Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
This is not a zero-sum game. If you don't like to use a moveable screen on a camera that has one, you just leave it in place. Just like if you want to shoot manual focus, the fact that the camera has an auto-focus module isn't an impediment. But if you want to use a moveable screen on a camera that has none, well, you can't.
As mentioned both Canon and Leica has recently revealed super expensive top notch cameras with fixed screens. Why would they do that if there's no "cost" to adding a moveable screen? It's not a price issue with the cameras mentioned they can basically have any feature the manufacturers want to include.

It would be really interesting to hear some posters think around the above cameras, their users etc.

11-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You really need to use the quote feature. I tried, but I cannot find a reference to "FC".

First page, picture posted by Karen the Star.
11-12-2019, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both a fixed screen K-3 and a flip up screen K-1. I will never willingly buy another camera without a flip up screen.

I'm 80 percent certain the new APS_c has a flip up back screen, so, I'm waiting. The back of the demo model looks nothing like any fixed back screen I've seen.

There's a bevel all the way around the screen and a protruding knob to pull it out. Two pieces of evidence the screen will not be fixed. But I'd be intersted if any one can show me a fixed screen from any brand with similar characteristics, I'll be a happy to change my opinion. You certainly won't be finding one on a Pentax.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.
11-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #259
Pentaxian

This thread is theoretically about timing of the new camera.
It is interesting how every Thread eventually turns to the LCD.

11-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Leica is more of an exception. They have been so much focused on preserving design and street shooting that it doesn't surprise me there.
But the new Canon EOS R cameras have a tilt screen, as do the Nikon z6 and z7. The Canon 1DX Mk3 is the big new one that doesn't. But are we really thinking that the K-new is a similar type of camera to that?
11-12-2019, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #261
Pentaxian

Its kind of a deal breaker.

But if you want to talk about timing, it would seem June/July 2020 is a consensus, based on nothing.

If it's not out for tax return time I won't be buying it until 2021 in any case. Around here that would be April. I could care less, 2020, 2021. What's the rush? The later I wait to buy the longer it will take to get old.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2019 at 02:28 PM.
11-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #262

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Its kind of a deal breaker.
looks like it's not in your future then.

11-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #263
Pentaxian

I think it's interesting how some people are so very certain that this camera will have a flip/articulating screen despite almost all evidence provided as of yet to the contrary. I can relate that to something else but then it'll get political and that's a big no-no. Even so, it's pointless even trying to discuss it because we don't know anything, literally nothing, about this camera except for what it looks like as of the last showing and that it will be the APS-C flagship. That's it. Everything else is unknown.

So everyone who is whining and crying about it not having a flippy screen (yes, you people are whining and crying about it [not meant at you reh]) are doing so needlessly. They're yelling into a void because - face it - you won't change the overall outcome, inclusion or exclusion, of the feature. If they're completely trashing the mere thought of buying the new camera for the sole reason that it might not have their prefered mechanism for screen movement, oh well. I'm of the opinion that that is just a feature that's easily picked out as a scape goat for them to blame their not wanting the camera on. I personally don't care one bit what the screen does. I've used the K-70 and I moved to the K-3II. Sure, the lack of a flippy screen has been inconvenient at times but in no way does it make the K-70 more of a "premier" camera over the K-3II. And it only forces me to try to be a bit more creative.

Anyway, if they want to get the new camera and are so sure that it is still a flip screen, I'd oblige them to try to "flip" the screen using the "indentation" and see what happens. But they can't come running to me or Ricoh when their screen breaks and they're left with a no-screen camera instead.
11-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
looks like it's not in your future then.
Not to me it doesn't. And the only real evidence is on my side.
The evidence against is some guy who saw a pre-production model that he was told was going to change, says the pre-production model doesn't have one. But he was warned, change was going to come. We just don't know what change.
11-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #265
Pentaxian

Not to me it doesn't. And the only real evidence is on my side.
The evidence against is some guy who saw a pre-production model that he was told was going to change, says the pre-production model doesn't have one. But he was warned, change was going to come. We just don't know what change.
Meanwhile, you can take photos with your K-3 and K-1, and I can take photos with my KP.
11-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Both topics are speculative, to some degree. The (unhelpful) only things we can say for certain are:
  1. The new camera will arrive when Ricoh are good and ready; and
  2. It’s possible that the LCD screen may change from the prototype exhibited.

On the off-topic subject of shooting frogs (who does that?) should I ever have had the urge to do so, prior to the arrival of my K-3 and the FLUcard (also the subject of furious debate, back then) I would have used my Refconverter, which still required me to get down on my knees (undignified at least, painful at worst) or lie down (not always possible or desirable). Now, I can set my camera up on a mini-tripod or similar, position and focus etc while maintaining a comfortable position, and shoot with a tap on my phone screen or press of my remote button.

BTW, you’re only three months ahead of me, reh321.
11-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #267
Pentaxian

I'm 80 percent certain the new APS_c has a flip up back screen, so, I'm waiting. The back of the demo model looks nothing like any fixed back screen I've seen.
I admire your optimism! The most definitive thing I've seen on that was this recent post by Mistral75, which doesn't seem quite as optimistic as you on the topic. It does, however, leave the door slightly ajar ("most of the remaining ongoing developments concerned the firmware"), so it could happen... Let's hope so. As for timing, if it ships next summer only, I might have to decide between a used K-3ii and, err, some lateral movement. My K-3 is starting to get a little flaky - I doubt it will make it to next summer. But that's for a different thread.
11-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I fear they may have some trouble marketing that K-1 replacement with that name, though.
As long as they don't call it Circle-K.
11-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
As long as they don't call it Circle-K.
Or Special-K.
11-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #270

I guess you never heard of crazy glue?
My main objection to an articulated or tilting screen is that it adds bulk to the camera body. On a small camera like the KP, which I acquired last December, its not that much of an issue & it is occasionally useful. But I don't miss having one when I am using my K-3 or K-5. By the way if the price of the KP falls below $700 (US) this year as it did for Thanksgiving & Christmas last year its well worth that price.
Closed Thread