Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2020, 06:07 PM - 3 Likes   #1426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Wow, how in the world did photographers make exceptional landscape images all these years with out that "magic" moveable screen????
Well, on my Graflex, the screen is 10x15 cm, so maybe they were just big enough to not require moving

-Eric

02-13-2020, 06:14 PM   #1427
Pentaxian

I personally don't care about a swivel screen. If having one adds 1oz or 1mm of thickness or introduces a failure point or reduces WRness, I'd be happy with a fixed screen. Honestly, I've taken very few Live View photos with my K5. One of the reasons I don't consider mirrorless is because I like the Pentax viewfinder. In the age of flucards, it seems a swivel screen would be even less important.

Not to diminish anything that is important to anyone else, but "back to the stoneage" "forgive them for"... Just making a point that everyone feels the same way about the criticality of that feature.
02-13-2020, 06:26 PM - 3 Likes   #1428
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I personally don't care about a swivel screen. If having one adds 1oz or 1mm of thickness or introduces a failure point or reduces WRness, I'd be happy with a fixed screen. Honestly, I've taken very few Live View photos with my K5. One of the reasons I don't consider mirrorless is because I like the Pentax viewfinder. In the age of flucards, it seems a swivel screen would be even less important.

Not to diminish anything that is important to anyone else, but "back to the stoneage" "forgive them for"... Just making a point that everyone feels the same way about the criticality of that feature.
There are images have that could not be taken without Live View , focus confirm, and the tilt-screen (and pixel shift.)

Of course for some, such images are not in their frame of reference.
02-13-2020, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #1429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are images have that could not be taken without Live View , focus confirm, and the tilt-screen (and pixel shift.)

Of course for some, such images are not in their frame of reference.
Here is one taken without the aid of a flippy screen.

02-13-2020, 06:54 PM - 3 Likes   #1430
Pentaxian

Here is one taken without the aid of a flippy screen.
I have loads taken without a flippy screen. But of the type of shot I posted, compared to using focus confirm and live view you have no idea what you'll end up with. It's the precise placement of DOFin live view that makes them work.
02-13-2020, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #1431
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have loads taken without a flippy screen. But of the type of shot I posted, compared to using focus confirm and live view you have no idea what you'll end up with. It's the precise placement of DOFin live view that makes them work.
Just tweaking you a bit, Norm.
02-13-2020, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #1432
Pentaxian

Just tweaking you a bit, Norm.
Ya, I know, I'm a sucker for that.
Trouble is, I'd rather play the straight man than risk not taking someone who's serious seriously.

I mean, I am a straight man.

Not that there's anything wrong with being gay.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-20-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Naughty word
02-13-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #1433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya, I know, I'm a sucker for that.
Trouble is, I'd rather play the straight man than risk not taking someone who's serious seriously.

I mean, I am a straight man.

Not that there's anything wrong with being gay.
You got that straight.......man

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-20-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Quoted naughty word
02-13-2020, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, how in the world did photographers make exceptional landscape images all these years with out that "magic" moveable screen????
The same way they did it without WR, without high MP counts, or without sharp-corner-to-corner lenses: by putting up with things

The camera will be great with or without a flippy screen, but it will certainly be *better* with it.
02-13-2020, 11:10 PM - 3 Likes   #1435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
The early photos show that the screen is fixed...like myK5II.
Now in todays era, when almost every new camera has a swivel screen that even turn backwards for a selfie..what is Pentax's logic in going back to stoneage?
Also .. fans seem to forgive any blunder Pentax will do!!
If you need a camera with a swivel screen for macro, low level shooting etc Pentax already have them on selves. Get the KP or the K-1 and you are covered. Now those who seek for a fast wildlife, sports camera to replace/upgrade their K-3s the fixed screen is no problem at all. Only the D500 offers such a tilt screen if you want a sports camera and you can't live without the swivel screen.

Additional note: To make my point clear, I don't say that a flip screen would not be a plus on the K-new, I just say that there are SO MANY other crucial features and performance expectations from the new camera in order to be a successful sports camera to finally replace the old K-3 line that the flip screen is very low on my list and almost irrelevant in my assessment of the K-new and my decision to buy it... When Pentax announces a new sports camera and the first thing you notice/comment is that it lacks a flip screen something is wrong! Either you don't understand what the new camera is about or you are looking for KP in a different shell (no point in such a release).

Last edited by redpit; 02-14-2020 at 12:09 AM.
02-13-2020, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #1436
Pentaxian

I use the flip screen for macro and Moon/astro- basically anywhere that I would have to pretzel myself or crawl on the ground in order to get the shot. Not to have it on the new flagship seems an amazing miscalculation, but I may buy one anyway, knowing that it means that I'll have to carry around two different cameras or else take extra time setting up to use a phone or tablet with the WiFi- a pain after having a simple flip screen.
02-13-2020, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #1437

I take all my landscape shots on tripod and using liveview and for many compositions a flip screen would have been very welcome. That won't stop me buying K-new if others features are present but that is deceptive for a so called flagship camera. I expected the same screen as the K-1.
02-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #1438
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sure. Titltable screen only became popular in recent years on expensive camera models, after camera companies decided to trade-off the lower reliability of titl screen. There is no high tech involved in titl screen, it's just that a tilt screen is more exposed to damage and statistical less reliable over time. Reliability was always a concern for me, the K1 design is well done, but that's not the case of many other camera models.
02-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #1439
Pentaxian

K-1/K-1II screen is design masterpiece in that terms. That should be sold as one of its key features, but we known how the advertising works for our brand.
02-14-2020, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #1440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
K-1/K-1II screen is design masterpiece in that terms. That should be sold as one of its key features, but we known how the advertising works for our brand.
You are right. Having tried the GFX50S, I can tell you that the movable screen is as flimsy as in the entry level apsc models. Not wanting to bash any brand, but I think having a flimsy movable screen on multi-thousand $$ MF camera is a shame.
Closed Thread