Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #1561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, you miss my point (or I explained it poorly)... I understand that folks want new cameras and lenses. I want them too It's the frustration I don't understand...
Sorry, I guess I kind of missed that. But isn't frustration a natural outcome of unmet wants?

02-21-2020, 06:14 AM - 3 Likes   #1562
Veteran Member

Does a watched pot really boil slower than one you set on the stove and leave to do other things? NOPE.But being preoccupied does make the time go by faster. Can't think of a more appropriate way to get ones mind off "K-NEW AND IMPROVED" then to take out "K-Old and Proven" and use it alot. Afterall, this could be hashed out on a forum for years to come and it will have zero effect on the future camera releases by Ricoh.

I do think though if it were ready they would have released it... and its far better to have it delayed than to have it released with issues. Just think of the reviews it would receive at other sites not to mention the threads here on its short comings and failures and omissions, and everything else its not that someone feels it should be. I think a cautious and careful Ricoh makes much more sense given their market position. I suspect what ever camera they release needs to be well designed and tested carefully and thoroughly given the time they put into it.

It will happen... when is up to Ricoh...in the meantime, we have no shortage of great gear to use.Happy shooting.

AL
02-21-2020, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #1563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
It's human nature to want new, exciting, innovative things that we don't necessarily need. If we only bought from need the economy would be a tiny fraction of what it is. We'd all drive Nissan Versas or take the bus, and live in 500 square foot apartments. We'd eat generic nutritive tablets instead of going to good restaurants, television would be a single channel looping on local public service announcements, and we'd only take photographs to document specific things for work with a basic, functional low-end camera.

We want an awesome new Pentax APS-C camera with a hybrid viewfinder and ridiculous tracking autofocus because we're people and it's cool. And it won't cost quite as much as an Audi RS6 Avant.
Not necessarily. Model replacement rate for most things (clothes, cars, phones, cameras, any consumer stuff really) has sped up dramatically in the last decades. This is because the standards of living in the first world are now so high that only an onslaught of marketing keeps the consumerism rolling. Sure, the economy at large would contract otherwise, but there is a giant problem lying in wait if we keep going this way and don't reevaluate our way of living (collectively speaking). That, however, is a whole other can of worms and certainly not suitable discussion for this forum
02-21-2020, 06:31 AM   #1564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Does a watched pot really boil slower than one you set on the stove and leave to do other things? NOPE.But being preoccupied does make the time go by faster. Can't think of a more appropriate way to get ones mind off "K-NEW AND IMPROVED" then to take out "K-Old and Proven" and use it alot. Afterall, this could be hashed out on a forum for years to come and it will have zero effect on the future camera releases by Ricoh.

I do think though if it were ready they would have released it... and its far better to have it delayed than to have it released with issues. Just think of the reviews it would receive at other sites not to mention the threads here on its short comings and failures and omissions, and everything else its not that someone feels it should be. I think a cautious and careful Ricoh makes much more sense given their market position. I suspect what ever camera they release needs to be well designed and tested carefully and thoroughly given the time they put into it.

It will happen... when is up to Ricoh...in the meantime, we have no shortage of great gear to use.Happy shooting.

AL
That is for certain. Just the other day I encountered on another Forum a former Pentax user who had just recently switched to Nikon by purchasing an elderly D300 from KEH. Why had he switched?? Because he had owned a K-50; when the aperture control failed with a shutter count of under 2000 and Pentax refused to talk to him about a refund, he had switched brands. Please don't tell me that is extreme behavior - I have already told him that - but they are in a better position when they have taken all prudent steps available to a corporation run by human beings.

02-21-2020, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #1565
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is for certain. Just the other day I encountered on another Forum a former Pentax user who had just recently switched to Nikon by purchasing an elderly D300 from KEH. Why had he switched?? Because he had owned a K-50; when the aperture control failed with a shutter count of under 2000 and Pentax refused to talk to him about a refund, he had switched brands. Please don't tell me that is extreme behavior - I have already told him that - but they are in a better position when they have taken all prudent steps available to a corporation run by human beings.
Although it is a rather extreme reaction it is also understandable for me.
02-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #1566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, if my barely used camera derped out from a well known manufacturing error, Pentax' behaviour would have meant an automatic blacklisting of the brand.

Heck, I have stopped using Flixbus entirely after they stiffed me out of 50€. A several-hundreds camera? You bet...
02-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #1567
Pentaxian

To me, thinking I need new gear is a result of not getting out an using what I have. Driving the 20 KM back from the park yesterday, I was thinking about the images I got, the ones I came for and didn't get of a Red Crossbill, and generally pretty happy with my afternoon.

The disaster of the day was pictures lost because somehow , handling the camera with my mitts on I managed to turn on the 2 second timer. I had to sit down in the cafeteria of the Visitors Centre and figure it out, it was way to cold outside. Somehow the thought of new camera gear never entered my head. Some of the time I was weighing whether I should have brought the 55-300 instead of the 60-250, or left the them both and worked with the DA*200 2.8. I really don't see how the new DFA 70-210 helps with this issue.

MY guess is most of the desire to have a new camera to think about comes from too much spare time.

If my K-3 broke right now I'd just buy a K-P or a second hand K-3ii. Either would be an upgrade. It's not like there isn't something out there.

02-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #1568
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To me, thinking I need new gear is a result of not getting out an using what I have.
If you go to the DFA lens reviews section here, you'll notice the only tele lens under 2kg is the 70-210. To me it's getting out with the DFA70-200 that makes me thinking I should get a DFA70-210 after I carry it for a few hours, of just go out with only the 28-105 because carrying 2kg extra is out of the question. I think that's why Ricoh decided to make the 7-210 f4 available. Although, as matter of trust or price, I would only buy that lens if it was cheap or if Ricoh would show signs of life in their Pentax departement, there is no way I'll keep investing in expensive Pentax gear if I don't have a clue whether they'll keep Pentax alive or not (our retailers here have stopped selling Pentax, although they are still on the official list from Ricoh website, they are actually not selling Pentax anymore).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-21-2020 at 07:39 AM.
02-21-2020, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #1569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If my K-3 broke right now I'd just buy a K-P or a second hand K-3ii. Either would be an upgrade. It's not like there isn't something out there.
Unfortunately for me, the last time I checked there was a paucity K-3 II's available from the places where I usually buy my cameras. That concerns me (personally) more than the lack of a new APS-C body.

Not sure the KP would be a good replacement for my K-3 II, since I use mostly legacy long teles with the K-3 II + battery grip. I think - but I haven't actually tried - the KP wouldn't feel as good in that scenario. All other scenarios I use my K-70 or K-01.

I realize I'm the fringiest of the fringe...
02-21-2020, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #1570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, the issue is primarily that Pentax/Ricoh has not released a target date. They have said they are working on something and hinted that it will be good.

In my opinion, the simple thing would be to set a date that they are sure they can hit -- October 26th or whatever. If they somehow manage to get things done before then no one will be bothered if they release the camera early, but it's better to have an official date out there than to have people arguing back and forth with the optimists arguing that it will be ready the end of summer and the pessimists saying maybe 2022 if at all...
02-21-2020, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #1571
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In my opinion, the simple thing would be to set a date that they are sure they can hit -- October 26th or whatever. If they somehow manage to get things done before then no one will be bothered if they release the camera early, but it's better to have an official date out there than to have people arguing back and forth with the optimists arguing that it will be ready the end of summer and the pessimists saying maybe 2022 if at all...
I don't think it would work as well as you hope.
The "pessimists" would still claim the date is bogus and the camera will be postponed (to maybe 2022 if at all ). And if Ricoh Imaging would not manage to meet the deadline...
02-21-2020, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #1572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The "pessimists" would still claim the date is bogus and the camera will be postponed (to maybe 2022 if at all ). And if Ricoh Imaging would not manage to meet the deadline...
My point is that there should be an official date that they believe they can meet. Obviously if it is official it should mean something more. In addition, the point would be for them to have date they are sure they can meet. If that is January 1st of 2021, so be it, but the way it works now, people's expectations create dates based on different theories and then discouragement reigns as those dates get bypassed and push back.
02-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #1573
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be interesting to see Ricoh use this in the next APSC body - new Sony IMX671AQR 43mp 8k sensor
02-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #1574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Mentioning "2022 if at all" is totally unreasonable here.
02-21-2020, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #1575
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
It would be interesting to see Ricoh use this in the next APSC body - new Sony IMX671AQR 43mp 8k sensor
I do not hope so. Why put high resolution sensors into aps-c bodies? Does not make much sense for me.
Closed Thread