Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 05:37 AM   #781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it's a puzzle. When we see the final iteration though, we'll think 'of course - why didn't I think of that before!'.

12-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Absolutely, in that regard I am also surprised (and hope for the hybrid VF). It's weird to have a dial there.
12-09-2019, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #783

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
^ That's odd, I was told the contrary during the 100th anniversary meeting in Paris: working sample, functional if a bit rough on the edges because of preliminary firmware.
No needs to be worry, when it comes, it comes I think,
and I will participate CP+2020 in Yokohama, just wait my report I will bring useful information
12-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #784
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
No needs to be worry, when it comes, it comes I think,
and I will participate CP+2020 in Yokohama, just wait my report I will bring useful information
I can't wait.

12-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #785
Veteran Member

The inside and firmware could be unfinished otherwise this would on sales as of now but the body it's the final design with final mold. This is still a prototype and in our terminlogy a preproduction sample.

Peoples who expect that the LV screen would be articulated will be very disapointed.
12-09-2019, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #786

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Seems a waste of a dial to only put three things on it right next to each other... a three-position slider would have saved space...
I was hoping the rest of the dial's functionality was simply hidden or not entirely determined, hence only having three icons...

Ah, well.

-Eric
The more I look at that, the more I think that it is a very good design. Pentax know how to make their products easy to use.

There is mirrorless hype right now.
What Pentax is missing from mirrorless (in hardware):
- EVF
- short flange focal distance

Short flange focal distance means different mount, new lenses, hard to build converter.
That would anger customers. So it would be a very bold move with stagnating photo market.

EVF - is had for some and a must for the others, but what we need is a hybrid viewfinder., so we can use EVF/OVF depending of the need to do so.
Not EVF vs OVF but EVF or OVF when needed. Best of both worlds.

Now look at that wheel:
  • Normal photography - OVF.
  • Live view - EVF or screen.
  • Film mode - EVF or screen.
No need to add anything more to the wheel. It makes sense.
Easier to use that just a slider (with the gloves).

For me it would make perfect sense to be the wheel that we will use with hybrid viewfinder.
I just hope I'm not wrong.
12-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #787

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I can't wait.
me too, that's why I bought Z7

12-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #788
Pentaxian

I can't wait to hear your report, I mean.
I can still wait for the next K-1 and future lenses... assuming it won't be decades.
12-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Seems a waste of a dial to only put three things on it right next to each other... a three-position slider would have saved space...
I was hoping the rest of the dial's functionality was simply hidden or not entirely determined, hence only having three icons...

Ah, well.

-Eric
Heh - sure, there might be a function or two not printed on that dial so they will stay a secret. What do you think they might be? Maybe something to do with the unlabeled button on the upper left and the (apparent) sensor below the viewfinder exit pupil?
12-09-2019, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #790
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heh - sure, there might be a function or two not printed on that dial so they will stay a secret. What do you think they might be? Maybe something to do with the unlabeled button on the upper left and the (apparent) sensor below the viewfinder exit pupil?
Based on my current camera*, it will allow unlabeled access to 1/1000 shutter speed if nothing else

-Eric

*H1a

Last edited by TwoUptons; 12-09-2019 at 04:50 PM.
12-10-2019, 03:32 AM   #791
Veteran Member

I'm in Sapporo 100 anniversary meeting, and I asked almost what I want to know all
They tell me this can not be turned on because of that, it's a highly finished model but can not work actually.
Thank you KAren, I first thought it was visible from outside and was a bit lost !
12-10-2019, 07:19 AM - 3 Likes   #792
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Absolutely, in that regard I am also surprised (and hope for the hybrid VF). It's weird to have a dial there.
We could actually have these 5 functions altogether on the new "shooting assistance dial" :

- photo using OVF
- photo using HVF
- photo in LV using rear ACL
- film using rear ACL
- film using HVF

And Pentax would even more deserve it's brand name
12-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that you needed to leave "mothership" Pentax. At some point in the future I hope that the Pentax ecosystem is sufficiently fleshed out to lure you back.

In the mean time, thank you for your information dumps and we look forward to further information that you're able to share.
12-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #794

we have to wait. There are no new information.
12-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #795
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After PF shut down the last K-new-speculation-thread, I assumed that would be it. Paint me naive.
Closed Thread