Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #241
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now Canon is realizing they’ve got pro’s that really prefer the dslr design over mirrorless, imagine that

11-12-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
And now Canon is realizing they’ve got pro’s that really prefer the dslr design over mirrorless, imagine that
That took a while lolol, although, to be honest, quite a few pros didn't adopt mirrorless in the first place I have used an evf and rather liked it so, at my standard, I can't see a negative to the mirrorless concept other than possible eye strain from the evf, but I have a KP which, with a limited on board, is probably smaller than mirrorless sytems anyway
11-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
If you want to hold the camera above your head, forget it!
Wrong - a person can see a modern LCD at a fairly large angle. I originally started taking my photo over the fence without tilting the LCD, and then I remembered I had my ‘new’ KP with its tilting LCD. Tilting is easier, but people are focusing on that too much - we really ought to wait and see why the Pentax professional are excited before reaching conclusions.
11-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
So K-FC in summer 2020, then the K1 replacement the K-OK in 2023.
I fear they may have some trouble marketing that K-1 replacement with that name, though.

11-12-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I know I have come full circle on that. After a few years shooting pretty exclusively on mirrorless, I now prefer a DSLR. The things I lost with the dslr were worth more to me than the things I gained with mirrorless.

Another thing that's interesting is that a dslr has the mirrorless functions built into the rear lcd with live view when I want to use something like exposure preview, but a mirrorless camera does not have an optical viewfinder for when I want that.
11-12-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Wrong - a person can see a modern LCD at a fairly large angle. I originally started taking my photo over the fence without tilting the LCD, and then I remembered I had my ‘new’ KP with its tilting LCD. Tilting is easier, but people are focusing on that too much - we really ought to wait and see why the Pentax professional are excited before reaching conclusions.
OK, calm down, I was saying I don't like the Fuji screen because it seemed odd spending money on the strange design, I didn't say anything against Pentax! My K3 and KP are the business, and if I don't have a tilt, I just get on with it, just like you I am in your corner here hysteria is pointless over something that may or may not happen
11-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #247

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Well, I see no good reason for a fixed screen in 2020 and, if true, will be a blunder by Ricoh and will undermine the camera's "flagship" status and usefulness.
Perhaps..., but those of us that prefer to have a "fixed" screen will be happy

11-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
I wouldn't bet before knowing all parameters.
A modern mini screen viewfinder replacement costs as much as $460: Sony Unveils EVF with 1.6x Resolution Increase and 240fps Refresh Rate

I'd hazard the guess that actually the mini screen is the most expensive part of a DSLM unless someone can prove me wrong.

I am also not buying any claims that older mini screens cost that much less for modern lower end DSLM as there is no evidence supporting this.
11-12-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Well, I see no good reason for a fixed screen in 2020 and, if true, will be a blunder by Ricoh and will undermine the camera's "flagship" status and usefulness.
True or not, DPR will say it does.
11-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #250
Pentaxian

if they really figure out a fast, bulletproof way to use LV on a phone (currently is pretty neat if not always useful), it could go a ways toward not needing an articulating screen.
11-12-2019, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
Perhaps..., but those of us that prefer to have a "fixed" screen will be happy
I guess you never heard of crazy glue?
11-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, calm down, I was saying I don't like the Fuji screen because it seemed odd spending money on the strange design, I didn't say anything against Pentax! My K3 and KP are the business, and if I don't have a tilt, I just get on with it, just like you I am in your corner here hysteria is pointless over something that may or may not happen
I was disagreeing with one statement, plain and simple.
11-12-2019, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
* How did you shoot frogs before moveable screens?
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I find that modern LCDs have such an angle of seeing, I could probably take 'frog shots' today without getting on the ground ...
Look, those remarks weren't addressed to me, but I don't think there are many people on this forum that have shot more field-macros using magnified liveview to focus on fixed-screen k-mount cameras than I have. So yeah, it can be done. I know. I've even extolled the virtues of the K-3 for focus-stacked field macros. Seriously, check my Flickr stream. I use this mode so much that when Ricoh started to put liveview on the mode dial instead of a button, I took notice because that would save me an operation practically every time I turn on the camera.

But the question is not can you produce decent work with sub-optimal tools. No camera is perfect... The question is will I spend a considerable amount of money in 2020 on a K-mount body that still has a fixed screen? (See below.)

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Some people like red, others prefer green.
This is not a zero-sum game. If you don't like to use a moveable screen on a camera that has one, you just leave it in place. Just like if you want to shoot manual focus, the fact that the camera has an auto-focus module isn't an impediment. But if you want to use a moveable screen on a camera that has none, well, you can't. Would anyone seriously not buy this camera because of a moveable rear screen?!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Will you buy the camera if the screen is fixed?

Well, I can't answer that without knowing the full feature set as well as the release date. If money fell out of trees, sure, I'd buy it just because of my attachment to the brand that got me into photography. But as is, for me, it seems fairly unlikely. Maybe if it had the forever-rumored hybrid viewfinder, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've been waiting what feels like forever for basically K-3-plus-movable-screen, but Ricoh seems to not want to make that. Since the K-3ii, they've released larger, slower FF bodies, and lower-end, variously crippled APS-C bodies. And now K-new is probably 80% likely to have a fixed screen...

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-12-2019 at 12:23 PM.
11-12-2019, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
This is not a zero-sum game. If you don't like to use a moveable screen on a camera that has one, you just leave it in place. Just like if you want to shoot manual focus, the fact that the camera has an auto-focus module isn't an impediment. But if you want to use a moveable screen on a camera that has none, well, you can't. Would anyone seriously not buy this camera because of a moveable rear screen?!
I don't identify with those who have been complaining about the KP in the recent few years, and I did purchase one the last Black Friday. I have heard complaints about the size of the KP's buffer {I have not yet filled it}, the lack of a top LCD {I have never had a Pentax with one}, the size of its battery {I have never used more than 1+ one in a day; changing in one of the two in my bag is fast and easy}, and its plastic top {I did crack the flash and managed to glue shut the flash which I don't use anyway}. These are all operation details which don't apply to me, and which we don't understand how the "K-3ii replacement" rates on any of them yet. Unfortunately all Ricoh has released about the new camera is its body, and people have focused on the LCD ..... I would rather wait and see how it rates on these other things.
11-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Well, I can't answer that without knowing the full feature set as well as the release date. If money fell out of trees, sure, I'd buy it just because of my attachment to the brand that got me into photography. But as is, for me, it seems fairly unlikely. Maybe if it had the forever-rumored hybrid viewfinder, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've been waiting what feels like forever for basically K-3-plus-movable-screen, but Ricoh seems to not want to make that. Since the K-3ii, they've released larger, slower FF bodies, and lower-end, variously crippled APS-C bodies. And now K-new is probably 80% likely to have a fixed screen...
I don't see any reason to label the KP as "crippled" - it is simply smaller than the K-3ii is, and performs better at higher ISO settings. I value both of these, and view losing either a form of 'crippling'.
Closed Thread