Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2019, 08:39 PM - 3 Likes   #91
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If the new APSC is an Action camera, therefore articulated lcd is unnecessary as many seem to suggested, then what about the pixel-shift and start tracker? Are they necessary for an action camera? If the GPS and Star-tracker are OK to be in an action body, can't people take action photos with articulated lcd but not using it?
Will it increases thickness and weight? We stick to DSLR and don’t mind to carry heavier full magnesium alloy flagship but worry about a few more gram and thickness of articulated LCD? Unlikely.

Besides that, why spend time and money developing a new flagship to only the action camera’s market?
Limited result for R&D comes because of limited funding. Limited funding comes because of the number of sale is low.
If Pentax try to make new flagship but limited it too much to one section of its tinny market the number of sale will go even smaller and Ricoh will not suddenly throw in more money because the new flagship can sell less.

I don’t know which way they will go, but articulated LCD shouldn't be some things we have to ask for in 2020! Anyway I already stop trying to guess Pentax’s market direction.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-10-2019 at 08:45 PM.
11-10-2019, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I'm a landscape/people photographer. I need the new camera to replace my 2 K-5IIs. The KP isn't it - no IR remote. The K-1 isn't it - the camera system is too large. I need the K-5 APS-C form factor, large battery, IR remote, good autofocus, and tilt screen. Ricoh loses nothing by giving us a tilt screen - ALL their other current Pentax cameras have one. The lack of a tilt screen is a real shortcoming of my K-5II when it comes to my style of photography. Even my tiny Sony RX100iii has a 180 deg. tilt, which can be incredibly useful at times.

Here are two quick examples of images where a tilt screen was very useful to me - both taken with my Sony RX100 and its tilt screen
(click to enlarge):

(click to enlarge)
You're making all these comments knowing nothing about the camera at all. Ricoh/Pentax probably have good reason to not include an articulated screen. Why not wait and join the sure to be chorus of Nay Sayers after its introduced on the market. You're wasting your time griping now.
11-10-2019, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Veteran Member

I know that Ricoh have shown us a camera without an articulating screen. I know that - that's not nothing at all.
11-10-2019, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a landscape/people photographer. I need the new camera to replace my 2 K-5IIs. The KP isn't it - no IR remote. The K-1 isn't it - the camera system is too large. I need the K-5 APS-C form factor, large battery, IR remote, good autofocus, and tilt screen. Ricoh loses nothing by giving us a tilt screen - ALL their other current Pentax cameras have one. The lack of a tilt screen is a real shortcoming of my K-5II when it comes to my style of photography. Even my tiny Sony RX100iii has a 180 deg. tilt, which can be incredibly useful at times.

Here are two quick examples of images where a tilt screen was very useful to me - both taken with my Sony RX100 and its tilt screen
(click to enlarge):

(click to enlarge)
Why do you need an IR remote when you could buy a rather inexpensive Radio Trigger Shutter Release which has much more range and can trigger the camera from any angle? IR remotes are a total pain. Then the KP would make a very viable camera for your needs.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-10-2019 at 09:01 PM.
11-10-2019, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

I have an R3 UT IR remote that has a range of 100m, which is incredibly useful, and I don't have to use any external triggers that occupy the hotshoe.
11-10-2019, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an R3 UT IR remote that has a range of 100m, which is incredibly useful, and I don't have to use any external triggers that occupy the hotshoe.
In other words, you already have an IR trigger and are not interested in purchasing a radio trigger - do you have a smart phone? {mine allows me to both see the same view as the LCD does and to trigger the camera via Bluetooth}.
11-10-2019, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In other words, you already have an IR trigger and are not interested in purchasing a radio trigger - do you have a smart phone? {mine allows me to both see the same view as the LCD does and to trigger the camera via Bluetooth}.
This is beginning to seem like an inquisition.
Yes, I have a very good iPhone, but I'm often in the (sometimes large) group photo that my Pentax is pointed at. I don't know that Bluetooth has the range. I can surreptitiously use my IR remote to fire the shutter - I'm not sure I can do that with an iPhone and not been captured by the camera doing that. It's so much easier with an IR remote when the camera is 20m away (anyway, that's how I find it).

What I want is an updated K-5ii with better autofocus and a tilt screen. In-built GPS and pixelshift would be a nice to have, but not essential. An inbuilt flash would be nice too, but not as essential as a tilt screen.

Last edited by Gray; 11-10-2019 at 09:59 PM.
11-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #98
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plus no line of site issues with the smart phone app. Bluetooth 5 has range (theoreticaly) of over 240 meters.
11-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #99
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I have a very good iPhone, but I'm often in the (sometimes large) group photo that my Pentax is pointed at. I don't know that Bluetooth has the range. I can surreptitiously use my IR remote to fire the shutter - I'm not sure I can do that with an iPhone and not been captured by the camera doing that. It's so much easier with an IR remote when the camera is 20m away (anyway, that's how I find it).

What I want is an updated K-5ii with better autofocus and a tilt screen. In-built GPS and pixelshift would be a nice to have, but not essential. An inbuilt flash would be nice too, but not as essential as a tilt screen.
Group pictures are a different animal. A small, simple, easily concealed IR release would be easier to use than a smart phone app.
11-10-2019, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So it appears. FWIW, I am a frequent user of the IR remote feature on my K-3 and also am a strong fan of the dedicated port for wired shutter release, either by dongle or other wired switch (intervalometer in my case). There are some very strong opinions on stuff like the possibility of a tilt screen as well as addressing the "missing" features on the non-flagship KP model. The KP is a fine tool, but never hit my radar due to its small size (simple mis-match to my hand size) and lack of several features. As a result, I am keen to have the option of future purchase of a model other than the KP. I am also strongly interested in a KP-style tilt screen for both low-level and high level (above head) work for certain types of action shots. (Yes, there are people that shoot action from over the heads of the crowd.)

Where things get a little sticky here in the rumor section is that people weigh in with strong opinions when there is little or no interest in the actual purchase of rumored products under discussion. If an argument gets a little too personal or "old" (same thing repeated), there is no shame in simply abandoning the discussion having stated your opinion with no need for further justification.

Steve

(...there is also a handy little "ignore" feature whereby one does not see posts from a member who one might deem bothersome...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-10-2019 at 10:38 PM.
11-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
{mine allows me to both see the same view as the LCD does and to trigger the camera via Bluetooth}.
Did you get a GR III? If I had the extra money, I would be tempted, though I thought the Bluetooth was limited to file transport only.

Steve
11-10-2019, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #102
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw this comment on the 43rumors site.....Pentax, The Camera Company of Perpetual Doom.. Sounds a bit more upscale than plain Pentax is Doomed.
11-10-2019, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #103
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

ImageSync on your phone is triggered by WiFi, not the limited range Bluetooth.
11-11-2019, 12:13 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Saw this comment on the 43rumors site.....Pentax, The Camera Company of Perpetual Doom.. Sounds a bit more upscale than plain Pentax is Doomed.
Oooh, I like the word "perpetual"! We are going to live forever

Quietly

In our niche
11-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
ImageSync on your phone is triggered by WiFi, not the limited range Bluetooth.
Thanks, that makes sense... ImageSync works like the Sony PlayMemories app, which I do use from time to time. I don't know ImageSync because it doesn't work with the K-5II, so was just going by what was told to me by reh321 above.

Closed Thread