Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #346
Veteran Member

>PHEWW!< All caught up. And I read every page since I last saw this thread, (page 6), so I feel justified in making a gratuitous raffle post.

Glad to see this thread has tackled new grounds re:K-New.................................................................................................................../s

RE:Gorilla Glue - I assume it has been learned that GG expands as it cures, thus is not well suited for applications where spreading might
glue something undesired. I call GG the 'Gotcha Glue'.

Obligatory /s - Is the forum still on sensitivity alert thus requiring the use of /s?

11-13-2019, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Your stubborn optimism is truly awe inspiring. I particularly like your stance that evidence based on a photo is stronger than evidence
based on first hand inspection of the camera.

I'm on the fence here in regards to a flippy screen. Not having one hasn't hampered me as far as I'm aware, but I can see its
potential use. If the K-New has a flippy screen, I imagine I might use it. Then again, I once had a smart phone with a slide out
keypad. I thought it would be very useful and assumed I would prefer it to typing on the screen. No dice. I eventually even
forgot the phone had that feature.
The fact that the pre-production model doesn't have a flip screen isn't in dispute. The fact that they said there would be at least one change to the production model is also not in dispute. The man who held the camera was told it was mostly done. You misrepresent my position.

What I find interesting is that folks ae willing to declare there is no flip screen without proof positive there won't be one. Having released the pre-production K-new, why won't the confirm it has no flip up back screen? Why would they leave doubt about that?

The flip up screen for macro's in nature if you shoot those is one of those "once you've used it you'll never go back" kinds of things. I used to use the optical right angle attachment, and you still have to kneel in the mud to use that. The Live View plus flip screen in Manual Focus mode is the optimum way to shoot macros in nature IMHO.

But then, not everyone does that.

Last edited by normhead; 11-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
11-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #348
Pentaxian

You will >always< miss out on something. As soon as you've plunked down your nickels you have outdated tech. Absolutely no
way to win, short of buying literally everything. Best you can do is pick the most advanced tech in your budget that has as many
features as you need. Added sanity bonus if you then look away from the rest of the tech out there, but I do understand the addiction
to stay immersed.
I understand the drive, but as the recipient these days of what is known as a 'fixed income', I cannot be governed by it. Unless Adam gifts me with one of these cameras next month, I will not be getting one - I am guided by a private rule that a camera has to last me 40 months if it can possibly make it; since my KP is 11 months old right now, I plan to use it for at least three more years ..... possibly the rest of my life {I turn 72 next month}. I have another 'rule', that I spend no more than $700 on a camera for myself; I was just thinking about how much I could stretch that amount on the basis of inflation, when last Black Friday the price of the KP came down to $700, and I purchased it before they changed their mind.

So, in one sense this doesn't affect me, but I have emoted with those who have been looking forward to the "K-3ii replacement" for so long that I do hope Pentax does it right.
11-13-2019, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You are looking at the K-new image, some of us (me included) have seen the camera itself. Its screen is fixed.
Yep.
Here's a shot i took of it.
Lightning conditions were awfull ; but here are a few observations :

- no prominence whatsoever of the rear screen (again, check on KP...)
- no more "specific shooting mode" selection wheel : replaced by the "S.Fn" button, that will allow a probably modifiable sequence of functions to adjust "blindly" but with most of the infos in the viewfinder (my deduction)
- enlarged viewfinder's eyecup (about 3-5mm wider than the K-3/II one) : it could be correlated with some enlarged prism magnification ; and/or with larger hybrid oled electronic internal screen (?)

Last edited by Zygonyx; 11-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
11-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The fact that the pre-production model doesn't have flip screen isn't in dispute. The fact that they said there would be at least one change to the production model is also not in dispute. You misrepresent my position.
Norm, If I said "You look great in that sweater" would you come back and ask, "And I don't look great without it?"?

I truly meant what I said as a compliment, not a slight about your fixed screen denial.

It's early days yet. Personally, I'm expecting a fixed screen but will be delighted if proven otherwise.
11-13-2019, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #351
Pentaxian

Norm, If I said "You look great in that sweater" would you come back and ask, "And I don't look great without it?"?

I truly meant what I said as a compliment, not a slight about your fixed screen denial.

It's early days yet. Personally, I'm expecting a fixed screen but will be delighted if proven otherwise.
If you said Norm you look great in that sweater... I'd probably just blush. I don't get a lot of compliments.
Unfortunately, it's still a deal breaker for me. I've been shooting macro with the K-1 because it has the flip up screen, which pretty much breaks my heart because they'd be better taken with a higher density APS-c 24MP or greater pixel camera.

So my reasons for keeping an open mind are little more critical.

And I'm not going to say uncle until they've pinned me to the mat.
No ray of hope is too slender.
To me, it makes no sense that they would have this type of screen on every camera since the K-70, but skip the APS_c flagship with it. That would certainly be a WTF? moment.

The only thing that would make sense would be an APS_c D500 type action camera with 12 FPS, a 250 shot buffer, and Canikon quality tracking and eye AF, so essentially all upgrades compatible with action, not macro. Who knows, maybe I'm the only one in the world that wants optimal macro capability on their APS_c action camera. But, I have to say, if they've gone that route, it's going to cost them some of my money.

Last edited by normhead; 11-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.
11-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yep.

- no more "specific shooting mode" selection wheel : replaced by the "S.Fn" button, that will allow a probably modifiable sequence of functions to adjust "blindly" but with most of the infos in the viewfinder (my deduction)
- enlarged viewfinder's eyecup (about 3-5mm wider than the K-3/II one) : it could be correlated with some enlarged prism magnification ; and/or with larger hybrid oled electronic internal screen (?)
That looks like it's going to be one serious camera.

11-13-2019, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
That looks like it's going to be one serious camera.
I'd rather have a camera that could occasionally crack a joke.
11-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #354
Pentaxian

^ Yes. Gotta have a sense of humor.
11-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #355
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Yes. Gotta have a sense of humor.
Maybe that is what the unmarked button does, pops up a Canon or Nikon joke of the day onscreen
11-13-2019, 02:29 PM - 3 Likes   #356
Pentaxian

After 6 years, it should have every friggin thing ever invented on it.

Last edited by normhead; 11-21-2019 at 12:44 PM.
11-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #357
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I think that is going to be the biggest question for the existing k3 user base...what is going to be so compelling to make the upgrade necessary.
This is a good question (without sifting through this thread). I am a k3 (i) user, and I've so far refrained from a K1 (i or ii) because I am an amateur comfortable in ASP-C and what I get from the K-3. That said, the biggest feature I could see is a significantly improved auto-focus situation (points, speed, reliability). I also wouldn't mind a better buffer and fps, but that isn't as critical for me. There are little features I'd like, like GPS or wireless, but if those were the only features, I'd save up and plan for FF anyway.

I'm actually hoping my K-3 lives on for a while anyway. I doubt I'll jump on an early bandwagon for the new APS-C. Even if it never came out, I still have a perfectly functional K-5, which I still enjoyed most of all my Pentax's.
11-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #358
Pentaxian

After 6 years, it should have very friggin thing ever invented on it.
7 years :P
11-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yep.

Maybe that big top LCD takes the place of a flippy screen...

Probably not, but I’ve often thought a radical camera body design would include a horizontal LCD screen. After all, we had such things in the past (LX, 6x7 etc): it’s just that they were optical, not electronic.
11-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #360
Pentaxian

After 6 years, it should have very friggin thing ever invented on it.
The K-3 was announced in October 2013 and the K-3ii in April 2015.
Apparently you are counting the K-3 ..... do you have a reason for not considering the K-3ii?
Closed Thread