Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #826
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The “K-3” shelf has already been empty for a long time, way too long. I got a KP eleven months ago, and am completely satisfied, but l am disappointed for those who are satisfied by neither the K-1ii nor the KP - not by any promises made by Pentax/Ricoh, but by the continually empty shelf.
Oh my goodness, some people are never satisfied. :P People should try shooting with 30 year old film cameras for a bit to get some perspective.

12-18-2019, 02:46 PM - 3 Likes   #827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Oh my goodness, some people are never satisfied. :P People should try shooting with 30 year old film cameras for a bit to get some perspective.
I think some people are more interested in buying new gear than they are in taking photo's.
12-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #828
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, between posting here, I've been using gimp to fix a few surface aberrations that resulted when I used the "Super Program" that I purchased in 1983 - that was over thirty years ago according to my calculations - but I still remember the pain when my only "APS-C" camera failed, and I was unsure what to do.
12-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #829
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Too easy. A mechanical metal film body with no metering at all. And I'm kind.

12-18-2019, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #830
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But that is what today’s smartphones have returned us to..a basic box with 1-3 fixed lenses. No real aperture, shutter speed, focus, or iso control and a flash that makes an AG-1 bulb look like the sun. If Kodak made a smartphone would they call it a Brownie?
12-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #831
Pentaxian

My interest was solely in its weight - it would not have to be turned on and/or functioning to ahow that aspect of it.
Kimio Tanaka had the opportunity to hold the camera. He has made no comment about its weight.
12-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #832
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It has been a long time since that was an adequate description of a Pentax film body; I had two of them - an "ME SE" first, and the metering of each was just fine.

12-18-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #833
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
But that is what today’s smartphones have returned us to..a basic box with 1-3 fixed lenses. No real aperture, shutter speed, focus, or iso control and a flash that makes an AG-1 bulb look like the sun. If Kodak made a smartphone would they call it a Brownie?
I don't know what kind of smart phone you have used. My iPhone 8 does have focus and exposure control - the Kodak box camera which I started with did lack these, but the modern smart phone is much much better.
12-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I'm not sure what smartphone you have either. my 4-5 generation old smartphone LG G4 (Single lens) had ISO, shutter speed, focus control and a pretty powerful color correct LED flash with varying output depending on the scene. My LG G5 (dual lens) added focus peaking. My current Huawei P20 Pro (triple lens) smartphone allows control of ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, Focus and offers optical, hybrid and digital zoom.

---------- Post added 12-18-19 at 06:51 PM ----------

I don't know what kind of smart phone you have used. My iPhone 8 does have focus and exposure control - the Kodak box camera which I started with did lack these, but the modern smart phone is much much better.
Not sure what generation Smartphone is being referenced either although it must be more recent as multi lenses were mentioned.
12-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #835
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note I used the word “real”. My 8plus does not have real aperture, shutter speed, iso, or distance control. There are lighting changes and you can select a focus point, but no distance scale and you can lighten or darken after the image is taken. Granted it is still a quantum step above the box cameras, instamatics, and simple point and shoots of the film era
12-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #836
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was not aware of the Huawei P20 Pro or P30 Pro full camera controls.. looks awesome. My bad over simplifying things.
12-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #837
Veteran Member

I've even managed a little out of focus blur (real, not a.i. manufactured) with the 50mm equivalent lens on the iPhone 11pro.
12-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah, I mostly been trying to shoot with an old 4x5 camera and some random mechanical cameras. Great fun. And you can get some good results.
12-18-2019, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #839
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ten more weeks.

yawn
12-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ten more weeks.
:yawn: