Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #1486
Pentaxian

You are correct that it does'nt quite work, but I think the intention is that it should work ... somehow(from the manual):

QuoteQuote:
When Expanded Area AF is set to 'On' in AF Settings [...], if your subject briefly moves out from the focus point that was selected when the focus mode was set to AF.C, the camera will continue to focus on your subject based on information from the focus points (back-up focus points) surrounding the selected focus point.
One problem with this feature is that the focus points are so far between that when the subject moves away from the chosen focus point, it never reaches any of the surrounding focus points, so they find something else to focus on. It might have worked better with 27 focus points, like on the K-3, but we'll never know.

02-17-2020, 03:59 AM   #1487
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
You are correct that it does'nt quite work, but I think the intention is that it should work ... somehow(from the manual):

One problem with this feature is that the focus points are so far between that when the subject moves away from the chosen focus point, it never reaches any of the surrounding focus points, so they find something else to focus on. It might have worked better with 27 focus points, like on the K-3, but we'll never know.
It doesn't matter.
What matters is that there's a significant difference between the older SAFOX versions and the current ones (supported by more advanced metering systems). We have to be aware of this, rather than assuming no Pentax camera does better than a K-5IIs.

And we're expecting a new SAFOX version.
02-17-2020, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1488
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It doesn't matter.
What matters is that there's a significant difference between the older SAFOX versions and the current ones (supported by more advanced metering systems). We have to be aware of this, rather than assuming no Pentax camera does better than a K-5IIs.

And we're expecting a new SAFOX version.
I do not think anybody assumed the k5 II being at the same level as kp or k1 II.
02-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #1489
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I do not think anybody assumed the k5 II being at the same level as kp or k1 II.
I do not think the now not so new AF improvements were publicized enough.
And yes, it was assumed that the "expanded area AF" works the same, except it doesn't as there's no scene analysis by shape color on the older cameras...

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I shoot a Nikon D7200 on occasion. When using 3D tracking, just place the dot on the subject or whatever you're following & hold the back button to initiate tracking. It doesn't matter if you move or the subject moves, the dot will stay on the intended subject.
Isn't a good thing to know that Pentax attempts the same thing?

02-17-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #1490
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Exactly. My point was, the K-5II/IIs might do better with 27 focus points than just 11, but of course not as good as the K-3/K-3II, with their newer SAFOX engine. But for all we know, adding focus points to the K-5 wouldn't do any good. It might anyway go looking for things to focus on all over the frame except for were you want it to focus.
02-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #1491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From my K200D, then K-30 and now K-3 there have been steady improvements in Autofocus tracking, I'm sure it holds true as well from K-5/II/IIs, to K-3/II, to K-70, to KP, to K-1/II.
The K200D was just slow across the board. The K-30 was much snappier and I never had an issue using expanded AF in AF.C whether using Center/Spot focus or select. It always tracked without issue unless something got between the subject and the camera, however, it would re-acquire just fine. I can't count the number of times, I saw a bird in flight, grabbed the camera, powered it on, panned or pointed and fired with perfect focus.
The K-3 just has more AF points to use with tracking compared to the K-30 but they cover the same field of width. The K-3 just has narrower AF points plus AF hold to maintain the subject distance when panning with things that come between you and the subject. I haven't had any issues with using expanded AF on either the K-30 or K-3. It's proven to be very reliable in use. Between the K-30 and K-3, the K-3 seems quicker to track however, that could just be because there's more AF points to use so it appears to be faster. But at the end of the day, it works for me to get the images I want without issue.
Everyone has different techniques and maybe that's the fundamental difference.
02-19-2020, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #1492
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
then K-30
The K-30 was the first camera after Pentax announced it was going to improve it's auto-focus. It even has a new lens element in the AF system compared to older cameras.

02-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #1493
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today is the 20th in Japan - 7 days before the original start date of the cancelled CP+ show. Will we start getting release info, leaks or hints?
02-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #1494
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think they are now busy figuring out an alternative way of presenting any news. I hope though that we get an official announcement with full specs and product photos.
02-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #1495
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I think they are now busy figuring out an alternative way of presenting any news. I hope though that we get an official announcement with full specs and product photos.
We've hit 100 pages if that means anything.
02-19-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #1496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We've hit 100 pages if that means anything.
Do I need to just go on back to sleep???
02-19-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #1497
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
sn't a good thing to know that Pentax attempts the same thing?
It worked perfectly on this K-3 shot with the DA*200.

It was very cool to see the different AF points flashing tracking the birds.
02-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #1498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It worked perfectly on this K-3 shot with the DA*200.

It was very cool to see the different AF points flashing tracking the birds.
Yep when it works it's enjoyable to see them light up!! Captured with the PLM, I had to tell DXO a fib to be able to process this one using the DA 55-300 f/4-5.8 ED WR lens profile.

Kerplunk!..Bonaparte's Gulls watching a buddy hit the water and disappear
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
02-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #1499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Today is the 20th in Japan - 7 days before the original start date of the cancelled CP+ show. Will we start getting release info, leaks or hints?
The whole point of the first post in this thread is that Pentax doesn’t march to our drum - they will announce under their time, and there is no reason to believe that they’ll announce anything more before Summer.
02-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #1500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The whole point of the first post in this thread is that Pentax doesn’t march to our drum - they will announce under their time, and there is no reason to believe that they’ll announce anything more before Summer.
?????? What?????? Where did that come from?
Closed Thread