Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-3 was announced in October 2013 and the K-3ii in April 2015.
Apparently you are counting the K-3 ..... do you have a reason for not considering the K-3ii?
K3 II is not countable, because it's a just minor upgrade over K3 I,

--
and even worse - K3 II have not flash unit. So, it was actually a downgrade for some
-
But that's just my opinion

11-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
--
and even worse - K3 II have not flash unit. So, it was actually a downgrade for some
-
But that's just my opinion
It does depend on who you talk to.
I remember users not willing to consider the K-3ii because it did have flash - now there are some who say they won't consider its replacement because they have gotten so used to the GPS.
As far as I know, there isn't room for both.

Personally, I have never used flash on my KP - because its graceful high ISO setting allows me to use ambient light - and only external on my K-30 and Q-7.
I consider flash to be one of those amateur-oriented features used to tell us something important is happening, even though the amateur doesn't have enough power to reach it, but that is just me. since you disagree.
11-13-2019, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #363
Pentaxian

It does depend on who you talk to.
I remember users not willing to consider the K-3ii because it did have flash - now there are some who say they won't consider its replacement because they have gotten so used to the GPS.
As far as I know, there isn't room for both.

Personally, I have never used flash on my KP - because its graceful high ISO setting allows me to use ambient light - and only external on my K-30 and Q-7.
I consider flash to be one of those amateur-oriented features used to tell us something important is happening, even though the amateur doesn't have enough power to reach it, but that is just me. since you disagree.

in photography terms, flash is far more usefull unit, I think majority of users can agree on that point....

--
I was nevere ever neded GPS - while flash is need...

I use it numerous times, just to optically triger another slave flash unit. - or when I wanted to enlight poor light situation.
--
This photo here is with pop up flash.and K-3 .. Not much PP here, but you can clearly se, how flash pop up her eyes, and not harsh ruined the atmosphere, which remains intact, and actually improved - because she is standing in shadow, while sun is lightning her other side of body and the hair.
--
It was intent use of flash - where I just wanted it to be this way. I wanted that sun glow in hair, but also wanted the light on her face.
--
I think it's a good example why the flash is useful - when you know how to well use it.
--
It's a criple pop up flash, but as you can see - well used here.

--
f 4.5 ISO 100 Shutter speed 1/90 sec

Last edited by panonski; 11-13-2019 at 04:29 PM.
11-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #364
Veteran Member

I'll disagree with that. While it may not have been different enough to merit an entirely new name, it is a significant upgrade from the K-3.
The GPS, Astrotracer and Super Resolution features are all major upgrades IMO. And the decision to go GPS in place of the of the flash is
also a significant change.

Whatever the case, the K-New is the successor APS-C flagship. The K-3 II is the most immediate prior APS-C flagship. So, it will actually
be 5 years assuming the K-New is released 2020.

11-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
So, it will actually
be 5 years assuming the K-New is released 2020.
5 yrs is also to much for get little better Af algorhytm and litle more AF focus points and maybe slight more ISo and DR capabilities ?
--
To me - from photography perspective - there is very little to want over my existing K3 and KP.

--
In fact I very like KP. - And I think it's gone be very much loved when K III come out, as far as I can see now with some speculation premodel
11-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #366
Pentaxian

in photography terms, flash is far more usefull unit, I think majority of users can agree on that point....

--
I was nevere ever neded GPS - while flash is need...

I use it numerous times, just to optically triger another slave flash unit. - or when I wanted to enlight poor light situation.
--
This photo here is with pop up flash.and K-3 .. Not much PP here, but you can clearly se, how flash pop up her eyes, and not harsh ruined the atmosphere, which remains intact, and actually improved - because she is standing in shadow, while sun is lightning her other side of body and the hair.
--
It was intent use of flash - where I just wanted it to be this way. I wanted that sun glow in hair, but also wanted the light on her face.
--
I think it's a good example why the flash is useful - when you know how to well use it.
--
It's a criple pop up flash, but as you can see - well used here.

--
f 4.5 ISO 100 Shutter speed 1/90 sec
This photo tells me very little since I don't have a version without flash. I don't know whether "PP" could have brought her face out and I don't know whether the over-exposure of her hair is due to the sun or the flash.
11-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #367
Pentaxian

This photo tells me very little since I don't have a version without flash. I don't know whether "PP" could have brought her face out and I don't know whether the over-exposure of her hair is due to the sun or the flash.
I have not the ver without flash, so you can only guess.

--
I hope you have a good eye to see . the possible version without inlight .

Cheers

11-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #368
Pentaxian

I have not the ver without flash, so you can only guess.

I hope you have a good eye to see . the possible version without inlight .

Cheers
This example was about your work - not mine.

I often photograph in large places where the “Law of Squares” works against us very quickly, or in places / at times where flash is not allowed / ineffective {again because of the “Law of Squares”}. In my cases, I have found that using ambient light, which is much more doable because of Pentax engineering, is usually a good step towards a good photo.
11-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #369
Veteran Member

5 yrs is also to much for get little better Af algorhytm and litle more AF focus points and maybe slight more ISo and DR capabilities ?
--
To me - from photography perspective - there is very little to want over my existing K3 and KP.

--
In fact I very like KP. - And I think it's gone be very much loved when K III come out, as far as I can see now with some speculation premodel
Kinda early to make that call, eh? We haven't seen actual specs. Heck, what if the K-New makes toast?

I fully anticipate the K-New will be significantly more evolved than the K-3. The KP has some newer tech, but it would be reasonable to
assume much/most of that tech will carry forward into the K-New, with the addition of all those things that are missing from the KP,
(dual card slots, bigger battery, etc). The only thing obviously lacking is a built in flash. If that's your deal breaker, fair enough, but
I do think you underestimate how much more advanced this new camera will be relative to the K-3. (FWIW, I own a K-3).

Sounds like the KP is your ideal solution, especially if the flash and an articulated screen are that critical for you. Personally,
I love everything about the KP but I haven't purchased it because it lacks dual card slots and takes a smaller battery.
11-13-2019, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #370
Pentaxian

Personally,
I love everything about the KP but I haven't purchased it because it lacks dual card slots and takes a smaller battery.
I was also afraid of 1 card slot, and also - lower battery capabilities.

--
Also I was afraid of small buffer

--------------------------------------
But

in my practice - I was never used 2 card slots with k3 - so - there is no change in KP for me...

---
In practice I tested the battery - and you can easily make 500 shots - even more
--
Check my thread/post here

battery life for Pentax KP - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Buffer - also no problem.
--
I have no such high demands - to shoot sports in RAW mode, and with 10 -15 pics in row.
--
That's silly and unnecceary for me, because I know how things can be done, with JPG and less pictures.... Shooting bursts with KP is not significantly slower - and I can do the job done. .
I discover the KP was excellent choice - specially in terms - Pentax development - because I wanted spare body - and knowingly Pentax lazynes - I decide to get KP, and not wait anything else.

-
Now, when I see - this "spectacular" K III - even more delayed for next year -
do you think tje KP was good choice ?
--
I think it was.
11-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kinda early to make that call, eh? We haven't seen actual specs. Heck, what if the K-New makes toast?

I fully anticipate the K-New will be significantly more evolved than the K-3. The KP has some newer tech, but it would be reasonable to
assume much/most of that tech will carry forward into the K-New, with the addition of all those things that are missing from the KP,
(dual card slots, bigger battery, etc). The only thing obviously lacking is a built in flash. If that's your deal breaker, fair enough, but
I do think you underestimate how much more advanced this new camera will be relative to the K-3. (FWIW, I own a K-3).

Sounds like the KP is your ideal solution, especially if the flash and an articulated screen are that critical for you. Personally,
I have the KP and the K3 and the battery on the KP is a pain, but it is eminently manageable the two card slot thing is something I haven’t missed. I have it on the K3 but my first slot has never failed and I don’t use the jpegs. The improvements in it, af and iso management are wonderful, as is the pixel shift and will hopefully be carried forward and possibly improved upon, but the KP is nearly three years old so it would be safe to assume there will be other advancements considered as an option. Presumably the dual card slots and larger battery will be there too. My KP and K3 have different roles. I am doing a single in with a Pentax-M 135mm and I find I can’t fine tune the diopter sufficiently as it is the older style, so, my K3 becomes the go to body. Also the K3 is for me more comfortable when coupled with larger lenses. The KP on the other hand is fabulous with limited primes and AF zooms (slight cross over) so, when I am travelling light or street shooting it is the KP all the way. I presume the K new will be a fabulous K3ii upgrade when it comes and we should be excited. If the upward trend continues, the iq on the K new should be incredible. However, the K3 when you hit the spot is stellar, as is the K5, and the K30. Unless my K3 dies or I Winn the lottery I won’t begetting one, but that doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy it vicariously through you lot I hope you are saving your money
11-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #372
Veteran Member

I was also afraid of 1 card slot, and also - lower battery capabilities.
in my practice - I was never used 2 card slots with k3 - so - there is no change in KP for me...

---
In practice I tested the battery - and you can easily make 500 shots - even more
-
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have the KP and the K3 and the battery on the KP is a pain, but it is eminently manageable the two card slot thing is something I haven’t missed. I have it on the K3 but my first slot has never failed and I don’t use the jpegs.
Appreciate both your feedback. I rarely have need for dual card slots but I've gotten very used to having that feature. I could live without it if
pressed. I can say I've had a card fail and thus the back up card was a lifesaver, but that's only ever happened once to me.

As for the battery, I've been doing a lot of product style photography the past two years. Camera on tripod, Live View continually on, hundreds
of shots at a time. I have one battery in the camera, one charged backup and one in the charger. And yet it still feels like I'm continually
changing battery. Realistically I change the battery once, maybe twice over the course of a full day of hundreds of shots. It is potentially
manageable with a smaller battery but nonetheless I have no desire to change batteries even more frequently than I already do.

If for some reason the K-New is released and it just doesn't measure up I will most certainly get a KP. Not sure what could possibly
come up short, perhaps no toast function For the moment, I've been waiting too long to not wait and see and my K-3 is still
doing just fine.
11-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #373
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the K-new has better 3d tracking and a deeper buffer, perhaps more action oriented ergonomics, it will be a perfect companion for the KP. It doesn't necessarily have to be a replacement.
11-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #374
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd rather have a camera that could occasionally crack a joke.
I dunno... As long as it doesn't get fresh or be a wise camera I'd be ok with it. I like a good joke but when I need the camera to work, I don't need it to shut down as a joke.
11-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #375
Pentaxian

Do you believe that the K-1ii "is not countable, because it's just minor upgrade over" K-1??
Closed Thread