Pentaxian

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait - so they say and so I hope

11-11-2019, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
Good Things Come To Those Who Wait - so they say and so I hope
The Pentax community is certainly well used to waiting!
11-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The Pentax community is certainly well used to waiting!
Yeap! I've been waiting since fall of 2016 for this camera. Hahaha!

I'm hoping that they took a massive leap in AF performance.
11-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yeap! I've been waiting since fall of 2016 for this camera. Hahaha!

I'm hoping that they took a massive leap in AF performance.
Well, they can hardly miss the market indicators that suggest some sort of massive leap will be necessary to make it a sales success.

11-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Maybe some are waiting for better video performance but AF Performance is one of the most awaited development in this camera.
11-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And yet, low end Canon DSLRs cost less than most low end mirrorless.
How can ?
Canon also seems to over-produce their low end models and clear them out at low prices around this time of year in the US.
At the warehouse stores, you can historically find very aggressive pricing on kits with last year’s entry level model.
Of course the lenses may not be stabilized, and the bag will be awful, etc... but the price is low.

-Eric
11-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, they can hardly miss the market indicators that suggest some sort of massive leap will be necessary to make it a sales success.
I don't know how they will define "success" for this camera - do you???

11-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
the bag will be awful, etc... but the price is low.
Depends which bag is kitted with the camera, just as people here seem to equate "kit lens" and cheap lens.
As I've committed many times here, the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 that was kitted with my "Super Program" in 1983 was a fine lens.
Likewise, when I replaced that camera with a Canon EOS Elan in 1995, the bag that kitted with that camera was a fine bag - in fact, after 20 years of use with that camera and the two Rebels that followed it, that bag is in better shape now than any bag I have from Pentax, despite the "Pentax" bags having much less use.
11-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Likewise, when I replaced that camera with a Canon EOS Elan in 1995, the bag that kitted with that camera was a fine bag - in fact, after 20 years of use with that camera and the two Rebels that followed it, that bag is in better shape now than any bag I have from Pentax, despite the "Pentax" bags having much less use.
There was a time in the mid-90s when Canon’s kit bags were superb.

I used to sell them to people shooting all brands. They weren’t fancy, but they were well made and reasonably sized. And they were half the price of fancier bags that weren’t any better...

-Eric
11-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how they will define "success" for this camera - do you???
I don't need to tell you that I don't, but I'd suggest they'd want to do more than just break even. This is meant to be their top APS-C camera, and the competition is still fairly stiff in that segment, especially in the DSLR sub-segment, which they could well end up owning, if the major manufacturers continue to move away from it.
11-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #191
Pentaxian

I don't need to tell you that I don't, but I'd suggest they'd want to do more than just break even. This is meant to be their top APS-C camera, and the competition is still fairly stiff in that segment, especially in the DSLR sub-segment, which they could well end up owning, if the major manufacturers continue to move away from it.
My point was that we don't know that a "massive leap" is necessary for 'success'. I don't know how their pricing is planned, nor do I know what kind of volume will be needed to reach their goals. We have already been told that the Pentax staff is excited about this camera, so they must think it good; their base of customers seems more than ready for this camera - I just wish it would be ready about five months earlier.
11-11-2019, 09:00 PM - 7 Likes   #192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Yes indeed, also face and eye detection AF.
BTW, if you haven't tried out Pentax face detection autofocus in Live View, Belnan, it's defacto eye detection, you need to have both eyes visible though. I think I took the one below using it on the K-1 with the DA*55 in FF mode:

11-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My point was that we don't know that a "massive leap" is necessary for 'success'. I don't know how their pricing is planned, nor do I know what kind of volume will be needed to reach their goals. We have already been told that the Pentax staff is excited about this camera, so they must think it good; their base of customers seems more than ready for this camera - I just wish it would be ready about five months earlier.
I agree with that. However, I think it’s well-established that there are several areas where a significant improvement is required. Perhaps “massive leap” is overstating it, but the perception is as important as the reality in customer terms. While people talk a lot about AF performance, I personally don’t have a great issue with the K-1’s abilities there, but more and better is always good to have, and it’s important to match the best of your competition where you can.

Nonetheless, as I said elsewhere, here, having this model stand out in some way is fairly important to achieve sales sufficient to power the next body development, whichever format it might be in. That’s what I’d be counting as “success”, because it’s critical to have the cash flow to keep the brand viable. What that actually means in sales numbers and nett profit, I have no idea.
11-11-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #194
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting, didn’t know it was based on the eyes. Great picture.
11-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Could they? I would say that a prism and mirror dimensioned for a 33x44 sensor + a dedicated autofocus module and their assembly with very tight tolerances might cost (much) more than a plug-in electronic viewfinder (the cost of which doesn't depend on the sensor size, obviously).
They don't need to design a new prism and mirror for that size sensor, the 645Z one should work just fine. And I would think the enhancements to AF only need to be medium...no one is using an MF camera for action sports or fast moving wildlife.

On the tilt screen front, reh321, we're kind of beating a a dead horse, but again, not like it's new tech for Pentax. They already have multiple cameras with it. And newer competing cameras from other manufacturers have them. So I don't think that's a feature that would just please a few users, it's one that would please a lot of users.
Closed Thread