Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #1531
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The new camera business now is not like in the past. In the past you'd build up your lenses when money allowed and upgrade cameras for the same lenses when the new camera model features are worth the upgrade. Now, you return all your old cameras and lenses to the camera shop and you buy a whole new system of the brand that offer the bodies and lenses of your choice, because no one know which brand is still going to make cameras tomorrow.
That is the way we talk, but I'm not sure how true it is. I still have the film body I purchased in 1983 {see left side of my signature photo}. All the cameras in my signature photo still work - I still own all of them and still shoot with all of them. However, the lens kitted with the 1983 camera no longer focuses to infinity {I'm guessing it's lubrication is drying}; I still own both it and the 18-55mm lens kitted with my K-30, but I don't shoot with either of them regularly - I use the 18-135mm DC lens I purchased within a week of purchasing the K-30 {used}.

02-20-2020, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The new camera business now is not like in the past. In the past you'd build up your lenses when money allowed and upgrade cameras for the same lenses when the new camera model features are worth the upgrade. Now, you return all your old cameras and lenses to the camera shop and you buy a whole new system of the brand that offer the bodies and lenses of your choice, because no one know which brand is still going to make cameras tomorrow.
Is that what you do? It isn't what I do.
02-20-2020, 09:46 AM - 5 Likes   #1533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do many people actually do that? I did some math sometime last year and if I sold all of my Pentax stuff that I've accumulated over the past eight years I could get a new Fuji body and maybe 3-4 lenses new. I don't have a camera shop anywhere close, so I'd be spending a lot of time and effort trying to sell all my stuff, probably here.

That's a reason for much brand loyalty. It's an expensive pain to switch. The gains would have to be large, which they're usually not.
02-20-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #1534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you imagine how less value lenses and bodies would hold if people were dumping entire kits based on rumors and such? "I would like to upgrade my existing 16mpx crop body to something newer. Time to dump all this stuff and get an entire new collection of glass with a body to match."

p.s. nobody but Pentax offers the DA 15 so no thanks to all that.

02-20-2020, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

That's a reason for much brand loyalty. It's an expensive pain to switch. The gains would have to be large, which they're usually not.
It's almost like, for most folks' needs, all brands do the job
Honestly, in 2020 unless you have *very* specific high-performance needs any manufacturer will have you covered. In my humble, noobish opinion, a rational decision will be mostly a matter of "soft" specs¹/ergonomics/budget/personal preference.

¹Read weather sealing, number of control wheels and buttons, viewfinder quality, you name it.
02-20-2020, 11:51 AM - 4 Likes   #1536
Veteran Member

I think biz is quite right. I used to play that kind of "fool's trade game" until I realized my style always gives me similar input no matter what the device is.

Overall attitude locally in Finland seems similar - it's all about gear even if people cannot admit it in public. "Oh wowzer new MILC lens...maybe I should...no..." and then after a month the same dude has like traded his brains, identity and gear at the same time.
02-20-2020, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #1537
Pentaxian

The Corona mess will very probably be another reason for us to wait again a few month more for this flagship to be announced...

02-20-2020, 12:41 PM - 3 Likes   #1538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Do many people actually do that? I did some math sometime last year and if I sold all of my Pentax stuff that I've accumulated over the past eight years I could get a new Fuji body and maybe 3-4 lenses new. I don't have a camera shop anywhere close, so I'd be spending a lot of time and effort trying to sell all my stuff, probably here.That's a reason for much brand loyalty. It's an expensive pain to switch. The gains would have to be large, which they're usually not.
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Honestly, in 2020 unless you have *very* specific high-performance needs any manufacturer will have you covered. In my humble, noobish opinion, a rational decision will be mostly a matter of "soft" specs¹/ergonomics/budget/personal preference.
I tend to agree with both of these perspectives.

I have thought about whether moving to Fuji APS-C would enhance my (amateur) photography. My son recently bought a Fuji X-T3 along with two zooms -- XF 18-55mm f/3.5-4.8 and XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8. I had a chance to test and try the camera for a week, before he picked it up at our home.

I have to say, I like a lot about the X-T3, and the two lenses are really good. The menu system is intuitive; the controls are responsive; and I didn't miss doing an AF Fine Adjustment. With a $50 adapter, I even got to try several of my older Pentax lenses. For his usage and needs, it's a great kit. I passed my Pentax-M 50/1.7 and the adapter to him.

But, you know what? At no point did I conclude that a Fuji kit would improve my photography or bring significantly better images than my K-3 II kit. To move to Fuji, I'd need to sell most of my Pentax gear to raise some funds, and pay an extra $3,000 beyond those proceeds. Kinda expensive for a shiny new toy, albeit a very capable one.

But the cost is not the only drawback:
  • Fuji doesn't have a 300mm prime to replace my DA* 300/4.
  • 200mm? The XF 200mm f/2 prime sells for CAD $7,800. Yikes.
  • The XF 50-140 is a stellar lens by all accounts, but it's CAD $2,000, roughly twice the price of my DA* 50-135.
  • They have nothing like the sweet HD 20-40mm Limited.
  • A number of their prime lenses sell for less than $7-800, but they tend to be f/2 or narrower. That's not a big advantage over my Pentax primes.
  • Few of the Fuji primes are optically-stabilized (neither is the X-T3).
  • The XF 35mm f/1.4, which I would consider as a replacement for my HD 35mm Limited, is reported to be quite soft in the corners until f/4 or f/5.6.
  • The 56mm f/1.2 lens is supposed to be excellent and is highly-regarded. But at a price of CAD $1,300, I think I'll stick with my SMC K 50/1.2 for those few times when I need the wide aperture.
So, I guess I'm stuck with my Pentax! My fortune!

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-20-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: correction
02-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #1539

Meh. Patiently waiting on Pentax. Not really interested in the X-T4 and the Nikon D6 and D780 are like WT(beeeep)!!? Best staying with my old gear that works just fine. Canon is offering rather interesting new models but i really can't afford to jump ship. Also Sigma has cut of it's foveon full frame which is is annoying me to no end. considering the factory was already setup for the whole process. What were they thinking?

Although the recent news about Ricoh taking the Pentax name of the the school entirely doesn't bode well. Sounds more like the bullying of Pentax. I kind of got a good laugh about the recent rumors about the L-mount alliance looking for a new partner and people were dumping Pentax into that. Not going to happen.
02-20-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #1540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No one who has said anything about it knows anything.

Stop giving credit to random internet posts.
OoKU usually knows.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-20-2020 at 03:03 PM.
02-20-2020, 02:53 PM - 4 Likes   #1541
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess is still shooting her 16 MP K-5 and has no plans to upgrade. She does like taking the K-1 out for a spin every now and then, but not nearly as often as some might think. But there you have it. Many days she could take the K-1 and doesn't. It's not the slam dunk everyone seems to think it should be. And that's talking 16 MP. I've talked to wedding pros who claimed 12 MP was all they needed. You have to ask, where is all this "more MP" stuff helping us?
The K-5 was a special camera.
02-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #1542
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcleary47 Quote
I understand the need to be patient, and it's not unreasonable. However, I personally find the lack of information or willingness to share details on a new APS-C camera a bit frustrating when I see Nikon, Sony, FujiFilm, Canon all making consistent, regular upgrades to their full lineups on a more frequent basis. I get that Pentax has a smaller market share, and maybe less funds and resources to follow suit.

Many folks have invested heavily in the Pentax ecosystem, and many like the APS-C format. It's not unreasonable to expect more from a platform we have put a lot of money and effort into to expect - at the very least - some information on what's coming. If I feel the need or desire to upgrade my camera (for any reason), Pentax shouldn't put me in a position where I have to throw my arms up and say screw it, I'm not waiting for something that I don't even know is coming, with improvements that nobody knows will even be there, when I can get something better right now from a competitor. I get we as consumers can be impatient, often perhaps going for the latest and greatest without necessarily needing it. But if we want to do that, that's our choice and there's an expectation that those whom provide those products keep up with those desires.

I'm not trying to come off as trashing Pentax - I've gotten great use out of the cameras I've owned and the lenses I have. But from a brand perspective and community engagement perspective, I just don't like being left in the dark when I see the competition being far more open and straight forward. I would think the writing is on the wall here and someone would say, "Hey, don't jump ship just yet, we've got his coming and you're going to love it because it's going to have x feature and y feature." I find it hard to believe they don't have many of the details worked out on their new APS-C flagship by now - and if they don't... that's very telling and very concerning.
That's a reasonable, well-thought-through and valid position, but I'd respectfully suggest it's not everyone's...

As I've said before in other threads over the last few years, I have zero expectations of Ricoh / Pentax beyond what I bought and what was available to go with it at the time I purchased it. Heck, even if Ricoh (or any other brand) promised, hand on heart, some product was coming soon, I wouldn't plan for it or even fully believe it, necessarily. I certainly wouldn't depend on it. The thing is, we're in a very difficult market, and Ricoh / Pentax is a small player in that market. I've no doubt it changes its plans on a fairly frequent basis, and doesn't want to commit to deliveries it can't guarantee. Whatever it does or doesn't tell us, I choose to assume there's good reason behind it, but I don't have to assume it foretells anything warranting my concern.

All of us who've been using Pentax for some time are now well aware of Ricoh's approach to customer communication. Some are frustrated by it. Even I, relaxed though I am, would prefer more communication... but I don't get frustrated over the lack of it. With respect, I think to expect (rather than hope for) anything beyond what we bought, paid for and got in return is folly. We bought products... products that make up a system, yes, and we all hope that system will survive and grow... but, if it doesn't, we got what we paid for. In my view, the contract was fulfilled. Anything beyond that is butter, so to speak.

I'm not trying to shoot down your opinion... I just wanted to add mine as balance and a different perspective or approach
02-20-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1543
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's almost like, for most folks' needs, all brands do the job

¹Read weather sealing, number of control wheels and buttons, viewfinder quality, you name it.
In many respects the K5lls is my “best” camera but AF tech has moved on (KP) and K-1 is FF. I could just keep KP and five Limiteds bu I don’t want to. Ricoh isn’t satisfying the Want It buyers. The Want It buyers pay the bills.
02-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #1544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In many respects the K5lls is my “best” camera but AF tech has moved on (KP) and K-1 is FF. I could just keep KP and five Limiteds bu I don’t want to. Ricoh isn’t satisfying the Want It buyers. The Want It buyers pay the bills.
Sure; with free to play games, a handful of very heavy spenders keep the servers up for everyone else. That, however, does not make the point any different... "wants" and "needs" are completely separate and, one could argue, the "wants" are irrational. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. I certainly didn't need a K-1...
02-20-2020, 03:23 PM - 5 Likes   #1545
Veteran Member

I rely heavily on the "Want it Buyers" Nothing pleases me more than when some one sells perfectly functional gear at a discount because Pentax comes out with something new. Often their discards are "new" to me, other times they are copies of something I already have and value. I could never afford to have half the cool Pentax gear I have if people didn't indulge that urge for the latest and greatest. I have the deepest respect for other people with deep wallets as they help me make the most of my shallow wallet.
al
Closed Thread