Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #1081
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should propably print images. Have done it couple of yes a go. None of the gigs that I have shot, has had need for printed images. Just for web. Funny. I did print some images taken with my K-3 and K-1 back at 2017. For A4 size there was no complaints for neither. Actually K-3 was in some Casse better, because I did not have good lenses for it. So edges where more smeary with K-1( which was actually why I got those new lenses)

That is not a factor what I Had at all for my decision of getting K-1 when I got it as early adoptor. Have been super happy ever since. But I have also investoi a lot of money because of that too. To get lenses for it. Could I see my self as owner of that K-new? Dunno yet. But I’m really having an eye on this new thing to see, where Pentax is heading with it’s cameras, because that tech will be adopted for new gen Pentax cameras.

01-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #1082
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
The flippy screen could be saved for the next iteration, K-NewII or K-Newer.
Ok see you in 2025!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, This is all speculation made by members here on this forum that the delay is due to the addition of a flip screen though?

I have difficulty accepting that. It seems pretty obtuse of a company with resources in both research and development to omit something as obvious as a flip screen, then have to retool their design after the fact to include it. Especially since this was a feature on previous bodies they've designed... including on the more recent higher end designs. So it isn't like they haven't made one of these before..
01-04-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #1083
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ok see you in 2025!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, This is all speculation made by members here on this forum that the delay is due to the addition of a flip screen though?

I have difficulty accepting that. It seems pretty obtuse of a company with resources in both research and development to omit something as obvious as a flip screen, then have to retool their design after the fact to include it. Especially since this was a feature on previous bodies they've designed... including on the more recent higher end designs. So it isn't like they haven't made one of these before..
You are entirely correct. So far our input has been entirely from photographs and from those who have seen or handled the touring prototypes. I am sure Pentax could hide a moveable LCD if they didn't see any reason to show it off; we also do not {as far as I am aware} know how Japanese photographers have responded to moveable LCDs, so we actually have limited knowledge of what the Pentax designers are thinking.
01-04-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #1084
Pentaxian

Ok see you in 2025!

(...)
...or later.

(...)

(...)
This is all speculation that:
  1. there will be a delay (the source is Kimio Tanaka first thinking that the camera would be available by next summer, then thinking that it wouldn't) and
  2. if there is indeed any delay (in comparison to internal programming, because no launch date has been announce yet), that it could be due to partly redesigning the camera to include a flip screen.

(...)

The only explanation (if... if...) is that they had first decided to go for a fixed screen, then changed their mind after getting the feedback from distributors and retailers (and possibly selected photographers) to whom the prototypes showcased in the framework of the 100th anniversary events have been presented.

01-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #1085
Pentaxian

I wonder why they wouldn't use a flippy screen in the first place? Cut costs? To make room for another feature? Doesn't make sense for flagship model.

Last edited by Tesla; 01-04-2020 at 06:44 PM.
01-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #1086
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...or later.

This is all speculation that:
  1. there will be a delay (the source is Kimio Tanaka first thinking that the camera would be available by next summer, then thinking that it wouldn't) and
  2. if there is indeed any delay (in comparison to internal programming, because no launch date has been announce yet), that it could be due to partly redesigning the camera to include a flip screen.

The only explanation (if... if...) is that they had first decided to go for a fixed screen, then changed their mind after getting the feedback from distributors and retailers (and possibly selected photographers) to whom the prototypes showcased in the framework of the 100th anniversary events have been presented.
Heck it could all come down to a particular components availability, perhaps the sensor itself. I recently saw mention of Sony having difficulty meeting all the orders they currently have and a "Pentax New" delay could make sense if it's truly using the new to the market 26.3 sensor the rumors were claiming.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-04-2020 at 01:19 PM.
01-04-2020, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #1087
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok see you in 2025!

Nothing has happened* to change anything. The development team is small and the budget allocated is tight, but they are working hard on the camera to make it perfect. They will release it when it is ready - and not before. Be patient.

* On very good authority.

01-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #1088
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nothing has happened* to change anything. The development team is small and the budget allocated is tight, but they are working hard on the camera to make it perfect. They will release it when it is ready - and not before. Be patient.

* On very good authority.

I'm not sure what constitutes 'very good authority'. However, If this is true, can we please collectively put this rumor to bed (that the camera is delayed due to addition of a flip screen)?
01-04-2020, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #1089

I think the comment of delay caused by redesign for a movable screen was made in jest.

For all we know Ricoh has two prototypes: one with a movable screen and one without and just chose for some reason to show off the one without.

A decision not to include a movable screen would most likely have been a compromise in order to keep the camera within a certain price range. However Ricoh's emphasis is mostly geared for the domestic (Japanese) market and as mentioned earlier do we even know what that market's preference is regarding movable screens?
01-04-2020, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1090
Pentaxian

I'm not sure what constitutes 'very good authority'. However, If this is true, can we please collectively put this rumor to bed (that the camera is delayed due to addition of a flip screen)?
As I have already commented, Karen-the-Star began this Thread dismaying reporting that the camera would be released later than we hoped - the guess was June. Now, we are responding to a rumor that the camera "might be delayed until June or so". 'Delayed' until June, when that is the probable date we already had???
01-04-2020, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1091
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think the comment of delay caused by redesign for a movable screen was made in jest.

For all we know Ricoh has two prototypes: one with a movable screen and one without and just chose for some reason to show off the one without.

A decision not to include a movable screen would most likely have been a compromise in order to keep the camera within a certain price range. However Ricoh's emphasis is mostly geared for the domestic (Japanese) market and as mentioned earlier do we even know what that market's preference is regarding movable screens?
The GR III has a touch screen instead of a flippy screen. I expect the K-? will have the same screen.
01-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #1092
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Heck it could all come down to a particular components availability, perhaps the sensor itself. I recently saw mention of Sony having difficulty meeting all the orders they currently have and a "Pentax New" delay could make sense if it's truly using the new to the market 26.3 sensor the rumors were claiming.
The Sony 26.3 mp sensor is used by Fujifilm in their X-T3, X-T30 and X-Pro3 cameras.
01-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #1093
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
(...)

(...)
For all we know three different copies of the K-New have been showcased at various 100th anniversary events, all with a fixed screen.
01-04-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #1094
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I wonder why they would remove the flippy screen in the first place? Cut costs? To make room for another feature? Doesn't make sense for flagship model.
What do you mean "remove"? As far as I know, the 'flagship APS-C' camera never has had a flippy screen.
01-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #1095
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I have already commented, Karen-the-Star began this Thread dismaying reporting that the camera would be released later than we hoped - the guess was June. Now, we are responding to a rumor that the camera "might be delayed until June or so". 'Delayed' until June, when that is the probable date we already had???
Both rumours emanate from Kimio Tanaka.

In November he thought and wrote in his blog that the camera should be available at the beginning of summer. On the 31st of December he twitted that the camera could be released later than that, after summer.
Closed Thread