Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 06:23 AM - 8 Likes   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
Perhaps..., but those of us that prefer to have a "fixed" screen will be happy
Respectfully, and without wanting to start a flame war, I have a hard time understanding how one can "prefer" less features. To be clear, when discussing moving screens I think about the K-1's implementation. I miss it every time I use a camera which lacks it.

11-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #482
Pentaxian

Those revamps are nice. i like the feel of updated exterior, the look etc. I had a chance to compare it to older versions- and 35/2 really got new life with that upgraded coatings(and I'm quite sure used glass formula itself was also altered, between versions even if its not stated officialy), of course it is in my subjective opinion. If there is such treatment for FA50/1.4, I will get one the day It hit the shelves in stores. Such move for DA35/50 new production batches would also make sense probably.
11-19-2019, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Respectfully, and without wanting to start a flame war, I have a hard time understanding how one can "prefer" less features. To be clear, when discussing moving screens I think about the K-1's implementation. I miss it every time I use a camera which lacks it.
For example, there is video. I sometimes accidentally set my camera in to video, and take a video when I meant to take a more precise still photo - I know that I haven't heard a 'click', but it still takes me a few seconds to realize that I am still taking a video. I know that there are some here who prefer to have video available, but I would prefer that it not be available, because I have never taken video on purpose.
11-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For example, there is video. I sometimes accidentally set my camera in to video, and take a video when I meant to take a more precise still photo - I know that I haven't heard a 'click', but it still takes me a few seconds to realize that I am still taking a video. I know that there are some here who prefer to have video available, but I would prefer that it not be available, because I have never taken video on purpose.
Agreed, that is kinda a thing I would personally have changed in KP desig and any other camera that have it that way. Mode selection lever is made in order "photo/LV/video", if there was an option to switch the order, or to program this lever function I would make it "Video/LV/Photo". Maybe its my own ergonomics belief, but I would like to have most used feature on the last selectable position of any dial/selection lever. Such as it is made in AK-47- SAFE/AUTO/SINGLE selective fire lever. It was made that way so one can't actually switch it to auto in stress or by mistake by toggling it all way down.

11-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would prefer that it not be available, because I have never taken video on purpose.
Me too - I can't help wondering if Ricoh wouldn't be better off taking th reviewer flak for having no video rather than for having perfunctory video
11-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #486
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It is surprising that the GRiii, a camera of a class supposedly eradicated in The Great Smartphone Debacle (tm), is lifting sales so much.
The gr is a camera that fits one use case *very* well. There are a lot of complaints about the spec race floating about. Photographers asking for innovation/honing in handling and workflow. The gr is great in this regard but so is Pentax DSLR if they focus down the gear even more making them more specific. The KP is a good first step and the lack of flippy screen a good sign for the knew.
11-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Agreed, that is kinda a thing I would personally have changed in KP desig and any other camera that have it that way. Mode selection lever is made in order "photo/LV/video", if there was an option to switch the order, or to program this lever function I would make it "Video/LV/Photo". Maybe its my own ergonomics belief, but I would like to have most used feature on the last selectable position of any dial/selection lever. Such as it is made in AK-47- SAFE/AUTO/SINGLE selective fire lever. It was made that way so one can't actually switch it to auto in stress or by mistake by toggling it all way down.
Maybe you mean it should be LV/Video/Photo? Video in the middle, so you flick past it. Or at the end/with more force required to move the lever.
I'm happy: on the K-1 (photo/video lever) and K-7 (video is a Mode on the respective dial) it's basically impossible to turn the camera to video mode by mistake. And even if you do, the noise is distinctive I think.

11-19-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #488

If it doesnt record 4k 60p h265 10bit 420 (422 extermal) in log and at least 400mb/s, Im jumping to Fuji to run n gun camera. And will sell all the glass. Need a second camera to my FS5, capable to make timelapse and still photo.
11-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is trivial to fix. The K-1 makes it hard to change into video on purpose, it seems very much impossible to do so accidentally. The K-new or KP... weeeeeeell not so much. Canon's implementation of LV/Video/OVF is also a headscratcher.
Another solution would be to introduce "locks" from the software. Just let us turn off the features we don't want. Since this is doable already for the raw/JPEG button, it should be possible to set the unwanted stuff to be "grayed out". As for the fixed screen advocates... Dunno. Electromagnetic lock? An extra frame that secures the screen in place and adds some extra sturdiness? Not using the screen?

Every day I'm more convinced that the K-1 platform needs no further improvement* beyond some liposuction -if at all possible-, and innards-related** stuff. The control layout and shape are absolutely on point. The moon-lander screen is probably the best implementation of the technology for my needs (a bit too large and heavy perhaps, but oh well). The handling is superb.

*I lie: please let me flip the green button with the AF button. I KEEP EXPOSING WHEN I WANT TO FOCUS .

**AF, sensor when it's needed to get into that sweet megapixel race, processing power, more fps, the works.

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-19-2019 at 08:26 AM.
11-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #490
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Maybe you mean it should be LV/Video/Photo? Video in the middle, so you flick past it. Or at the end/with more force required to move the lever.
I'm happy: on the K-1 (photo/video lever) and K-7 (video is a Mode on the respective dial) it's basically impossible to turn the camera to video mode by mistake. And even if you do, the noise is distinctive I think.
True, that order would also be a good solution if we consider any three steps mode dial in camera. I use K-1II so its not really problem for me because of LV button being placed on other side of camera. Also lever design is very smart, one have to pull it back to switch mode to video, switching it by mistake when reaching to anything other on the top plate is even less probable. With KP(and I love that little DSLR ergonomics with small grip and limiteds) video mode position feels very weird placed on the dial.
11-19-2019, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Me too - I can't help wondering if Ricoh wouldn't be better off taking th reviewer flak for having no video rather than for having perfunctory video
I actually like having video on the K1.

I keep my expectations modest, but a telephoto lens on the K1 at 1080 looks better than my phone at 4K...

-Eric
11-19-2019, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have the silver one and it is stunning
This is with my Yashika Auto Yashinon 55mm on board
I like the silver KP so much, I have two
11-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #493
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
If it doesnt record 4k 60p h265 10bit 420 (422 extermal) in log and at least 400mb/s, Im jumping to Fuji to run n gun camera. And will sell all the glass. Need a second camera to my FS5, capable to make timelapse and still photo.
Enjoy spending a lot of money with Fuji! Come visit us to let us know how much you end up spending. As Pentax has never seemed to care much about video, I suspect you will be selling off all your Pentax sometime next year, so, do you have a 150-450 you will be selling? let me know!

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 12:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

I keep my expectations modest, but a telephoto lens on the K1 at 1080 looks better than my phone at 4K...

-Eric
I haven't even attempted a few seconds of video on my K-1. Maybe I will try it with one of my Par focal zooms to see how loud the PZ function is!
11-19-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Enjoy spending a lot of money with Fuji! Come visit us to let us know how much you end up spending. As Pentax has never seemed to care much about video, I suspect you will be selling off all your Pentax sometime next year, so, do you have a 150-450 you will be selling? let me know!

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 12:16 ----------

I haven't even attempted a few seconds of video on my K-1. Maybe I will try it with one of my Par focal zooms to see how loud the PZ function is!
If I had a dollar for every time someone bought a "field camera" and then complained it didn't do video to their spec. It's so lame.

Also for the number of times the best advice is "Buy the camera that does what you want. Don't buy something you don't want and expect the camera maker to change their focus for you."

Some people make really poor decisions, and then we get long posts about how the camera isn't right for them. They don't matter. If the camera is right for me, their problems are their problems, not mine. I didn't make any poor decisions.
11-19-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #495
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

Maybe I should try some day - there are very few things I want to video though - I hardly use it on my phone even!
Closed Thread