Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #406
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
If it can put butter or jam on the toast at the same time, I'd definitely be in. But I'd rather it be an add-on feature. I don't want to get sand in the toaster if I go to the beach with it.
The question is whether that little indentation flips the toast.

11-14-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but beyond that we will need more information before we can discuss the new camera intelligently.
Has that ever stopped anyone???
11-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #408
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Enough butter, jam, and toast comments will probably get the moderators eye for terminating the thread.
11-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #409
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Enough butter, jam, and toast comments will probably get the moderators eye for terminating the thread.
I hope "we" will stop that - have to start yet another thread on which to have serious discussion.

11-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These things tend to happen when the “serious” discussion gets repetitive.
11-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Toast needs cheese.
11-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The question is whether that little indentation flips the toast.
That's what the mystery button is for.
11-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope "we" will stop that - have to start yet another thread on which to have serious discussion.
Lol, I know you are serious here, engineers don't do silliness but like you rightly said, we can't really have an intelligent discussion on the K new (for want of a better name) until we have confirmed specifications, and this has to be better than fighting over features it may or may not have just skip over anything shorter than a couple of lines

---------- Post added 11-15-19 at 12:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
That's what the mystery button is for.
I wonder if the Latin version will make churros! OK, now I am really getting excited

---------- Post added 11-15-19 at 01:02 AM ----------

Moving away from the breakfast theme, I was watching the Canadian guy who reviews cameras and equipment and he always waxes lyrical about the features in Pentax cameras, Mattias burling called the KP a space ship so it is safe to assume the K new will have more features than I will ever use! Although I will give it a go another interesting thing, I am sure I read that Canon released an apsc that has a 30+ megapixel sensor. I wonder if the K new will stick with the 24 or go large which then throws up the question, is a higher pixel count always a good thing?

11-15-2019, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It won't take long for that to happen. I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already.
11-15-2019, 01:53 AM   #415
Pentaxian

Seriously silly comments here. Button has to be for the vegemite (if it is to sell down here).
11-15-2019, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
(...) I am sure I read that Canon released an apsc that has a 30+ megapixel sensor. I wonder if the K new will stick with the 24 or go large which then throws up the question, is a higher pixel count always a good thing?
Indeed, the recently announced Canon EOS M6 Mark II and EOS 90D include a 32.3MP sensor.

The off-the-shelf APS-C Sony sensor with the highest MP count has 26MP. It's for instance the sensor used by Fujifilm in their X-T3, X-T30 and X-Pro3.
11-15-2019, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #417
Pentaxian

engineers don't do silliness
It seems I am a terrible engineer

I wonder if the Latin version will make churros! OK, now I am really getting excited
*Salivates in Spanish. Also, if you use it with the DA* 11-18 and attach a lens heater to the dedicated groove, the K-new will also prepare a nice mug of thick, hot chocolate to keep you warm during those astrophotography sessions.

Moving away from the breakfast theme, I was watching the Canadian guy who reviews cameras and equipment and he always waxes lyrical about the features in Pentax cameras, Mattias burling called the KP a space ship so it is safe to assume the K new will have more features than I will ever use! Although I will give it a go another interesting thing, I am sure I read that Canon released an apsc that has a 30+ megapixel sensor. I wonder if the K new will stick with the 24 or go large which then throws up the question, is a higher pixel count always a good thing?
Both the Canon M6ii and 90D use a 32 MP sensor. However, AFAIK, Sony only* sells APS-C sensors up to 26 MP (as seen in a couple Fujis). From what I've seen of the 90D/M6ii, the 32MP sensor is... okay. At least in the samples I've seen it's noticeably worse (Images at ISO 400 already show a fuzzy noise all over, though I'm not sure if that's the JPEG engine) than the 24 MP sensors currently available. The 3.2 um pixel pitch is already quite low, so while you're getting slightly better detail at the same enlargement, it doesn't really allow you to crop much more (or enlarge, for that matter). It's also, IMHO, well beyond overkill for an APS-C sensor. Heck, if the K-1 had 24 instead of 36 megapixels, I** would be even happier...
EDIT: and Mistral beat me to the punch with the info. Okay, by one hour, but in my defense I left the thread open between the morning coffee break and lunch break

*Let's be honest and ask ourselves: when do we make use of so much resolution that 26MP is limiting?
**My computer goes like "not this again" every time I tell Lightroom to open a folder with 800 photos.

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-15-2019 at 05:12 AM.
11-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It seems I am a terrible engineer

*Salivates in Spanish. Also, if you use it with the DA* 11-18 and attach a lens heater to the dedicated groove, the K-new will also prepare a nice mug of thick, hot chocolate to keep you warm during those astrophotography sessions.

Both the Canon M6ii and 90D use a 32 MP sensor. However, AFAIK, Sony only* sells APS-C sensors up to 26 MP (as seen in a couple Fujis). From what I've seen of the 90D/M6ii, the 32MP sensor is... okay. At least in the samples I've seen it's noticeably worse (Images at ISO 400 already show a fuzzy noise all over, though I'm not sure if that's the JPEG engine) than the 24 MP sensors currently available. The 3.2 um pixel pitch is already quite low, so while you're getting slightly better detail at the same enlargement, it doesn't really allow you to crop much more (or enlarge, for that matter). It's also, IMHO, well beyond overkill for an APS-C sensor. Heck, if the K-1 had 24 instead of 36 megapixels, I** would be even happier...
EDIT: and Mistral beat me to the punch with the info. Okay, by one hour, but in my defense I left the thread open between the morning coffee break and lunch break

*Let's be honest and ask ourselves: when do we make use of so much resolution that 26MP is limiting?
**My computer goes like "not this again" every time I tell Lightroom to open a folder with 800 photos.

Brilliant post
When I stepped up from my 16mp K30 to my 24mp K3 my iPad lost the struggle. I suspect the laptop will do the same if I step up again. I would say 24mp is enough, but I also once thought a 32" telly was plenty big enough, so who am I to judge.
11-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #419
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol, I know you are serious here, engineers don't do silliness :) but like you rightly said, we can't really have an intelligent discussion on the K new (for want of a better name) until we have confirmed specifications, and this has to be better than fighting over features it may or may not have just skip over anything shorter than a couple of lines
I'm not sure why my personal request has to become a comment about a class of individuals. I'm sure that a person who just has to make a silly comment will be welcome over at the "satire" thread
why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - PentaxForums.com
but personally, I would prefer to keep at least one thread open here for a person who has a serious thought not yet expressed about the new camera.

A person who wants a Theta, and has only nine posts this month, or a person who wants a KP and has only ninety-some posts, can also post comments at PYP!
Post Your Photos! - PentaxForums.com

Personally, I don't see any reason for the rest of us to not be quiet for a few weeks if necessary - if we don't have anything else to say - until Ricoh gets around to providing some real information.

Personally, I think the purpose of revealing these photos has been accomplished; we now have assurance that they really will fill the "K-3" shelf again. Maybe they won't be ready to fill it until next summer, but we have assurance that they will fill it with a DSLR that seems to have the heft desired by those who won't accept the KP because of the reasons that have been stated; it will be clearly different from the K-3ii, but still mostly familiar. 'All' we have to do is wait for them to finish it.
11-15-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure why my personal request has to become a comment about a class of individuals. I'm sure that a person who just has to make a silly comment will be welcome over at the "satire" thread
why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - PentaxForums.com
but personally, I would prefer to keep at least one thread open here for a person who has a serious thought not yet expressed about the new camera.

A person who wants a Theta, and has only nine posts this month, or a person who wants a KP and has only ninety-some posts, can also post comments at PYP!
Post Your Photos! - PentaxForums.com

Personally, I don't see any reason for the rest of us to not be quiet for a few weeks if necessary - if we don't have anything else to say - until Ricoh gets around to providing some real information.

Personally, I think the purpose of revealing these photos has been accomplished; we now have assurance that they really will fill the "K-3" shelf again. Maybe they won't be ready to fill it until next summer, but we have assurance that they will fill it with a DSLR that seems to have the heft desired by those who won't accept the KP because of the reasons that have been stated; it will be clearly different from the K-3ii, but still mostly familiar. 'All' we have to do is wait for them to finish it.
Oh for gods sake! I can't even agree with you without getting it in the neck!

If you were offended by the line you highlighted, i apologise. It wasnt my intention

Regarding the content herein. This was always going to be a speculative thread as is every thread relating to a prototype who's specifications may be subject to change.

As for where, when or how often people post, that is their perogative! Providing they are not causing offence they can post where, when and as often as they like.

As for levity, I would rather have a hundred posts about cameras making toast than complaint after complaint because a thread about possible inclusions, which could only ever be speculative, doesn't die a death for want of facts! I would point out the irony here but frankly, whats the point!

If you are finding this thread tiresome, unsubscribe!

As for keeping quiet, that is down to the individuals personal preference and no one should try to dictate as this could discourage the individual from ever taking part

As for winning, given the odds against, most people are doing it for the pleasure of involvement.

As for dictating to free thinking individuals on a free forum, where they can post, only Adam and the moderators can do that.

On the subject of excersizing free will, Boriscleto'd