Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Some people like red, others prefer green.

Some people would need an articulating screen, others don't.

Can't we just agree that we are different and have differing needs and preferences?
of course

I like buts more than boobies - how about you ?

11-12-2019, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
of course
I like buts more than boobies - how about you ?
Of the two, I favour the upper part.
11-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #228
Pentaxian

I would not buy ANY camera without tilt ( flip ) screen, or FLASH unit - in 2019.
-
I have Oly Pen EP-5 - which does have both.
--
I have Pentax Mx-1 - which does have both.
--
I have Pentax KP - which does have both.
---
and I also have Ricoh Gx200 - with flash - no tilt screen.

and K-3 - with flash -no tilt screen
.-------------------

I'm pretty well covered - and I choose what to buy.
--
That's me.

What suits you, is something you know
--
I was answering about my needs. I can live without Tilt or Flip screen - I personally much more prefer TILT over FLIP - but both is much better option from fixed
and I require neither. For those occasions which require flash, I still have the small 'auto' Vivitar-branded flash which I used thirty years ago to photograph my baby daughters - as I said, I have seldom used flash ever.
Today I have

Pentax Q-7 ... which has flash - but I use external unit - and no flippy screen

Pentax K-30 ... which has flash - but I use external unit - and no flippy screen

Pentax KP ... which had flash - but I accidentally glued down - and flippy screen which I have used once

but that is just me.
11-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Pentax KP ... which had flash - but I accidentally glued down
whaaaat ???

How in the hell you do that

11-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #230
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Flip screen is the most useful option for capturing from frog perspective...
I agree...I am getting too old to be flat on my stomach shooting ground-level macro. A flippy is also good for shooting from the clam perspective...

That said, I did the above shot with my K-3 held 5cm above the brine and even got the horizon straight with only a wet knee. To be honest, I would be happy either way as far as a flippy goes and if I truly needed one, would pick up a used KP for that type of shooting.*

Steve

* Less expensive than springing for a field monitor and rig.
11-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #231
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are some things best left private.

Steve
11-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are some things best left private.

Steve
The whole last page of this thread seems to have gone that way...

-Eric

11-12-2019, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #233
Pentaxian

whaaaat ???

A weakness of the KP is the flash unit. Somehow the plastic got cracked/broken in my bag, so I used 'Gorilla Glue' to stabilize it when I got home, and got a tiny amount between the body and the flash part. By the time I had noticed, it was glued very shut.

added: camera still works fine.

11-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The whole last page of this thread seems to have gone that way...

-Eric
Only the last page???
11-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot believe they would come out - with new flagship - and with fixed screen.
A fixed rear screen seems to be just fine for Leica on the new SL2, priced at $5995 . . .
11-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #236
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
A fixed rear screen seems to be just fine for Leica on the new SL2, priced at $5995 . . .
Or a hidden screen like that Fuji
11-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Or a hidden screen like that Fuji
Oh god that's horrible. Will be interesting to see how well it sells. The other problem with that screen is the articulation. If you want to hold the camera above your head, forget it!
11-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Oh god that's horrible. Will be interesting to see how well it sells. The other problem with that screen is the articulation. If you want to hold the camera above your head, forget it!
It was called "brilliant" on some other thread
11-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #239

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The level of margin is indeed decided upon by the manufacturer. The purchase and manufacturing/assembly costs are not.

I would bet that the purchase and manufacturing/assembly costs of a pentamirror and mirror dimensioned for a 14.8x22.2 sensor + a dedicated entry-level autofocus module are lower than or close to the purchase cost of an entry-level electronic viewfinder whereas the purchase and manufacturing/assembly costs of a pentaprism and mirror dimensioned for a 33x44 sensor + a dedicated autofocus module is higher than the purchase cost of a mid-to-high level electronic viewfinder.
I wouldn't bet before knowing all parameters. There are too many unknowns. The volume may drive it in one way or the other. Electronics cost versus make & labor to assemble. The phase detect pixel you need on a MILC versus the module costs (e.g. AF) on a DSLR etc.

Initially they would have artifically high prizes to compensate for the loss in numbers of the reducing market i.e. technology introduction. Sony and Fuji add the lifestyle factor in addition. But the market pressure is so high, therefore is competition, these margins will very quickly come down.

Anyway, the camera is the smallest part. When I saw the cost for these new high end lenses, the DSLR will win. When reading the R mount or Z mount requirements, high grade lenses will cost more compared to DSLR lenses. Asnd the technology benefit appears small to me.
11-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It was called "brilliant" on some other thread
Brilliant, like the light on the front of an oncoming train lol! I don't see the point. If they want to stop you chimping just make the default screen condition to be "off"! Ah well, its Fuji, I am sure it will be a great success! Although it is one camera in their line I won't be lusting after! (Some of the others are rather nice, not silver KP nice, but nice)
Closed Thread