Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #1111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What do you mean "remove"? As far as I know, the 'flagship APS-C' camera never has had a flippy screen.
Isn't the KP the current flagship?

I changed the wording to make it more clear:

QuoteQuote:
I wonder why they wouldn't use a flippy screen in the first place? Cut costs? To make room for another feature? Doesn't make sense for flagship model.

Last edited by Tesla; 01-04-2020 at 06:46 PM.
01-04-2020, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #1112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I think the complication here is that when the KP was released, there were some comments from a Ricoh person who said something to the effect of "oh, we thought the K1 was the flagship and that all the high-end folks would buy that, so we left off dual card slots and some other things from the KP... that was apparently not the right answer..."

They have since stated they were working on an APS-C "flagship" that presumably adds some of the missing features back again while updating everything else...

So the KP would currently be the APS-C flagship by virtue of being better than the K70, the only other current APS-C model, but the K1ii is still the only current-production model I'm aware of being called "Flagship"

-Eric
01-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #1113
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax says this is a K-3ii replacement, and the K3ii had a fixed LCD.
01-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #1114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax says this is a K-3ii replacement, and the K3ii had a fixed LCD.
I hope the next camera has a flippy screen.

01-04-2020, 08:42 PM - 3 Likes   #1115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I changed the wording to make it more clear:
KP is a mid-level enthusiast camera, not a flagship level camera. K-1 ll is the Pentax flagship camera.

I hope the next camera has a flippy screen.
The K-new prototypes recently shown all have a fixed screen.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-04-2020 at 09:16 PM.
01-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #1116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KP is a mid-level enthusiast camera, not a flagship level camera. K-1 ll is the Pentax flagship camera.
We were talking about APS-C. I believe that currently the KP is their best APS-C. My bad for equating best as flagship.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-new prototypes recently shown all have a fixed screen.
I saw that. I hope they change it!
01-05-2020, 04:31 AM - 3 Likes   #1117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no official delay since there has been no official announcement of a specific date for release of the camera. I understand that we have sources that push us in one direction or another with regard to predicting gear's release date, but that isn't the same thing. This is unlike the DFA *70-200 where it was scheduled to be released and then pulled back for quite a while (a year?) to rework the tripod foot or something like that.

I did say something jokingly about "fixing the fixed rear screen," but I don't honestly think that is it. My expectation at this point is that the rear LCD is fixed and people who want the specs of the K-new will buy it and deal with it. Yes, they may grumble, but it will be the nicest APS-C camera from Pentax to date and no camera is perfect.

01-05-2020, 04:37 AM   #1118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
On the 4th of November Kimio Tanaka hinted at a probable release in summer 2020 if the development were to be going as planned: 発売時期は(開発が順調に進んでいるとして)、おそらく来年の夏頃になるでしょうね。

Source: Photo of the Day 11月4日

On the 31st of December he wrote that he formerly hoped that the lens would be released before summer and now expects it to be a bit behind schedule and not to be ready for launch in summer.

Source: Twitter

Therefore there appears to be a first schedule (summer 2020), a wish (before summer) and a second schedule (after summer), which can hardly be described as a wish.
Can you show me, in that Japanese text, any hint of Ricoh Imaging providing an estimate - as opposed to Mr. Tanaka guessing? No? Your own interpretation is that he hoped - not was told - it might be release then?
And even if we speculate that it actually originated from some Ricoh Imaging official, was it anything other than "if everything woks without a glitch, we hope to release it by summer"? As in, nothing remotely firm, no promise made, just a "best case" hopeful thinking?
01-05-2020, 05:42 AM   #1119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Can you show me, in that Japanese text, any hint of Ricoh Imaging providing an estimate - as opposed to Mr. Tanaka guessing? No? Your own interpretation is that he hoped - not was told - it might be release then?
And even if we speculate that it actually originated from some Ricoh Imaging official, was it anything other than "if everything woks without a glitch, we hope to release it by summer"? As in, nothing remotely firm, no promise made, just a "best case" hopeful thinking?
Nothing from Pentax shows up in writing unless Ricoh wants it to. Apparently they don’t want to be held to a schedule, because so far nothing has shown up. Whether we want to or not, we will have to wait for their schedule.
01-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #1120
Pentaxian

Why those rhetorical questions when you're simply paraphrasing what I wrote and meant?
01-05-2020, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #1121
Pentaxian

Let's hope that, by the time of CP+, we'll get, if not a 'full' announcement, at least some specifications together with a launch schedule.
01-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #1122
Pentaxian

Why those rhetorical questions when you're simply paraphrasing what I wrote and meant?
Because apparently you're defending the idea of a delay.
Ricoh losing rights to use the Pentax brand reloaded.
01-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #1123
Veteran Member

Ahem!...

Twitter
They should stop calling it a professional camera as long as they keep the capture mode wheel and shrink the head display for another wheel instead of just replacing the capture mode with it.
01-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #1124
Pentaxian

Because apparently you're defending the idea of a delay.
(...)
You might envisage to read more closely what I wrote.
More an internal rescheduling indeed since no estimated launch or availability date has ever been published by Ricoh.

(...)
01-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #1125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think the complication here is that when the KP was released, there were some comments from a Ricoh person who said something to the effect of "oh, we thought the K1 was the flagship and that all the high-end folks would buy that, so we left off dual card slots and some other things from the KP... that was apparently not the right answer..."

They have since stated they were working on an APS-C "flagship" that presumably adds some of the missing features back again while updating everything else...

So the KP would currently be the APS-C flagship by virtue of being better than the K70, the only other current APS-C model, but the K1ii is still the only current-production model I'm aware of being called "Flagship"

-Eric
Whatever we think or say about the flagship Pentax models, each subsequent Pentax model was for me the flagship Pentax model. Currently, my flagship is Pentax KP, because I have this type of Pentax currently. In conclusion: the flagship Pentax model is the one I currently have
Closed Thread