Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
("most of the remaining ongoing developments concerned the firmware"),
Externally, adding a flip screen to the back would be the easiest change, looking at the camera. It looks like the back screen is a placeholder and not even permanently attached.

I don't mind being the only optimist. But as noted, the K-P is a fall back. None of the things in the flagship series is as important to me as the flip screen. I never use both card slots. Changing batteries is not an issue. As much as I love the 23 shot buffer, my style has evolved and I'm just not taking those long bursts very often.

This has become one of my favourite ways to shoot.

For this

And this.

Pixels shift and small tripod macros. That's someting I'm just not giving up. You guys can lie in the mud to get these images if you want, not me.

A very large percentage of this album is small tripod and pixels shift with the use of the flip up screen.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149541448@N08/albums/72157686383848284

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2019 at 06:56 PM.
11-12-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Externally, adding a flip screen to the back would be the easiest change, looking at the camera. It looks like the back screen is a placeholder and not even permanently attached.

I don't mind being the only optimist. But as noted, the K-P is a fall back. None of the things in the flagship series is as important to me as the flip screen. I never use both card slots. Changing batteries is not an issue. As much as I love the 23 shot buffer, my style has evolved and I'm just not taking those long bursts very often.
So, get a KP when the price goes down again around the holidays - it would encourage you to evolve even more to shorter bursts all the time.
11-12-2019, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, get a KP when the price goes down again around the holidays - it would encourage you to evolve even more to shorter bursts all the time.
My K-3 despite the beating it gets and the 135,000 shutter activations shows no mechanical signs of wear. Have rubbed the finish off in some places, but that just makes it look cool. If I have money this year, I'd like to get the 16-85 to use with my 55-300. last time out with the Sigma 8-16, most of my images were 16mm. The 16-85 could mean on many trips I leave the 8-16 home. Not having to make a decision on a camera body until next year could be good thing.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2019 at 06:57 PM.
11-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #274
Pentaxian

This has become one of my favourite ways to shoot.

For this

And this.

Pixels hit, small tripod. That's someting I'm just not giving up. You guys can lie in the mud to get these images if you want, not me.
How would it be the easiest change? The back of the camera would need to be redesigned, a new mechanism installed (which also ties into the back having to be redesigned), new electronics put in and new circuitry designed and tested, new certifications obtained, more physical testing would have to be conducted, new molds cut, new CNC programs created. It would most definitely be the complete opposite of "easy." And it definitely wouldn't be quick. Unless, of course, you want the release date pushed back even further into 2020 and, worst case scenario, 2021.

11-12-2019, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #275
Pentaxian

Meanwhile, you can take photos with your K-3 and K-1, and I can take photos with my KP.
For me that's the biggest problem with this upgrade. They are going to have to have some pretty special new tech to make it compelling. My K-3 use has slowed down with the K-1 sharing half the load now. I don't doubt that they will have some exciting new tech, they always do, but what kind of tech and whether or not it will appeal to me is going to be the question.

When you think last time the went to 24k from 16 and 8 fps and 23 shot buffer, you really have to wonder what they have up their sleeves. Pentax unlike some companies releases new models when they have something spectacular up their sleeves.
11-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #276
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me that's the biggest problem with this upgrade. They are going to have to have some pretty special new tech to make it compelling. My K-3 use has slowed down with the K-1 sharing half the load now. I don't doubt that they will have some exciting new tech, they always do, but what kind of tech and whether or not it will appeal to me is going to be the question.

When you think last time the went to 24k from 16 and 8 fps and 23 shot buffer, you really have to wonder what they have up their sleeves. Pentax unlike some companies releases new models when they have something spectacular up their sleeves.
I think that is going to be the biggest question for the existing k3 user base...what is going to be so compelling to make the upgrade necessary.
11-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There’s always that unlabeled button. Maybe K-new doesn’t need a moveable screen.

Read my Sig.

11-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There’s always that unlabeled button. Maybe K-new doesn’t need a moveable screen.

Read my Sig.
The information released so far - namely what the shell will look like - tells us very little. The real issues are internal, such as whether they have changed the processor.
11-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
How would it be the easiest change? The back of the camera would need to be redesigned, a new mechanism installed (which also ties into the back having to be redesigned),
And you know there is no space for the articulating flip screen mechanism under that removable looking back panel because you've had a peak in there? You assume that the articulating back screen hasn't been already designed. I'm assuming it has been designed but hasn't been implemented into the prototype yet.
11-12-2019, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #280
Pentaxian

... You assume that the articulating back screen hasn't been already designed. I'm assuming it has been designed but hasn't been implemented into the prototype yet.
Indeed, that has to be the most optimistic assumption. That the design of the screen tilting mechanism is meant to be a surprise, and was deliberately removed from those few prototypes that were built to be shown outside of the company prior to the official announcement. Meanwhile, all the internal testing and certification processes would be done with different bodies - ones built with the actual moveable screen mechanism (tied to the mystery button). This would be a communications strategy. It doesn't seem impossible, but it seems unlikely to me.
11-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #281
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We’ll know for sure after the first of the year
11-13-2019, 12:16 AM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was disagreeing with one statement, plain and simple.
Use of the word "WRONG" got my hackles up. I am use to being told I am wrong and it doesn't bother me. Its the way I am told that causes the offence.
11-13-2019, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Basically there are two scenarios here - the first is that the K-new has a fixed screen, and the second is that it has a moveable screen of some sort that is sufficiently different to anything else that they don't want us to know about it yet - they are the only two reasons that I can think of for showing the prototype as shown. Considering that they were quite keen to show the K1s unique flippy mechanism from quite early on, my inference would be the first scenario - but I'm sure there will be something new and different about the camera - a lot of redesign has gone on.

Last edited by ffking; 11-13-2019 at 04:42 AM.
11-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to put an external mirror in order to see the screen image without bending?
The image would be reversed, but there could be a reversal option in camera, just for having it the wright way after the reflection.
11-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Is it possible to put an external mirror in order to see the screen image without bending?
The image would be reversed, but there could be a reversal option in camera, just for having it the wright way after the reflection.
External mirrors work poorly. I purchased one for my Q-7; after a few uses, I could hardly wait for the glue to give out, because it did work so poorly.
Closed Thread