Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #1516
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I never had a single situation where I wished for more than 36MPx.
4K is enough.

---------- Post added 20-02-20 at 13:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Still, I think they are working hard on that new gear.
I don't know if they are working hard on it or not. If they keep using the old milbeaut processor, they'll be on the worst cameras of the years list.

02-20-2020, 05:35 AM   #1517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
4K is enough.[COLOR="Silver"]
For me, yes. But there are a lot of 8k devices comming now.
Remember the old Bill Gates statement (which he possibly never said)?
02-20-2020, 06:13 AM   #1518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It is clear that there is no real date available to public. Thus, Pentax should cancel this APS-C thing and announce K-1 MK3 using the new 61MP Sony sensor. MK2 is 2-year old re-released MK1 with an extra sugar coating on top of the cake.
You are such a comedian!!!
02-20-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #1519
Veteran Member

Awww, sir, I do like K-1 a lot. I have now owned K-1 MKII for almost two years far surpassing any period of owning other brand gear. Heck, it is almost four years combined I have used Pentax gear in a row starting from K-1 MK1. But I still think MKII was slacking a bit compared to MK1 release. 61MP Sony sensor would do wonders with properly implemented Pixel-Shift (which Sony failed to do). But that is yet another case where processing power needs a large boost over current technology.

02-20-2020, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Awww, sir, I do like K-1 a lot. I have now owned K-1 MKII for almost two years far surpassing any period of owning other brand gear. Heck, it is almost four years combined I have used Pentax gear in a row starting from K-1 MK1. But I still think MKII was slacking a bit compared to MK1 release. 61MP Sony sensor would do wonders with properly implemented Pixel-Shift (which Sony failed to do). But that is yet another case where processing power needs a large boost over current technology.
My comedian statement was referencing this statement from you, which I hope was in jest.
QuoteQuote:
Thus, Pentax should cancel this APS-C thing and announce K-1 MK3
. What Ricoh/Pentax does after that depends on them. What you possibly fail to realize is that there are many Pentax shooters who never went to the K-1 series nor the APS-C format KP but have stayed with the APS-C format for many more years than you have been shooting with your K-1 so they deserve the K-New when ever it is released before a new full frame DSLR sees the the market.
02-20-2020, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1521
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I still prefer higher fps, more dynamic range and less noise over higher resolution.
I never had a single situation where I wished for more than 36MPx.
Tess is still shooting her 16 MP K-5 and has no plans to upgrade. She does like taking the K-1 out for a spin every now and then, but not nearly as often as some might think. But there you have it. Many days she could take the K-1 and doesn't. It's not the slam dunk everyone seems to think it should be. And that's talking 16 MP. I've talked to wedding pros who claimed 12 MP was all they needed. You have to ask, where is all this "more MP" stuff helping us?

Last edited by normhead; 02-20-2020 at 07:24 AM.
02-20-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #1522
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
...where is all this "more MP" stuff helping us?
Opinions always vary, even though facts do not.

02-20-2020, 07:42 AM - 4 Likes   #1523
Pentaxian

Well, I do hope Ricoh throws us APS-C shooters a bone sometime soon - I've been shooting my K-3 for over five years. K-70 is from 2016, KP from 2017, neither of which could be my main body. I remember being disappointed that the K-70 didn't get the K-3's AF module four years ago, and that model is still today the Pentax entry-level proposition. I've actually been eyeing used K-3II bodies on Ebay for a while, as well as considering other systems. Ricoh could have sold me a new camera quite a while ago.

They've been parading that prototype around. At least partial specs and a planned release date would be nice...!
02-20-2020, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #1524
Pentaxian

I've talked to wedding pros who claimed 12 MP was all they needed. ou have to ask, where is all this "more MP" stuff helping us?
More mega pixels helps when shooting small birds not close enough, so you can still crop 800pixels into the image and post it in the 300mm+ lens thread.
02-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #1525
Pentaxian

More mega pixels helps when shooting small birds not close enough, so you can still crop 800pixels into the image and post it in the 300mm+ lens thread.
The loss of definition from shooting too far away usually makes those images less than desirable in any case. Over sampling is your friend. And more mega pixels makes the different types of moire more likely to occur. It's always a trade off.

I like long heavily cropped shots for bird ID. Very few are print quality, unless you include a lot of context.

If this is what you want

This won't do...

But shots with a smaller bird and bit of context can be quite nice as well.

For the most part, over sampled looks best.
02-20-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #1526
Pentaxian

I like long heavily cropped shots for bird ID. Very few are print quality, unless you include a lot of context.
Having the subject big relative to the frame deliver both detail and pixels. David Yarrow prints 180cm x 180cm from a D800, D810... his trick is simple, he shot elephants with a wide angle lens, a lot of square crops where the lens is sharpest, that's how he can blow it large and still show impressive detail, from a 24x36mm sensor.. For a bird, if the bird is 1/3rd of the frame, there are a lot of pixels to show bird details even with a lot pixel count sensor. I'd rather see a race of digital sensor size rather than a race of pixel count.
02-20-2020, 07:59 AM - 4 Likes   #1527
Forum Member

I understand the need to be patient, and it's not unreasonable. However, I personally find the lack of information or willingness to share details on a new APS-C camera a bit frustrating when I see Nikon, Sony, FujiFilm, Canon all making consistent, regular upgrades to their full lineups on a more frequent basis. I get that Pentax has a smaller market share, and maybe less funds and resources to follow suit.

Many folks have invested heavily in the Pentax ecosystem, and many like the APS-C format. It's not unreasonable to expect more from a platform we have put a lot of money and effort into to expect - at the very least - some information on what's coming. If I feel the need or desire to upgrade my camera (for any reason), Pentax shouldn't put me in a position where I have to throw my arms up and say screw it, I'm not waiting for something that I don't even know is coming, with improvements that nobody knows will even be there, when I can get something better right now from a competitor. I get we as consumers can be impatient, often perhaps going for the latest and greatest without necessarily needing it. But if we want to do that, that's our choice and there's an expectation that those whom provide those products keep up with those desires.

I'm not trying to come off as trashing Pentax - I've gotten great use out of the cameras I've owned and the lenses I have. But from a brand perspective and community engagement perspective, I just don't like being left in the dark when I see the competition being far more open and straight forward. I would think the writing is on the wall here and someone would say, "Hey, don't jump ship just yet, we've got his coming and you're going to love it because it's going to have x feature and y feature." I find it hard to believe they don't have many of the details worked out on their new APS-C flagship by now - and if they don't... that's very telling and very concerning.
02-20-2020, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #1528
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcleary47 Quote
It's not unreasonable to expect more from a platform we have put a lot of money and effort into to expect
Corporate bean counters don't think that way, bean counters all think the same way with an excel spreadsheet regardless the product is a bag of rice, or an ILC camera with a century of legacy lenses.
02-20-2020, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1529
Pentaxian

Having the subject big relative to the frame deliver both detail and pixels. David Yarrow prints 180cm x 180cm from a D800, D810... his trick is simple, he shot elephants with a wide angle lens, a lot of square crops where the lens is sharpest, that's how he can blow it large and still show impressive detail, from a 24x36mm sensor.. For a bird, if the bird is 1/3rd of the frame, there are a lot of pixels to show bird details even with a lot pixel count sensor. I'd rather see a race of digital sensor size rather than a race of pixel count.
Or as is often quoted, "if you don't like your pictures, get closer." Shooting wide angle instead of telephoto definitely means the same as getting closer.
02-20-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #1530
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcleary47 Quote
I just don't like being left in the dark when I see the competition being far more open and straight forward
The new camera business now is not like in the past. In the past you'd build up your lenses when money allowed and upgrade cameras for the same lenses when the new camera model features are worth the upgrade. Now, you return all your old cameras and lenses to the camera shop and you buy a whole new system of the brand that offer the bodies and lenses of your choice, because no one know which brand is still going to make cameras tomorrow.
Closed Thread