Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Ricoh's financial results for Q2 - Pentax still not doomed.

There isn't much to say, I'm sure some would analyse and twist around the various figures - but I'll just quote from Ricoh's presentation:
"Earnings continued to rise on higher profits of Smart Vision business and finance business expansion"
Nope, no sign of doom this time either. And yes, I'm quite confident the APS-C flagship will be mentioned when the time comes.
https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/data/pre/pdf/r01q2_1.pdf

11-01-2019, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #2

I've been a Pentaxian since the late 60's, and heard the gloom an doom story just about as long, so I don't give it much thought anymore. Overall, thanks to cellphones, the market for consumer grade cameras is shrinking. What Mom or Pop taking snaps of the kids to share on social media, is going to spend $1k on a phone then drop another $1k on a camera, glass, and accessories. The place where I think Pentax is really missing the boat is on the full frame glass lineup. They're already well into the second generation of the K1, yet offer little in glass options. As a potential buyer, they've cut me off.
11-01-2019, 06:03 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
I've been a Pentaxian since the late 60's, and heard the gloom an doom story just about as long, so I don't give it much thought anymore. Overall, thanks to cellphones, the market for consumer grade cameras is shrinking. What Mom or Pop taking snaps of the kids to share on social media, is going to spend $1k on a phone then drop another $1k on a camera, glass, and accessories. The place where I think Pentax is really missing the boat is on the full frame glass lineup. They're already well into the second generation of the K1, yet offer little in glass options. As a potential buyer, they've cut me off.
I don’t know about you, but I could use a K-1 without spending any money on ‘glass’ - I have forty years worth stored away in my closet. Most of it is not AF - but, hey, it is still very good.
11-01-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
*Autoreply*
WE ARE DOOOOOOMED!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!

11-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
*Autoreply*
WE ARE DOOOOOOMED!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!

DOOMED I TELL YOU!
11-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems Pentax/Ricoh is content to slowly round out there small niche with slow but steady lens/body releases. I do wish they'd move a little quicker with lens releases but it is what it is. I was really surprised to see how poorly Canon's numbers were -- I always figured they would be relatively immune but their mirrorless push seems to have fallen somewhat flat while also alienating some of their EF users. Here's hoping for a full frame, high quality F4 line of lenses in the coming year or two ...
11-01-2019, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There isn't much to say, I'm sure some would analyse and twist around the various figures - but I'll just quote from Ricoh's presentation:
"Earnings continued to rise on higher profits of Smart Vision business and finance business expansion"
Nope, no sign of doom this time either. And yes, I'm quite confident the APS-C flagship will be mentioned when the time comes.
https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/data/pre/pdf/r01q2_1.pdf
PentaxIsDoomed!TM

11-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess this is good news :P
11-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
The place where I think Pentax is really missing the boat is on the full frame glass lineup. They're already well into the second generation of the K1, yet offer little in glass options. As a potential buyer, they've cut me off.
The future missing sales are invisible , never recorded nor accounted in accounting & financial reports.
11-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whew! that's a relief.
They are generating positive cash, that is what any viable business is about.
11-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Considering the plight of Olympus, Ricoh\Pentax is doing quite well in a market contraction period. I am sure that everyone wants body X or lens Y, but slow development is better than lots of development then collapse afterwards. Seems like the GR III was a sales success. It is hard to separate out the Pentax business from the rest of "Other".
11-01-2019, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they feel they have a duty to preserve the existence of pentax

Sorry, rush of blood to the head
11-01-2019, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I guess this is good news :P
Today, any news will generate a bunch of replies - it is the nature of starting a new month of 'raffle' in addition to the usual effect.
11-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Considering the plight of Olympus, Ricoh\Pentax is doing quite well in a market contraction period. I am sure that everyone wants body X or lens Y, but slow development is better than lots of development then collapse afterwards. Seems like the GR III was a sales success. It is hard to separate out the Pentax business from the rest of "Other".
Slow is good, but you need to mark a line in the sand to tell if they've moved. After all as I said earlier already into the second generation on FF. I love my K1MII but really find it annoying that there isn't a descent selection of glass.
11-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #15
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Solid news considering current markets.
Closed Thread