Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I wonder what could be added to K1 ii, probably better AF and burst rate ; anyway we will see soon enough.
42mp sensor.

11-11-2019, 06:13 AM - 3 Likes   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder what could be added to K1 ii, probably better AF and burst rate ; anyway we will see soon enough.
Better bicycle tracking would be helpful too!

11-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Better bicycle tracking would be helpful too!

Yes indeed, also face and eye detection AF.
11-11-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Yes indeed, also face and eye detection AF.
Without a doubt, but my post was maybe too cryptic... a sarcastic dig at dpreview's original test of the K-1's autofocus using a bicycle.

11-11-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
I've got a news said that the new APS-C flagship will on sell in Summer 2020
That seems about right given that sales rep tell us we will have "more information" in January.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The news that the screen is fixed is something people have already come to based on public statements during prototype showings.
I still have hopes, since they have a lot of time to develop the camera still. I'm guessing that the few information we have received so far was a kind of fishing. Reactions to the fixed screen have been extremely strong, so hopefully people at Pentax will know of it.

The K-1, K70, KP all have tilting screens. And the K-1's design has been loved by everyone. I don't see Ricoh-Pentax dropping the ball on this.
11-11-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

I notice none have commented on the clear difference between the photo we have posted on the forum, and the back of a fixed screen camera. The doubters seem to just ignore it. Conspiracy theory on a grand scale.

There is a clear bevel around the screen, and bottom right there is a corner bottom right there is an indentation that can be used to pry it open.
I'm not even sure why there is at this point any confusion around this.

The first thing I'd do handed this camera would be put my finger in there and pry to see what happens. Why would they do that if it's not a flip out screen?

I'll believe there is no flip out screen, when someone can explain the difference.

Having been off the forum for a while I have no idea what insanity transpired to convince people otherwise.

But as per usual, I go by what i see, and don't pay a lot of attention to the chatter.

Last edited by normhead; 11-11-2019 at 07:12 AM.
11-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
This is beginning to seem like an inquisition.
Yes, I have a very good iPhone, but I'm often in the (sometimes large) group photo that my Pentax is pointed at. I don't know that Bluetooth has the range. I can surreptitiously use my IR remote to fire the shutter - I'm not sure I can do that with an iPhone and not been captured by the camera doing that. It's so much easier with an IR remote when the camera is 20m away (anyway, that's how I find it).

What I want is an updated K-5ii with better autofocus and a tilt screen. In-built GPS and pixelshift would be a nice to have, but not essential. An inbuilt flash would be nice too, but not as essential as a tilt screen.
I am sorry that you feel like the ‘victim’ of an Inquisition - that is not my goal - but it is nothing compared to how employees of Ricoh would feel if they saw this. I have not taken photos including myself in several years. I was merely suggesting that with so many people owning an iPhone or Android, they may have decided that their smart phone App has advanced enough that moveable screens can be replaced by it, and the average user will be just as happy.

11-11-2019, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I notice none have commented on the clear difference between the photo we have posted on the forum, and the back of a fixed screen camera. The doubters seem to just ignore it. Conspiracy theory on a grand scale.

There is a clear bevel around the screen, and bottom right there is a corner bottom right there is an indentation that can be used to pry it open.

The first thing I'd do handed this camera would be put my finger in there and pry to see what happens. Why would they do that if it's not a flip out screen?

I'll believe there is no flip out screen, when someone can explain the difference.

Having been off the forum for a while I have no idea what insanity transpired to convince people otherwise.

But as per usual, I go by what i see, and don't pay a lot of attention to the chatter.
Bezel in my opinion is due to touchscreen feature.
There is no indentation at he bottom of display screen, it is a misleading effect of perspective : that has been discussed a lot few weeks ago
11-11-2019, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #129
Pentaxian

Bezel in my opinion is due to touchscreen feature.
There is no indentation at he bottom of display screen, it is a misleading effect of perspective : that has been discussed a lot few weeks ago
OMG. That's the explanation? "it is a misleading effect of perspective"

It's not really there? Sorry, as I said, my eyes tell me different.
Reality check.
The only other reasonable explanation is it's a feature on the preproduction models that own't be there on the final, but even that's a stretch....

Amazing what you guys can talk yourselves into.

Believe what you want, no sweat off my back.

Personally I'm going the safe route and reserving judgement until the final specs are released. And I'm certainly not going to start telling folks theres no flip out back screen until there's an official announcement of the specs. I consider that to be completely irresponsible behaviour.

The new camera's features will not be determined by who wins a pissing match on the forum.

But lets see who will put their money where their mouth is.

I'll buy a K-P on the certain knowledge of no flip up back screen on the new APS-c model. Who believes so much there will be no back screen, they will buy the K-P at the price I paid for it plus shipping to help pay for my upgrade if the new camera has one.

Anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is?

Last edited by normhead; 11-11-2019 at 08:09 AM.
11-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I think the Pentax 645 series as we know it today is at the end of its life.
xxx
The market for medium format cameras with a 33x44 sensor now belongs to the very successful Fujifilm GFX and Hasselblad X1D mirrorless lines.
Phase One had to fall back on 40x53.4 sensors and leave the 33x44 field in response to the surge of these cameras.
Within their H series, Hasselblad only promote their H6D-100c and H6D-400c Multi-Shot, both of which include a 40x53.4 sensor.
Concerning a 'full 645' DSLR line Ricoh are nowhere (unlike Phase One or Hasselblad) since there is no prior 'full 645' Pentax DSLR and there are only two modern lenses covering this format available new (55mm f/2.8 and 90mm f/2.8 Macro).
The latest announcement of a new 645 lens (HD Pentax-DA 645 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR) dates back to August 2014, more than five years ago.
There hasn't even been any revamping of an FA 645 lens since November 2015 (HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm f/3.5 AL [IF]), four years ago.
The Standard Zoom and Tele Zoom have been on the 645 roadmap for ages -Ricoh didn't even bother to update the roadmap, which still states '2017 or later' for these two lenses. This looks very much like the situation of the stillborn Pentax 09 Telephoto Macro before it was dropped from the Q roadmap.
These are reasonable arguments against a new 645 DSLR. Personally, I would like to see the 645 line continued...
11-11-2019, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NORM!

sorry, the only cheers quote I can remember people have become quite animated over this, it appears flippy screens are of primary importance lol. I suspect the final version will have a moveable screen of some flavour but if it doesn't, the world won't end at the end of the day what we have seen is a prototype. I am reserving judgement until I see the official specs

Still won't be buying one though as my K3 & KP are stellar
11-11-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

Perhaps... people are not commenting because that photo is the back of a fixed screen camera?

This was said before, the screen appears identical to the GR III's one (except turned 180 degrees). And there is no indentation.
Why are you restarting this? All the wet dreaming about notches and whatever was debunked ages ago. Trying to add raffle entries?
11-11-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm giving up.
boriscletoed weeks ago.
11-11-2019, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #134

The apparent "notch" has been explained by Albert Siegel as an illusion due to a trick of the lighting and the 2D nature of photographs:

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
I can confirm that the little notch in the photo is an illusion due to the angle and light. It's actually going out rather than in and under the screen (the right panel extends out). This in-develpment model does not have an articulating screen. Yes, I have seen this in up close in person. Please note that this does not mean the final version will not have it. This is still in the development stage, so anything can change at this point. What I was told is that the wait will very much be worth it.
You can see this in the second photo from Albert's post (click on the red quote link button to see the original post):

Imagine that the contour of the rear of the camera curves up/out from the flat plane with the LCD to a raised plane with 4-way controller much as the tip of snow ski curves upward. Then cut out a portion of the curve so a flat rectangular plate attached to the flat part of the ski extends slightly into the tip.

I took Albert's photo and added lines to show where the curve in the contour begins and ends (see 2nd photo above). If you look closely at the original photo the "top" of the curve appears as a faint line. And you can also see a reflection of the contour in the LCD screen lower right (yellow arrow).

Again Siegel mentions that this may not be the final form of the camera. The translation of plaque accompanying the prototype states the form/appearance can change. From what I can make out from the translation of Kimio Tanaka's recent blog that if this is the final form the screen does not move but leaves open the possibility that the production model can be different.

Wait and see. I'm speculating that the new body will be so impressive that even if it lacks of a moveable screen this will not be a deal breaker.
11-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The apparent "notch" has been explained by Albert Siegel as an illusion due to a trick of the lighting and the 2D nature of photographs:
And it's clear it is not an indentation but an outdentation, something that makes it more difficult to put a flat screwdriver under the corner of the LCD and pry it away, ruining your camera and voiding the warranty (what others might call "an articulated LCD").
I don't get it why we regulars must still discuss this.
Closed Thread