Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #811
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I agree re flash being not good enough for anyone bar a beginner, and hopeless for anything more than a few feet away. It is however useful for triggering off camera speedlights and I have used mine a few times for subtle additional lighting so I wouldn't like to see it go. This is current personal preference though, which is subject to change
Which is why Pentax needs good RF wireless flash control built-in. Unlike a built-in pop-up flash that doesn't have to be on the top of the camera and interfere with GPS, and you can control external speedlights. I rarely use flash, but I have been slightly annoyed that I couldn't do off-camera with the K-3ii (without extra triggers I don't own), I had to use the K-30.

12-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Which is why Pentax needs good RF wireless flash control built-in. Unlike a built-in pop-up flash that doesn't have to be on the top of the camera and interfere with GPS, and you can control external speedlights. I rarely use flash, but I have been slightly annoyed that I couldn't do off-camera with the K-3ii (without extra triggers I don't own), I had to use the K-30.
Good call although, wouldn't you still have to buy a receiver for the speed light? I have to do everything on a tiny budget so only have basic speed lights. I did however manage to get a unit for the hot shoe and three receivers for £20. They are flimsy, but they work
12-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #813
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Not sure if that might have been "trumped" (NOTE: no "T" in that word!) since it was posted - but just go visit somewhere like Thailand/Cambodia (etc.!) and you'll probably see a lot of "vehicles loaded like that" - almost on a daily basis - outside the large towns/cities (might dig up one or two pics tomorrow!)
I don't doubt. Curiously Mythbusters did a segment on the Jetta and recreated the load. They were able to drive the car and concluded
that it is possible, ie, the Jetta could bear that load. But they didn't test what would happen if the load shifted as it did in the car in the original
story. There in lies the true story. Fool enough to overload a car like that, but all the fool more to entrust such a load to a couple minimum wage
employees at Home Depot.
12-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good call although, wouldn't you still have to buy a receiver for the speed light? I have to do everything on a tiny budget so only have basic speed lights. I did however manage to get a unit for the hot shoe and three receivers for £20. They are flimsy, but they work
I'm counting on Yongnuo to make a RF-capable, Pentax-compatible speedlight for $85.

12-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #815
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
... There in lies the true story. Fool enough to overload a car like that, but all the fool more to entrust such a load to a couple minimum wage
employees at Home Depot.
I remember when the Jetta made the rounds originally... if I’m remembering right, the people at the store made the driver sign a waiver that the load was far in excess of the car’s rated load. I don’t think the loaders can justifiably be blamed for that, if that’s the case...

-Eric
12-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #816
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I remember when the Jetta made the rounds originally... if I’m remembering right, the people at the store made the driver sign a waiver that the load was far in excess of the car’s rated load. I don’t think the loaders can justifiably be blamed for that, if that’s the case...

-Eric
You are correct and fault can certainly be attributed to both parties. If I were manager of that store I would have refused point
blank and suggested a rental vehicle as more appropriate.
12-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #817
Pentaxian

I agree with the idea of RF control of flash - but I doubt if Pentax will ever develop flash enhancements. I'm guessing they view graceful handling of high ISO settings made possible by the 'accelerator' to be a better option in most cases.

12-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #818
Pentaxian

Am I correct in thinking that the only known handlers of this camera are Ricoh employees - that we only know what photos reveal about the "K-3ii replacement"???
12-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #819
Pentaxian

Kimio Tanaka handled it too and the participants to the anniversary events, yours truly included, saw it 'in the flesh'.
12-18-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Kimio Tanaka handled it too and the participants to the anniversary events, yours truly included, saw it 'in the flesh'.
I was wondering if anyone has commented on its weight.

In the Advent Calendar sequence
What is hidden behind this door? (Advent calendar) - PentaxForums.com
I have been struck by the many comments about 'small and light' Pentax cameras of the past,
and I have been wondering how these comments could possibly apply to Ricoh's thinking today.
12-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #821
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing it is one thing, there have been lots of eyewitness descriptions of the camera as shown. However, I believe there have been no sightings of the camera turned on with the top and back lcd’s functioning. We’re still waiting, and will probably have to wait until the week before cp+ for that and final info.
12-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Seeing it is one thing, there have been lots of eyewitness descriptions of the camera as shown. However, I believe there have been no sightings of the camera turned on with the top and back lcd’s functioning. We’re still waiting, and will probably have to wait until the week before cp+ for that and final info.
My interest was solely in its weight - it would not have to be turned on and/or functioning to ahow that aspect of it.
12-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #823
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My interest was solely in its weight - it would not have to be turned on and/or functioning to ahow that aspect of it.
But for accuracy it should have a battery installed. If they go that far, the body should be functioning..
12-18-2019, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #824
Pentaxian

A goal of high performance won't get us a light camera - it will get us high performance.
12-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A goal of high performance won't get us a light camera - it will get us high performance.
Yes, but remember that I am wondering if they are hiding something that one would think is in 'plain sight'.
Closed Thread