Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 08:04 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Booth at Adobe MAX

I arrived back home today from attending Adobe MAX in Los Angeles. There was a Ricoh booth exhibiting the Theta Z1. I stopped by and all the Ricoh employees working the booth had traveled from Japan. I commented on how I wish they would have had some DSLRs on display (but I didn't mention Sony's booth where they had a hands-on display with several cameras). The woman I was speaking with asked me if I owned a Pentax, and when I said yes she said I've probably received emails from her, as she is in charge of digital imaging marketing.

We spoke about the KP J and how it had a User mode configured with settings used by a famous landscape photographer in Japan. I asked if they were going to do this again, and she said it was too early to tell, but it will depend on how well the KP J sells. She continued about it was too new to estimate how well the camera would do, but if the J sells well, they would consider doing more custom user modes built into the camera.

We spoke about how they allowed owners of the K-1 to send it in for an upgrade. This was huge in Japan, but she didn't know it was popular among users here in the US. I told her about the waiting period for parts and how many of us participated and she reaffirmed Pentax wanted to keep doing things like this. There were other people at the booth so we didn't have a lot of time, and it probably wasn't the appropriate venue to ask a marketing person for details on upcoming projects, so we had a good conversation about current products.

11-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome! Pretty cool that she took the time out to talk! Thanks for sharing the experience.
11-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #3

Sounds like you gave Ricoh some very useful and positive feedback.

I would have been interested to find out if Ricoh has any 100 Years of Pentax events planned for the US and Canada.
11-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the report, glad to see Ricoh had people there

11-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thank for the report and I will go to AdobeMax in Japan later this year too. I will see if they will have anything there.
11-07-2019, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be worthwhile to question Adobe about pixel shift at that event.
11-07-2019, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Might be worthwhile to question Adobe about pixel shift at that event.
+1

An apropriate pixelshift implementation in lightroom would be nice.

11-08-2019, 02:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cheers mate
11-08-2019, 04:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 - good to hear!
11-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice!
11-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Glad to hear this report. With enough feedback like yours, maybe the Ricoh people will promote Pentax more heavily in North America.
11-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
+1

An apropriate pixelshift implementation in lightroom would be nice.
How should that be implemented? As far as I understand pixelshift, the resolution is improved by moving the sensor just a small amount (< than the distance between the pixels), something which can not be done in software.
11-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #13
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We’re not talking about creating pixel shift in Lightroom, rather correctly processing the pixel shift files created by the camera.
11-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
We’re not talking about creating pixel shift in Lightroom, rather correctly processing the pixel shift files created by the camera.
Makes sense, yes. Do you get several pictures from the camera which then have to be processed in Lightroom, or a single picture which still has to be improved (can not check it, my camera does not support pixelshift...)?
11-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abraxas Quote
How should that be implemented? As far as I understand pixelshift, the resolution is improved by moving the sensor just a small amount (< than the distance between the pixels), something which can not be done in software.
Lightroom should process this data with automatic motion correction like the DCU! Currentlly pixelshift doesen't marked, so you don't know wich images are pixelshifted and only with an extreme sharpening comes some effect. There is no option to correct motion even in photoshop.