Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #796

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Sorry to hear that you needed to leave "mothership" Pentax. At some point in the future I hope that the Pentax ecosystem is sufficiently fleshed out to lure you back.

In the mean time, thank you for your information dumps and we look forward to further information that you're able to share.
I don's mean I gave up, still KP is my sub-camera, and I keep using it all the time
only when I need to take some picture with high-speed response and reaction I will take Z7

12-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #797
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The top dial for still, LiveView and video replaces the lever beneath the dial on the KP.

Logic suggests: the controls on the former dial will be handled by the new S.Fn button and the larger LCD; tapping the button will scroll through Functions; using the third wheel will modify settings for each function.
I love the retro look of the wheels on the KP. One VERY minor niggle is the empty space on the third wheel. The K1 has lots of options on the top wheel, the KP, has some but three clustered together looks a bit half assed
12-14-2019, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I love the retro look of the wheels on the KP. One VERY minor niggle is the empty space on the third wheel. The K1 has lots of options on the top wheel, the KP, has some but three clustered together looks a bit half assed
Perhaps the additional control spots are blank to support a surprise, the way the button on the upper left is blank.
12-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #799
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Perhaps the additional control spots are blank to support a surprise, the way the button on the upper left is blank.
That’s my hope...

-Eric

12-14-2019, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aaaaaaah, secret options they could just fill it with u1/2 /3 I guess I do like the feature on the KP
12-14-2019, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, if all the detents had been labeled, it would have given everything away. Perhaps in addition to the OVF/LV/Video, there might be EVF, HVF, and some other combinations of shooting modes.
I can't believe that a rotary knob would be used with only three closely spaced detents even if it would work ergonomically.
12-14-2019, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #802
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
they could just fill it with u1/2 /3 I guess
There are already U1-5 on the mode dial. But I like the thought of switchable options for OVF vs hybrid EVF on the extra dial. Now here's a thought - if as lsimpkins noted there were to be an EVF mode, then what if the power-off mode was mirror up rather than mirror down, and the OVF view required power to put the mirror down into the 'usual' position? In this way, the mirror would already be up for LiveView and video positions. Just a thought.

12-14-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #803
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
There are already U1-5 on the mode dial. But I like the thought of switchable options for OVF vs hybrid EVF on the extra dial. Now here's a thought - if as lsimpkins noted there were to be an EVF mode, then what if the power-off mode was mirror up rather than mirror down, and the OVF view required power to put the mirror down into the 'usual' position? In this way, the mirror would already be up for LiveView and video positions. Just a thought.
That would be an interesting concept and might even be doable if the vf is a hybrid combination. Pentax could chalk up another first in the industry that would be even more noticeable than being the only one to use ibis for other things (shift, anti-alias, and astro-tracer).
12-14-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #804

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
in photography terms, flash is far more usefull unit, I think majority of users can agree on that point....

--
I was nevere ever neded GPS - while flash is need...

I use it numerous times, just to optically triger another slave flash unit. - or when I wanted to enlight poor light situation.
--
This photo here is with pop up flash.and K-3 .. Not much PP here, but you can clearly se, how flash pop up her eyes, and not harsh ruined the atmosphere, which remains intact, and actually improved - because she is standing in shadow, while sun is lightning her other side of body and the hair.
--
It was intent use of flash - where I just wanted it to be this way. I wanted that sun glow in hair, but also wanted the light on her face.
--
I think it's a good example why the flash is useful - when you know how to well use it.
--
It's a criple pop up flash, but as you can see - well used here.

--
f 4.5 ISO 100 Shutter speed 1/90 sec
Depends what you do. I always have at least one external flash and absolutely rely on gps for recording locality of pictures with scientific value.
12-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #805
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossFrog Quote
Depends what you do. I always have at least one external flash and absolutely rely on gps for recording locality of pictures with scientific value.
Yes, it depends on you. Going back to the Age of Film, when my camera had neither, I carried a flash and I recorded externally location if it was important. I still think internal flash is useless in most cases, for "amateurs" wanting to mark important event too far away to lit by flash anyway.
12-14-2019, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #806
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
It's a nice idea but it should be user-controlled whether the camera has mirror-up or mirror-down when off.

One of the huge advantages of a DSLR over MILC is you can look through the viewfinder WITHOUT having to turn on the camera. It a nice feature to take a quick peek at the framing of a scene and to decide focal length. But that feature requires the mirror to be down when the camera is off.

Others who want the silent photography experience would want to set the camera for mirror-up when off. They'd have the camera in hybrid-EVF of LV mode which would keep the mirror up even when switched off.
12-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #807
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Is this the new Pentax video meme in the make?

ber-car/]Is This Car Loaded with 3000 Lbs. of Building Supplies?
Not sure if that might have been "trumped" (NOTE: no "T" in that word!) since it was posted - but just go visit somewhere like Thailand/Cambodia (etc.!) and you'll probably see a lot of "vehicles loaded like that" - almost on a daily basis - outside the large towns/cities (might dig up one or two pics tomorrow!)

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-14-2019 at 02:57 PM.
12-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #808
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's a nice idea but it should be user-controlled whether the camera has mirror-up or mirror-down when off.

One of the huge advantages of a DSLR over MILC is you can look through the viewfinder WITHOUT having to turn on the camera. It a nice feature to take a quick peek at the framing of a scene and to decide focal length. But that feature requires the mirror to be down when the camera is off.

Others who want the silent photography experience would want to set the camera for mirror-up when off. They'd have the camera in hybrid-EVF of LV mode which would keep the mirror up even when switched off.
I would assume that the mirror would reset to down when powered off much like it does in LV mode.
12-14-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #809
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I would assume that the mirror would reset to down when powered off much like it does in LV mode.
Both my KP and my K-30 do lower the mirror when powered off. If I understand correctly, the idea is that the camera would be quieter if the mirror could {optionally, under menu control} stay up on power off / power on.
12-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #810
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, it depends on you. Going back to the Age of Film, when my camera had neither, I carried a flash and I recorded externally location if it was important. I still think internal flash is useless in most cases, for "amateurs" wanting to mark important event too far away to lit by flash anyway.
I agree re flash being not good enough for anyone bar a beginner, and hopeless for anything more than a few feet away. It is however useful for triggering off camera speedlights and I have used mine a few times for subtle additional lighting so I wouldn't like to see it go. This is current personal preference though, which is subject to change
Closed Thread