Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #496
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If video is your need, just go buy what fits your requirements. Don’t keep looking to Ricoh to turn Pentax into a commercial class video machine - not going to happen, thats been obvious since the K3. Kind of like dumping on medium or large format gear because they don’t do proper 4 or 8k video.

11-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #497
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
If video is your need, just go buy what fits your requirements. Don’t keep looking to Ricoh to turn Pentax into a commercial class video machine - not going to happen, thats been obvious since the K3. Kind of like dumping on medium or large format gear because they don’t do proper 4 or 8k video.
6 years of whining and complaining we've had to put up with.
11-19-2019, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mini Cooper is fun car for city driving. Don’t complain it doesn’t haul 4x8 plywood.
11-19-2019, 10:45 AM - 4 Likes   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Mini Cooper is fun car for city driving. Don’t complain it doesn’t haul 4x8 plywood.
I never bought a Porsch, no factory roof racks for your canoe.

11-19-2019, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #500
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Respectfully, and without wanting to start a flame war, I have a hard time understanding how one can "prefer" less features. To be clear, when discussing moving screens I think about the K-1's implementation. I miss it every time I use a camera which lacks it.
Personally, I agree with you. I know that I want an articulating screen for the way I like to take pictures. But I also know that I am NOT the intended customer for this camera.

However, I do understand the "fixed screen" point of view:

Some people don't want a camera that has "one more thing that can break."

Some people don't want to pay one more penny for a feature they won't use.

Some people don't want a camera that is any thicker or heavier than absolutely required.

If Ricoh has selected a fixed screen design, it may be because they think the number of target customers wanting simple/robust, less-cost, and less bulk outweigh the number wanting an articulating screen.
11-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #501
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax video discussion are more about the spec comparison than the visual appearance of video recordings. Of course, if I compare the spec sheets Pentax video is lower in specifications. Now if I compare recorded videos between Pentax and others, I am not sure how many people can tell the difference. It's always confusing when evaluating video recording capability without saying if the comparison is about the specs or if the comparison if about perceived video quality. Personnaly, I don't care if the video bit rate is 500Mbps or 100Mbps, if people can't tell the difference in visual quality I actually prefer the 100Mbps streaming rate because it mean smaller files size of my video records. I'm intrigued by people automatically assuming that higher video bit rate is better, while I don't want to have to deal with massive video files that make no difference in perceived quality. Seriously, the highest bit rate specs on video can produced insane file sized, such that one need a computer memory upgrade just to deal with it. In additional to that, how meaningful of 400Mbps when the video end-up broadcasted over a <20Mbps internet connection? Let say the video quality at 400Mbps is better but it is systematically downsampled by the graphic card or connection to accomodate available bandwidth, all the addtional quality of the higher bit rate is lost before display.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-19-2019 at 11:45 AM.
11-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Personally, I agree with you. I know that I want an articulating screen for the way I like to take pictures. But I also know that I am NOT the intended customer for this camera.

However, I do understand the "fixed screen" point of view:

Some people don't want a camera that has "one more thing that can break."

Some people don't want to pay one more penny for a feature they won't use.

Some people don't want a camera that is any thicker or heavier than absolutely required.

If Ricoh has selected a fixed screen design, it may be because they think the number of target customers wanting simple/robust, less-cost, and less bulk outweigh the number wanting an articulating screen.
If , if, if....

11-19-2019, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #503
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If , if, if....
Exactly! Welcome to the world of making engineering trade-offs decisions for crabby consumers!

At least no one has insisted that Ricoh can just upgrade the firmware to create an articulating screen!
11-19-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #504
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I could not agree more, well said.

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 07:05 PM ----------

OK point of order here sir. I have had a glass shower screen (in box); many bags of garden rubbish; and two cocker spaniels in my MINI (not at the same time )......but i get your point
11-19-2019, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I could not agree more, well said.

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 07:05 PM ----------

OK point of order here sir. I have had a glass shower screen (in box); many bags of garden rubbish; and two cocker spaniels in my MINI (not at the same time )......but i get your point
But everything will fall out the back because most of the ones up here start rusting through near the passenger (Driver's side in your case,) rear tail light from the salt on the roads here.

I have been shopping for a second car as a beater but they have to pass inspection and holes are a no no, and all the cheaper Minis need sensors, bearings and rust repair before they are safe to drive and will pass inspection.
11-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #506
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
If it doesnt record 4k 60p h265 10bit 420 (422 extermal) in log and at least 400mb/s, Im jumping to Fuji to run n gun camera. And will sell all the glass. Need a second camera to my FS5, capable to make timelapse and still photo.

The likelihood of Ricoh providing what you want is questionable and theres no information on the K-2020's capability at this point in time.Just go buy the X-T3 or wait for the X-H2(if it ever comes?).
11-19-2019, 12:18 PM - 7 Likes   #507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I never bought a Porsche, no factory roof racks for your canoe.
11-19-2019, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Say it ain't so!!!
11-19-2019, 12:36 PM - 3 Likes   #509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
At least no one has insisted that Ricoh can just upgrade the firmware to create an articulating screen!
There's quite a bit of firmware changes to have the read LCD pulled in & out with the active hydraulic cylinders, by moving the joystick with one finger.
11-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I have a cousin who had a Mini back in the 70's, and there goes a story that he once drove a whole football team (11 guys) in it. I think someone exaggerated a bit, though. The original Mini really is small. The modern day 'Mini' is huge compared to that one!
Closed Thread