Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #1171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As always with a Pentax camera, there will be one missing feature that will make the review community (and many members here) overlook sll the other features, whatever new technology there is and whatever improvements there are, and dismiss the camera as a failure before it even hits the streets.

I nominate the fixed screen for this role.
The camera will be great regardless of the mobility of the screen, but it's baffling that a high-end camera will have a fixed in 2020.

01-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #1172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The camera will be great regardless of the mobility of the screen, but it's baffling that a high-end camera will have a fixed in 2020.
I think the odd thing is that Pentax have implemented a movable screen on the FF model and the latest APC C - everything is already there, ready to be implemented and they have established an expectation for it to be there. Witness this discussion! To leave it out is a deliberate choice. I haven't heard of malfunctions or anything. So why? What do they have instead?

For all I care they can leave off touch screen and keep it fixed. But then give me an app to link to my smartphone!
01-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #1173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
For all I care they can leave off touch screen and keep it fixed. But then give me an app to link to my smartphone!
The app "Image Synch" already allows me to use WiFi to connect my iPhone to a recent Ricoh/Pentax camera {when I took photo below, my KP was in adjacent room and pointed 90 degrees from iPhone}.
Attached Images

01-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #1174
Pentaxian

I think the odd thing is that Pentax have implemented a movable screen on the FF model and the latest APC C - everything is already there, ready to be implemented and they have established an expectation for it to be there. Witness this discussion! To leave it out is a deliberate choice. I haven't heard of malfunctions or anything. So why? What do they have instead?

The app "Image Synch" also allows me to see on my phone photos which are in my camera's memory. Images #4 and #6 became a post here.
Tab, Indiana - PentaxForums.com

added: I have made very little use of the app - faster for me to take memory out of camera and attach directly to this computer - but you did say you wanted it.

Attached Images

01-05-2020, 03:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Touch screen technology is very cheap these days.

We build a product using touch screen too, just because the costs dont increase significantly.

---------- Post added 01-05-20 at 02:23 PM ----------

There is some truth in this. On the other hand, there are features that are barely used, kind of like toy stuff, and Pentax sometimes seems to focus on that too often.

The only added technology between k3ii and k10d i personally use (not considering improvements in components of course) is the electronical level in the viewfinder and sometimes liveview when doing makro.
I think the most important feature of Pentax cameras is that they take photos and I don't expect that to change with this new camera.
01-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #1176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The app "Image Synch" already allows me to use WiFi to connect my iPhone to a recent Ricoh/Pentax camera {when I took photo below, my KP was in adjacent room and pointed 90 degrees from iPhone}.
I have an K3II and haven't tried that app. I would need a flu card which have a poor rep and is not really available.

But, if they improved that app it would be a big plus for me.

---------- Post added 01-06-20 at 12:10 AM ----------

But yes, someone here showed me a guy using a Nikon app and I would love something similar. Now ... I wish I could find that video again.
01-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #1177
Pentaxian

I have an K3II and haven't tried that app. I would need a flu card which have a poor rep and is not really available.

But, if they improved that app it would be a big plus for me.
With the KP, you don't need anything - everything is built in - and I expect that "K-3ii replacement" would be a WiFi transmitter on its own, without anything added, also.

Attached Images

01-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #1178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As always with a Pentax camera, there will be one missing feature that will make the review community (and many members here) overlook sll the other features, whatever new technology there is and whatever improvements there are, and dismiss the camera as a failure before it even hits the streets.

I nominate the fixed screen for this role.
I'm not in favor of one or the other. I really don't see how the screen could hinge from the left side with all the plug in slots under the cover on that side but I can see them implementing it flipping up from the bottom, there seems to be plenty room above the screen for what ever is needed.
01-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #1179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'm not in favor of one or the other. I really don't see how the screen could hinge from the left side with all the plug in slots under the cover on that side but I can see them implementing it flipping up from the bottom, there seems to be plenty room above the screen for what ever is needed.
An up/down screen like the one in the KP would be the most practical and logical version I think. The moon-lander of the K-1 is awesome but it's also the one implementation that *will* make the camera thicker, so we can rule that one out.

Regarding the app: on my phone and with my K-1 it's hit or miss, but mostly miss. The connection drops all the time and transfer speed is ridiculously slow.
01-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #1180
Pentaxian

Ok, I found the app I want if Pentax wants my money. It is at about 4 min. into the video.

01-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #1181
Pentaxian

Regarding the app: on my phone and with my K-1 it's hit or miss, but mostly miss. The connection drops all the time and transfer speed is ridiculously slow.
It is a second-best to the flippy screen - and during the 30 or so minutes I had in on, the battery indicator on my KP went from "full battery green" to "half battery yellow", so it eats power. Hopefully, Ricoh is making progress on it if they want people to actually use the thing. If I didn't have a flippy screen, I can see putting the camera on a tripod and using from a short distance. A real outdoors-man, like @normheld, could put it that way and then relax in a hammock.
01-05-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #1182

Or one can use..

01-05-2020, 06:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is some truth in this. On the other hand, there are features that are barely used, kind of like toy stuff, and Pentax sometimes seems to focus on that too often.

The only added technology between k3ii and k10d i personally use (not considering improvements in components of course) is the electronical level in the viewfinder and sometimes liveview when doing makro.
You do understand how utterly self-centered that comment is, don’t you?
01-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #1184
Pentaxian

Then why did you purchase the K-3ii??? My KP is significantly better than my K-30; I still use the K-30 on occasion and are reminded of how much of a jump the KP was in useful technology.
01-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #1185
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not baffling at all. The k_new body shown is actually a version of k-5 body, that's why one of the top left button is without label, that button was already tbere on the k-5. If you look at the left shape of k-nww body it is identical to the k-5. So IMo the k-new body shown is a k-5 with some button re-layed out and fixed screen. A moving screen would imply lots of design changes from a k-5.
Closed Thread