicated for me... Ebay or other sites have almost nothing available.

11-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #38
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s all it comes down to, buy what fits your needs and expenses. There is nothing wrong with using multiple systems based on function, this was never a problem in the film era with people using both 35mm and medium or large format systems. Didn’t see a lot of complaining and system changing because there wasn’t an inexpensive fast 600mm for their 6x6 slr or interchangeable film back for their 35mm systems.
11-01-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But for landscape photography, astrophotography, portraits
Where is the fast 20mm Pentax lens that covers landscape and astro (beside digging into old stuff in ebay?
Where is the 85mm Pentax lens for portraits. The problem is that Pentax is weak for fast autofocus, burst rates, and long lenses, as a result is falls back into a category of people, landscape, achitecture and astro kind of camera system that doesn't require either fast burst rates and/or fast AF tracking, no surprise here. But when the Pentax offer starts to become a little weird is with landscape, astro and people. For lanscape, the D-FA28-105 is Ok but not especially wide (24-70 or 24-105 would be prefered), and there is the DFA 24-70 f2.8 , but to we need f2.8 for landscape? (answer is no one needs f2.8 for landscape images). For astro, the Pentax cameras are perfect with astro tracer, a nice unique features that other brands don't offer, but then where is the Pentax 20mm f1.8 for shooting night skies? (there isn't any, except third parties like Samyang, Irix are making the sales and Ricoh aren't making those sales). For people, Pentax K1 , great (AF should be good enough), with what lens? (D-FA24-70 does work but does not give the K1 justice, and 70mm is practically a little short). Ricoh were expedient with K1 lenses, they reused lens designs already done by Tamron, not driven by what a landscape, astro, people system needs, but driven by cost savings instead driven by customers. There is a difference between designing products to fit a purpose (what Canon generally do), and reusing product already designed to save R&D money (what Ricoh Imaging have done for the Pentax K1).
11-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Well, finding a 20 mm lens for Pentax *has* been slightly complicated for me... Ebay or other sites have almost nothing available.
Again "almost" is the operative word.
11-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
With a K-3ll and K-70 per your profile I’m puzzled what you lack.
Wouldn't want anyone puzzled, old profile needs updating, but I also posted earlier that I had the K1MII. I still have a K3ii that I use, but my primary is the K1MII

Last edited by Smoke665; 11-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.
11-01-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Where is the fast 20mm Pentax lens that covers landscape and astro (beside digging into old stuff in ebay?
Where is the 85mm Pentax lens for portraits. The problem is that Pentax is weak for fast autofocus, burst rates, and long lenses, as a result is falls back into a category of people, landscape, achitecture and astro kind of camera system that doesn't require either fast burst rates and/or fast AF tracking, no surprise here. But when the Pentax offer starts to become a little weird is with landscape, astro and people. For lanscape, the D-FA28-105 is Ok but not especially wide (24-70 or 24-105 would be prefered), and there is the DFA 24-70 f2.8 , but to we need f2.8 for landscape? (answer is no one needs f2.8 for landscape images). For astro, the Pentax cameras are perfect with astro tracer, a nice unique features that other brands don't offer, but then where is the Pentax 20mm f1.8 for shooting night skies? (there isn't any, except third parties like Samyang, Irix are making the sales and Ricoh aren't making those sales). For people, Pentax K1 , great (AF should be good enough), with what lens? (D-FA24-70 does work but does not give the K1 justice, and 70mm is practically a little short). Ricoh were expedient with K1 lenses, they reused lens designs already done by Tamron, not driven by what a landscape, astro, people system needs, but driven by cost savings instead driven by customers. There is a difference between designing products to fit a purpose (what Canon generally do), and reusing product already designed to save R&D money (what Ricoh Imaging have done for the Pentax K1).
From all the Pentaxians, you shouldn't be the one asking such things as long as you don't need any of the lenses you mentioned: 20mm, 85mm, 24-70mm f4. Until a few days ago you were very happy with the 3 lens selection you have and now you're asking where are the lenses you don't need? Ricoh listened to you and saved the R&D money for these lenses as long as you keep saying you don't need lenses.
11-01-2019, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Digging a bit further into the various documents:
  • Pentax is nowhere to be seen: no mention of the Pentax brand, no picture of a Pentax product. (The page of the presentation dedicated to the 'Other' business segment includes the picture of a Ricoh Z1 and that of a Ricoh GR III.)
  • Smart Vision during Q2: 'Smart Vision business continued strong new product performance from Q1'.
  • Smart Vision during H1: 'improved Smart Vision business profitability' in comparison to FY2018 H1.
  • Excluding the impact of businesses removed from consolidation and gains on divestment, the operating income of the 'Other' business segment went up during Q1 (from 0 to ¥1.9bn), down during Q2 (from ¥0.9bn to ¥0.6bn) and up during H1 (from ¥0.9bn to ¥2.5bn) in comparison to the same periods of FY2018.
11-01-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
From all the Pentaxians, you shouldn't be the one asking such things as long as you don't need any of the lenses you mentioned: 20mm, 85mm, 24-70mm f4. Until a few days ago you were very happy with the 3 lens selection you have and now you're asking where are the lenses you don't need? Ricoh listened to you and saved the R&D money for these lenses as long as you keep saying you don't need lenses.
Ha ha! That is hilarious... and true, in essence - Ricoh is more likely to make lenses that we'd buy, as opposed to ones we'd just complain about
11-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
There is no R system APSC , the Z system APSC is overpriced and underwhelming - no need to play with these “cool kids”.
Unfortunately, APSC isn't cool anymore. You've got the hipsters trying to squeeze anything and everything out of 4/3 and 1" sensors on one side, and full frame on the other. APSC, while truly competent, is just the piggy in the middle.

No, what I meant was that with the cool kids playing with FF mirrorless, that's where Pentax is likely putting its future resources, and why we're not seeing more DFA offerings right now.

There's some really great APSC cameras out there, from Pentax, Nikon, Canon and Sony. And nobody seems to care.
Closed Thread