Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #1366
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This goes back to an older thread from a few months ago regarding more real estate making for better quality images (it does), except now, the debate, for some reason centers around does more megapixels equate to a better image. All else being close to equal, it does.
If they are of the same image, perhaps - at least in the same 'image making' view of life which aims at "WOW" it does.

01-13-2020, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That's fine for snapshots, but....

It doesn't work if the shooting requires following one or more subjects and waiting for the perfect moment. So it doesn't work for sports, weddings, BIF, or wildlife photography.

It doesn't work if the shooting requires carefully framing/reframing a subject, checking for unintended objects, avoiding cut-off/clipped things, carefully balancing left-and-right, top-and-bottom, light-and-dark or examining at how each line in the scene crosses each edge of the frame. So it doesn't work for landscape or architectural photography.

A camera with an uncomfortable viewfinder is an uncomfortable camera. If all your friends said "jump off a cliff" or "buy a mirrorless camera", would you do it?
For architectural and landscape-type images, I lift the camera to my eye only after I have figured everything out - perspective, framing, unintended objects, etc. In that situation it does work. My wife always has reading material with her, because she knows that a "5 minute photo stop" is like the last five minutes of an American football game - it can stretch to 30 minutes.
01-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #1368
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
The K-1ii, KP, K-1, K-S2, MX-1 and K-01 were all officially announced before CP+, usually the week before the show starts.
A few days before CP+ were some "leaked" information often through the same websites. In the past it was like now, since expected products have been shown under glass already, although specification are unknown, could be leaked before CP+.
01-13-2020, 02:47 PM - 14 Likes   #1369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That's fine for snapshots, but...

A camera with an uncomfortable viewfinder is an uncomfortable camera. If all your friends said "jump off a cliff" or "buy a mirrorless camera", would you do it?
Isn’t jumping off a cliff with a mirrorless camera with a terrible viewfinder basically GoPro’s fundamental business model?

-Eric

01-13-2020, 03:56 PM - 4 Likes   #1370
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If they are of the same image, perhaps - at least in the same 'image making' view of life which aims at "WOW" it does.
Sure, 2mp, 50mp, it's all the same.

---------- Post added Jan 13th, 2020 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Isn’t jumping off a cliff with a mirrorless camera with a terrible viewfinder basically GoPro’s fundamental business model?

-Eric
You win the thread.
01-13-2020, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #1371
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is really hard for people who aren't bothered by EVFs to understand that there is a solid segment of the population who develops eye strain/headaches when they use them for any length of time. I don't know what it is. I use a computer screen all day long and it doesn't bother me. I can use live view without a problem. But stick my eye ball close to an EVF and within five minutes I am feeling eye strain. As a result, I tend to avoid those cameras.

And honestly, focus peaking in the viewfinder isn't that important if you are mainly shooting auto focus lenses. My experience, as well, is that focus peaking is overly optimistic when you are shooting wide aperture lenses and tends to look like more is in focus than really is. I suppose that is where you can zoom and adjust focus at 100 percent. Anyway, I like to have a clean viewfinder without a lot of cluttery display stop popping up and I would tend to turn all that stuff off if I had to use an EVF. If you've been shooting awhile you really don't need it and it distracts from the business of composing your images.
You already know I shoot both DSLR and mirrorless / SLT cameras with EVF. I'm one of the fortunate ones (not sure whether I'm in the majority or minority) that has no problem with EVFs, even older ones with lower resolution and/or lag (aside from the technical limitations, of course). But I totally get why, for someone who is sensitive to an EVF - for whatever reason, be it close viewing of a refreshing display, or motion lag, cameras using that technology aren't an attractive or perhaps even a practical option.

Regarding focus peaking with MF lenses, it's very useful once you get used to it, in my experience. Yes, it's overly optimistic, but you learn to find the mid-point where focus is most accurate - in much the same way as with an optical viewfinder, only easier to judge (for me, that is). It's also a useful indicator, believe it or not, for when AF has badly missed - a rare occurrence, but it happens. Going back to MF lenses, though, I find magnified view more useful and more consistently accurate than focus peaking, and it's one reason I use an EVF mirrorless camera with MF vintage lenses.

As for overlaid information, it has its uses, but I tend to keep it to a minimum. Real-time histogram is very useful in certain situations.

For all the uses I get from an EVF, I still far prefer the view through an optical viewfinder...
01-13-2020, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #1372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sure, 2mp, 50mp, it's all the same.
Now you are being silly. There is a large difference between them, but I am saying I get a relatively small difference between the 16mp my K-30 gives me and the 24mp I get from my KP - and as the number of mp increases from there I get less and less utility. If there is a cost to that less and less utility, and there is very much one in burst mode as shown the difference between "crop mode" and "native mode" on the K-1, then we have to consider that.

Last edited by reh321; 01-13-2020 at 05:31 PM.
01-13-2020, 05:32 PM - 8 Likes   #1373
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A few days before CP+ were some "leaked" information often through the same websites. In the past it was like now, since expected products have been shown under glass already, although specification are unknown, could be leaked before CP+.
I visited the Ricoh Imaging Square in Shinjuku on the 8th of January just before I left Japan and was told to expect more information about the new camera at CP+ in Yokohama. It's on 27 Feb 2020.
01-13-2020, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #1374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For architectural and landscape-type images, I lift the camera to my eye only after I have figured everything out - perspective, framing, unintended objects, etc. In that situation it does work. My wife always has reading material with her, because she knows that a "5 minute photo stop" is like the last five minutes of an American football game - it can stretch to 30 minutes.
What? No tripod????
01-13-2020, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #1375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I do hope the delay is to fit a moving screen. I’m fine with a dopey name as long as I get a flippy screen of some kind.
Me too ! I wouldn't entertain purchasing a "Flagship" model without one for more than 1 millisecond...........pffff.
01-14-2020, 03:35 AM   #1376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You already know I shoot both DSLR and mirrorless / SLT cameras with EVF. I'm one of the fortunate ones (not sure whether I'm in the majority or minority) that has no problem with EVFs, even older ones with lower resolution and/or lag (aside from the technical limitations, of course). But I totally get why, for someone who is sensitive to an EVF - for whatever reason, be it close viewing of a refreshing display, or motion lag, cameras using that technology aren't an attractive or perhaps even a practical option.

Regarding focus peaking with MF lenses, it's very useful once you get used to it, in my experience. Yes, it's overly optimistic, but you learn to find the mid-point where focus is most accurate - in much the same way as with an optical viewfinder, only easier to judge (for me, that is). It's also a useful indicator, believe it or not, for when AF has badly missed - a rare occurrence, but it happens. Going back to MF lenses, though, I find magnified view more useful and more consistently accurate than focus peaking, and it's one reason I use an EVF mirrorless camera with MF vintage lenses.

As for overlaid information, it has its uses, but I tend to keep it to a minimum. Real-time histogram is very useful in certain situations.

For all the uses I get from an EVF, I still far prefer the view through an optical viewfinder...
I guess my point more with regard to focus peaking, that I am only shooting with auto focus lenses and so it isn't important to me to have it -- particularly as it provides a weird shimmery look to an otherwise normal landscape. I understand that there are plenty of folks out there that shoot a lot with manual focus lenses, but there are actually more, like me, who mainly use auto focus. And yet, it seems that one of the main benefits of EVFs that gets dragged out regularly is the "better for manual focus" benefit.
01-14-2020, 04:24 AM - 4 Likes   #1377

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I visited the Ricoh Imaging Square in Shinjuku on the 8th of January just before I left Japan and was told to expect more information about the new camera at CP+ in Yokohama. It's on 27 Feb 2020.
The first "solid" rumour on this thread yet! Thanks for sharing.
01-14-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #1378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Me too ! I wouldn't entertain purchasing a "Flagship" model without one for more than 1 millisecond...........pffff.
That's how long I would hesitate. Despite finding articulated screens occasionally useful.
01-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #1379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's how long I would hesitate. Despite finding articulated screens occasionally useful.
I find very little usefulness in a screen that hangs out on the side, but much more that discretely flips out in back.
01-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #1380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I'd rather have a body that is more compact, with fewer things to fail on it, that also offers a really nice tethering app over Bluetooth. I can position my phone anywhere relative to the camera body for those times I want to do something like on-ground macro or whatever it is that the flippy screen would help me do.
Closed Thread