Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #1126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Whatever we think or say about the flagship Pentax models, each subsequent Pentax model was for me the flagship Pentax model. Currently, my flagship is Pentax KP, because I have this type of Pentax currently. In conclusion: the flagship Pentax model is the one I currently have
So, if you currently had a K-70, it would be the "flagship" camera??? No, "flagship is what Pentax declares.

01-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #1127
Veteran Member

The effect he might be talking about is, that as Ricoh releases these cameras not all too quickly (I mean really new models, not just tiny updates like anything ii) there often is something newish in a lower modell which makes them partly better than high end models.

I think nobody will argue that the real flagship at the moment is the K1 ii, but in aps-c I am not quite sure. I consider the k3ii being way more professional than the kp, still the kp does have advantages.
01-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #1128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Whatever we think or say about the flagship Pentax models, each subsequent Pentax model was for me the flagship Pentax model. Currently, my flagship is Pentax KP, because I have this type of Pentax currently. In conclusion: the flagship Pentax model is the one I currently have
Your flagship is missing her fleet.
01-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #1129
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you have the full size sensor camera bodies

and the ASP-C sensor bodies

the latest ASP-C sensor body is the KP

but it lacks some things found in older ASP-C bodies while having some new features

what matters to you defines which is the Flagship

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

01-05-2020, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #1130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
The effect he might be talking about is, that as Ricoh releases these cameras not all too quickly (I mean really new models, not just tiny updates like anything ii) there often is something newish in a lower modell which makes them partly better than high end models.

I think nobody will argue that the real flagship at the moment is the K1 ii, but in aps-c I am not quite sure. I consider the k3ii being way more professional than the kp, still the kp does have advantages.
The reason for using the word 'flagship" is that it tends to imply certain things. Yes, the KP is a good camera in many ways - I talk incenssantly about its AF and high ISO ability, but it lacks the "flagship" qualities that people yearn for - things like a deep buffer, long battery life, at least 2 memory slots, and a top LCD. In AF and high ISO the KP is better than the K-3ii, but the K-3ii is still the "APS-C flagship" because it does have a deeper buffer, large battery, 2 memory slots, and a top LCD. Hopefully the "K-3ii replacement" will be a true flagship, but until it is announced, then released, people will just have to wait ..... the KP is not going to change its stripes and become a flagship!

Last edited by reh321; 01-05-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added memory slots to flagship list
01-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #1131
Pentaxian

The way I thought of the flagship model is the best model that is currently available. For APS-C that is the KP and for FF that is the K-1 II. I realize that the K-3 II may be a better camera than the KP, but it is discontinued. It's all Ricoh's fault!
01-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #1132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The GR III has a touch screen instead of a flippy screen. I expect the K-? will have the same screen.
Shirley you jest!

01-05-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #1133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
The way I thought of the flagship model is the best model that is currently available. For APS-C that is the KP and for FF that is the K-1 II. I realize that the K-3 II may be a better camera than the KP, but it is discontinued. It's all Ricoh's fault!
It is Ricoh's fault for running out of K-3ii units before another true flagship is available, but no matter how hard they try, the KP is not going to fit into what people expect of a flagship.
01-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #1134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The GR III has a touch screen instead of a flippy screen. I expect the K-? will have the same screen.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Shirley you jest!
boriscleto is correct; people commented early in release of photos that LCD of the "K-3ii replacement" resembled LCD of the GRRRR, which does not tilt, incidentally. Perhaps making a touch screen tilt runs into some issue that Ricoh hasn't found a way around, yet.
01-05-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #1135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KP is a mid-level enthusiast camera, not a flagship level camera. K-1 ll is the Pentax flagship camera.

The K-new prototypes recently shown all have a fixed screen.
The K-New supposedly has a touch screen based on the sensor just below the viewfinder. I wonder if a flippy screen would be a good fit with the touch screen?
01-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #1136
Pentaxian

The K-New supposedly has a touch screen based on the sensor just below the viewfinder. I wonder if a flippy screen would be a good fit with the touch screen?
If that was an issue, they could just disable the touch screen when the screen is flipped out. Is there any other reason that a fixed screen would be better?
01-05-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #1137
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One or the other and not both I wouldn't think. IMO a moving touchscreen would eventually become a loose moving screen with consistent tapping and pressing on it. Three years from now we'd be saying "What was Pentax thinking".
01-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #1138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The reason for using the word 'flagship" is that it tends to imply certain things. Yes, the KP is a good camera in many ways - I talk incenssantly about its AF and high ISO ability, but it lacks the "flagship" qualities that people yearn for - things like a deep buffer, long battery life, at least 2 memory slots, and a top LCD. In AF and high ISO the KP is better than the K-3ii, but the K-3ii is still the "APS-C flagship" because it does have a deeper buffer, large battery, 2 memory slots, and a top LCD. Hopefully the "K-3ii replacement" will be a true flagship, but until it is announced, then released, people will just have to wait ..... the KP is not going to change its stripes and become a flagship!
I personally aggree, but the k3 ii is officially out of production and Pentax themselves thought of the kp as a replacement. I decided to go for the k3-ii although the kp was already available at that time.
01-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #1139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
One or the other and not both I wouldn't think. IMO a moving touchscreen would eventually become a loose moving screen with consistent tapping and pressing on it. Three years from now we'd be saying "What was Pentax thinking".

Simply disable the touch part of the screen when the screen is flipped out. I don't see why it has to be an issue.
01-05-2020, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #1140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Other manufacturers seem to have found working solutions for this. Look at the Nikon D850 which is designed for rough daily use having both a touch and a movable screen.

If Pentax would release this camera, I would immidiatly go for it.
Closed Thread