Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(...) except for one unlabelled button the body looks pretty much production-ready (at least from the pictures).
(...)
Even more so when you see it 'in person'. I was surprised.

11-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Rather, this speaks of (i) how unreliable Google Translate is since it's not at all what Kimio Tanaka wrote in Japanese and (ii) how inattentive readers are since this has been already explained twice, in details.
Which is why we should value our contributors who actually read Japanese. Like the primary customers of Pentax, they can understand the nuances of the written and spoken language.
11-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #153
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather, this speaks of (i) how unreliable Google Translate is since it's not at all what Kimio Tanaka wrote in Japanese and (ii) how inattentive readers are since this has been already explained twice, in details.
Well, please excuse my inattentiveness; as it's difficult to read entire threads on this topic. Won't happen again.
11-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, please excuse my inattentiveness; as it's difficult to read entire threads on this topic. Won't happen again.
Which is one reason I try to keep my posts as short as possible {but no shorter}

11-11-2019, 10:11 AM - 5 Likes   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why did that guy in Japan fiddle around trying to get the tape off - I'd have pressed the mystery button and watched the screen ping out
11-11-2019, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #156
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just discovered I can boriscleto an entire thread.
A most useful feature indeed! I use the "Participated Threads" feature of the site as an alternative to an explicitly follow and the continued inane activity on many of the rumor threads is just so much noise in the channel. One simple click and the noise goes away.

On a related note, I had the sad task yesterday of imposing a writ of "boriscleto" on a fairly new forum member whose interactions here might have been lifted from an example list of logical fallacy. That is their privilege; after all, fallacy is a comfort at times. I just chose the easy path of not being sucked into additional dialog. In many ways, that is my loss.

Steve
11-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Why did that guy in Japan fiddle around trying to get the tape off - I'd have pressed the mystery button and watched the screen ping out
At one time, before people became so fascinated with the screen, the big question was what would it be called? Some engineer(s) obviously decided to have some fun.

11-11-2019, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #158
Pentaxian

I've seen a working sample too (the one showcased at the Pentax Pop-Up Café in Paris) and the rear LCD is fixed.

Ricoh Imaging representatives attending the event, including the (Japanese) CEO of Ricoh Imaging Europe, told me that this was the real thing and most of the remaining ongoing developments concerned the firmware.
"most of the remaining ongoing developments concerned the firmware."

Does that confirm no flip up back screen? We are talking a speciific option, not "most".
To many if the back screen is flip up, you need that specific knowledge. If that's it, declaring no flip up back screen is a completely irresponsible assessment. You were told there will be changes. Not to all of it but to some of it.

That isn't enough to convince me to just order the K-P because there is no possibility there won't be one of the K-new. But then, I'm thinking real world real time purchasing. If I ordered a K-P based on speculation there would be no flip up back screen on the K-new, and there was one... it would cost me money and time.

To me it would make perfect sense to leave the back screen until production. A working prototype wouldn't need it to test and debug.

But, you were there, I wasn't so it was it a "This is the final model but I can't say so yet, wink wink nudge nudge" kind of statement or was it "There will definitely be some changes to some of the design" type of statement? In your opinion.

And how would we know this man even knows that information?
Are we to assume he knows what changes will be made in the final production model? To me that would be odd, because I'm not convinced even Pentax knows what they will have to alter, and I've seen nothing to indicate they've even finalized the external design.

As far as I know if the production line is not finalized things are open to change. Sometimes even after the line is complete and production starts they have to shut things down and revise the design. Why is that an irrelevant thought?

With the looming K-P this Christmas or K-new next Christmas decision looming, I see nothing here I trust to be true. But then, I'm functioning in the real world. It's not just speculation for me.

Here's what you actually know.

There is no tilting back screen on the pre-production test models... but there is a possibility that will change in the final production run.

I see nothing that would enable me to confidently predict any more than that. The rest is speculation based on vague statements that can be interpreted many different ways.

Did I miss something?

Last edited by normhead; 11-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.
11-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Plus no line of site issues with the smart phone app. Bluetooth 5 has range (theoreticaly) of over 240 meters.
Not even close with the latest BT 5.0 device I bought last month. 10 Meters is stretching it if there is anything that may get in the way.
11-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #160
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Which is one reason I try to keep my posts as short as possible {but no shorter}
Huh, what? Sorry, my inattentiveness is powered on.
11-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #161
Pentaxian

I think the Pentax 645 series as we know it today is at the end of its life.xxx The market for medium format cameras with a 33x44 sensor now belongs to the very successful Fujifilm GFX and Hasselblad X1D mirrorless lines. Phase One had to fall back on 40x53.4 sensors and leave the 33x44 field in response to the surge of these cameras. Within their H series, Hasselblad only promote their H6D-100c and H6D-400c Multi-Shot, both of which include a 40x53.4 sensor.
As old as it is, the Z is currently the third best selling medium format camera on B&H. The Fuji GFS 50X is number one and the 50R is number two. The X1D is all the way down at number 13, behind several other Hasselblads and a couple Mamiya.

I think there is still room for a Zii, but they are going to have to compete with Fuji on price, or go full frame 645.
11-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote

I think there is still room for a Zii, but they are going to have to compete with Fuji on price, or go full frame 645.
... or both...

Third best in sales still may mean an enormous drop after numbers one and two...

-Eric
11-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Third best in sales still may mean an enormous drop after numbers one and two...
You are probably right. However, it is pretty long in the tooth, and people are still buying it. I would have thought everyone who wanted a z had long since purchased one.
11-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
You are probably right. However, it is pretty long in the tooth, and people are still buying it. I would have thought everyone who wanted a z had long since purchased one.
There’s probably some trade in spares and replacements...

I wonder if it’s that or folks still jumping in...

-Eric
11-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FC = First Class?
Closed Thread