Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 08:25 AM - 8 Likes   #136
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As usual, you have worked yourselves into a position where you will be disappointed by a great camera that lacks a secondary feature you wouldn’t use for even 1% of your releases.

11-11-2019, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As usual, you have worked yourselves into a position where you will be disappointed by a great camera that lacks a secondary feature you wouldn’t use for even 1% of your releases.
Should we open a thread, "Why I don't buy the new APS-C flagship"? We could discuss there, mostly about cheese...
11-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #138
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes! Finally put the flippy screen must be there arguments on the prototype to rest. That just leaves the unmarked button for continued discussion (along with the rest of the camera)
11-11-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #139
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Should we open a thread, "Why I don't buy the new APS-C flagship"? We could discuss there, mostly about cheese...
I just discovered I can boriscleto an entire thread.

11-11-2019, 08:45 AM - 4 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

Who is Albert Siegal and why do I care what he thinks?

Has he handled the final version? Does he have images of the final version? is he on the design team?

No flip screen is actually a deal breaker for me. I shoot a lot of low level macro and I probably haven't filled my buffer twice in the last year, and 7 fps would be fine. If I should be buying the K-P now, I'd like to get after it right away while prices are good. Who's putting up a grand to guarantee me I should buy now? If you're right, it won't cost you a cent. Who's in?

My point being this kind os speculation affects people's purchasing decisions and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Last edited by normhead; 11-11-2019 at 08:57 AM.
11-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Who is Albert Siegal and why do I care what he thinks?
Someone who saw the actual camera.
11-11-2019, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #142
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Notice that they claim to have handled the demonstration model and peeled back the tape and found the name "unpleasant".
This speaks of how reliable the information is.
11-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am sorry that you feel like the ‘victim’ of an Inquisition - that is not my goal - but it is nothing compared to how employees of Ricoh would feel if they saw this. I have not taken photos including myself in several years. I was merely suggesting that with so many people owning an iPhone or Android, they may have decided that their smart phone App has advanced enough that moveable screens can be replaced by it, and the average user will be just as happy.
Hey, not to worry, I was tongue in cheek, I wasn't being serious. But I can't use a smartphone as a tilt screen in the field because it's just too cumbersome.

I do hope Ricoh employees lurk in these forums to see the passion and love we have for their products.

11-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do hope Ricoh employees lurk in these forums to see the emotionally based pot stirring and hatred of DSLRs here
11-11-2019, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #145
Pentaxian

Has he seen the production model that will be on the shelves.?
Has Pentax authorized him to announce "no flip out back screen"?

A yes to either of those would settle the issue.

A no to both of them would suggest he doesn't know everything, and maybe people need to take a pill.

The last I heard Pentax reps were cautioning "this isn't the final design." Do you need an interpreter? It means "Don't make assumptions based on what you see here." Given that warning, what precautions have advocates of no flip out screen taken to ensure that the back screen won't be added in the production phase when offering their opinions?

I'm just trying to figure out why you folks think this information is reliable.
Apparently it comes down to one man who's held a prototype, and ignored Pentax's official warning over the finality of the design. How many of you consider that to be reliable?

Just curious, should I run a poll?

Oh by the way, I'm still waiting for someone so confident the new camera won't have flip out back screen they'll buy a K-P from me if it does. Lot's of big mouths on here. If you're 100% sure you'd be doing me a big favour.

You can be real money sure, or internet pissing match sure... which kind of certainty are you experiencing?

I only have one kind of "sure". My "sure" is, it could go either way, and I wouldn't bet on either.
Who has real conviction and who's just looking to argue someone to the mat in an internet spat?

You dudes are messing with my money and my purchasing decisions so let's spread the risk around a little bit, so come on, who's in?
So far no takers.

No courage in those convictions?

I won't hold my breath waiting....

Last edited by normhead; 11-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.
11-11-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

He's seen the production model that will be on the shelves.?
Pentax authorized him to announce "no flip out back screen"?

A no to both of them would suggest he doesn't know everything.
I've seen a working sample too (the one showcased at the Pentax Pop-Up Café in Paris) and the rear LCD is fixed.

Ricoh Imaging representatives attending the event, including the (Japanese) CEO of Ricoh Imaging Europe, told me that this was the real thing and most of the remaining ongoing developments concerned the firmware.

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.
11-11-2019, 09:05 AM - 3 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This speaks of how reliable the information is.
Rather, this speaks of (i) how unreliable Google Translate is since it's not at all what Kimio Tanaka wrote in Japanese and (ii) how inattentive readers are since this has been already explained twice, in details.
11-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
As long as noone in Britain opt to call it KUK, I, as a norwegian, wouldn't mind. In norwegian that would have the same meaning as if Nikon chose to call their next model D-ick.
Good one!!
11-11-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

Has he seen the production model that will be on the shelves.?
Has Pentax authorized him to announce "no flip out back screen"?

A no to both of them would suggest he doesn't know everything, and maybe people need to take a pill.
Wow, you're hastily moving the goalposts - did you forgot already how you claimed there's an indentation, and how the back of the prototype is different from that of a fixed LCD camera?
And do you truly believe every communication about a Pentax product is authorized by Pentax?

I'm afraid nothing will settle the issue, not even the production level camera - the reality denial is that strong.

---------- Post added 11-11-19 at 06:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I've seen a working sample too (the one showcased at the Pentax Pop-Up Café in Paris) and the rear LCD is fixed.

Ricoh Imaging representatives attending the event, including the (Japanese) CEO of Ricoh Imaging Europe, told me that this was the real thing and most of the remaining ongoing developments concerned the firmware.
I would be surprised if it weren't; except for one unlabeled button the body looks pretty much production-ready (at least from the pictures).
Firmware and small hardware tweaks is all that I'd expect. Reworking the back of the camera... not so much.

And no, I do not believe they tried to hid an articulated LCD.
11-11-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #150

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Well, I see no good reason for a fixed screen in 2020 and, if true, will be a blunder by Ricoh and will undermine the camera's "flagship" status and usefulness.
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I'm a landscape/people photographer. I need the new camera to replace my 2 K-5IIs. The KP isn't it - no IR remote. The K-1 isn't it - the camera system is too large. I need the K-5 APS-C form factor, large battery, IR remote, good autofocus, and tilt screen. Ricoh loses nothing by giving us a tilt screen - ALL their other current Pentax cameras have one. The lack of a tilt screen is a real shortcoming of my K-5II when it comes to my style of photography. Even my tiny Sony RX100iii has a 180 deg. tilt, which can be incredibly useful at times.
Thank you. Spot on. A camera can either excel at action or landscape, but not both, apparently. Gotta lug around multiple bodies in 2020 I guess.
Closed Thread